Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-09, 7:02pm

Default Hot glass blowing question

O.K., so money is tight and I was spending way too much on lampworking clear as a base for blowing ornaments. I am using Reichenbach, Kuglar, And Gaffer 96+-Coe colors for the decoration. Will spectrum 96 casting clear be compatible? Will it Blow Well?

Here is the link
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=122&pID=1768

Thanks for any input. Your help has been invaluable.
Old 2009-02-09, 10:32pm

It should be fairly compatible. The blowing colors are notorious for the need to test. The coe can vary with color. From my experience blowing, yellows were the biggest offenders. If you are using mostly frit on top of bubbles, you'll probably be ok.

Recently I had tried some spruce pine batch with some 96 frit, and they all cracked, but I don't remember which spruce pine formula it was.

Good Luck!

Mary
Old 2009-02-09, 10:57pm

While I've never used the System96 Casting Clear, all of Uroboros' System96 line is tested compatible. I've been blowing System96 nuggets for a few years now and have found it to be as compatible with Reichenbach, Gaffer, Kugler, and Zimmerman as any other batch, cullet, or nugget clear I've used.

It(System96) works a little stiffer and shorter than Spruce Pine's Labino 87, but other than that, no big difference.

Here is something to consider though... the casting blocks are $3.22 a pound and System96 nuggets are only $.74 a pound. There should be no noticable difference in clarity in small scale work.

So come up to the lab and see what's on the slab...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-09, 11:00pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieson View Post
While I've never used the System96 Casting Clear, all of Uroboros' System96 line is tested compatible. I've been blowing System96 nuggets for a few years now and have found it to be as compatible with Reichenbach, Gaffer, Kugler, and Zimmerman as any other batch, cullet, or nugget clear I've used.

It(System96) works a little stiffer and shorter than Spruce Pine's Labino 87, but other than that, no big difference.

Here is something to consider though... the casting blocks are $3.22 a pound and System96 nuggets are only $.74 a pound. There should be no noticable difference in clarity in small scale work.
What he said

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2009-02-10, 5:00am

Thanks so much everyone.

I don't know any one local using the system 96 nuggets so I didn't have a way to test a small amount. Would they be o.k to melt in the flame or a mini glory hole on the end of a punty(looking into getting a murphy fire bucket) and just use as is or do they need to be melted and held at temp for a while to be useable?

Thanks again, totally hooked on blowing glass.
Old 2009-02-10, 9:38am

Allison, the nuggets are ready to go. There's nothing to cook down like you would with batch glass. If you were to melt in a flame or punty up in a gloryhole, it would be best to preheat them in the kiln first, they're thick enough to pop and crack pretty good if you just plunge them into melting temps.

My suspicion is that the casting blocks and the nuggets are the same glass, just in a different form. But that's just an uneducated hunch.

Old 2009-02-10, 12:02pm

Is there anyone selling System96 nuggets in less that 50lb. lots?

Robert
Old 2009-02-10, 7:43pm

Thats great. I tried out the casting today and it worked really well.Blows nice.
I would so love to pay a dollar a pound for glass.

What size are the nuggets?

Thanks so much for your help everyone. This so beats $13.00 a pound

very gratefull,
Old 2009-02-11, 8:16am

Alison, they're about the size and shape of a Totino's Pizza Roll, perhaps slightly larger.

Old 2009-02-11, 5:10pm

I found a supplier right here in Atlanta. I gotta buy 50 lb, though.

R
Old 2009-02-11, 5:44pm

Thanks Prairieson,
That is a great size.

RSimmons,
I'll pay shipping to Maryland on half if you want to split it. I don't paypal but can send you a check or money order. 50 lbs. is a lot of glass to experiment with.
Old 2009-02-12, 12:37pm

Alison - I ordered a 50# bag today, probably pick it up tomorrow. I'll be in touch.

Robert
Old 2009-02-12, 5:32pm

Thanks Robert.