Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-02, 11:49am

Default mini glory hole questions

I have read older threads here about these and I know the murphy fire bucket did not get rave reviews.
but I believe someone different is making them now. Has anyone bought or used one recently?

http://www.fusionheadquarters.com/Pa...irebucket.html

For under $600 for the whole kit including regulator it sounds too good to be true. I am just looking to be able to melt enough glass for 3-4" ornaments and to be able to pull larger amounts of murrini and cane. Do you think this would be workable?
Is there something better out thee for around the same price?

Thanks so much for any input,
Old 2009-02-02, 12:20pm
No Problem!

I was an aid in a workshop taught by Gil Reynolds the founder of Fusion, he incorporated the fire bucket to pull pattern bars. It works fine for smaller things like that. It has a 5" opening so a little smaller than that would be your limit. It can be a pretty nice addition for a beadmaker/marblemaker workshop for elaborate murrini and simply pulling out more cane at one time.
Without a crucible kiln for taking gathers out of, you have to do it with cullet like this page describes http://www.glassblower.info/FireBuck...26march05.html
so keep that in mind.

I made a makeshift one with a paint can, line with ceramic fiber and a hot head for the heat source and was able to pull some pattern bars with it but the way the Murphy-bucket is set up is far more economical and practical in the long run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Beau & Shani)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by evolvingBeau; 2009-02-02 at 12:23pm.
Old 2009-02-02, 1:05pm
ManBearPig

I've actually been eying that actual setup for a while. I want to make some furnace glass marbles, but obviously setting up a hot shop is out of the question.

I'm really considering getting that and a Jen Ken crucible kiln...

Old 2009-02-02, 1:15pm
No Problem!

With a crucible kiln and the fire bucket you can even make some pretty good sized egg shaped paperweights. A friend of mine started his hot shop out this way.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-02-02, 2:06pm

We've had Don McKinney's Studio Series Glory Hole for a few years now and I can highly recommend it. Works like a charm.

It looks like glassobsessions.com is making them for him now.

So come up to the lab and see what's on the slab...

Old 2009-02-02, 5:32pm

Here's a second on Don McKinney's Studio Series glory hole. This is a quality piece of gear from the ground up and I'm glad to know that someone is carrying on with it after Don's retirement.

Robert
Old 2009-02-02, 6:10pm

Thanks all.
I'll look into the Don Mckinney model also
Old 2009-02-13, 11:55am

I just wanted to let you know that we have purchased the rights to the Studio Series Glory Hole. We are manufacturing it to Don McKinney's specifications. It is currently available, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Here is a link to a web page that show the unit and has all of the specs.

http://www.glassobsessions.com/SSGH/
Old 2009-02-13, 12:03pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaglassylady View Post
I just wanted to let you know that we have purchased the rights to the Studio Series Glory Hole. We are manufacturing it to Don McKinney's specifications. It is currently available, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Here is a link to a web page that show the unit and has all of the specs.

http://www.glassobsessions.com/SSGH/
What's the pricing?

Old 2009-02-13, 2:14pm

Shawnette,
I just called. $775. I get a bonus in April and I soooo don't want to wait.

Last edited by Alison D; 2009-02-13 at 2:18pm. Reason: add text
Old 2009-02-14, 9:31am
old fart

IMHO, i would not buy a murphy fire bucket fro the amount of money. i only paid $1500 for my full size one. i made a small gloryhole for blowing outside during the summer. it has a 6 inch opening because i left room inside for a 10 pound crucible. if you just used it as a gloryhole, i could have made it with an 8 inch opening. i think the entire thing costs less than $250 including the outdoor turkey cooker i purchased to fabricate the burner. you don't need a brick floor like i made if you are not going to throw a crucible into it. here is a link that shows what i am talking about.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=60344

Old 2009-02-14, 6:12pm

Mark,
That is so cool. Gotta love those trash cans. I split one lengthwise for my vent hood.
Do you have any ideas for a smaller tabletop style one?

Thanks so much for your help,
Old 2009-03-08, 8:24pm
San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
IMHO, i would not buy a murphy fire bucket fro the amount of money. i only paid $1500 for my full size one. i made a small gloryhole for blowing outside during the summer. it has a 6 inch opening because i left room inside for a 10 pound crucible. if you just used it as a gloryhole, i could have made it with an 8 inch opening. i think the entire thing costs less than $250 including the outdoor turkey cooker i purchased to fabricate the burner. you don't need a brick floor like i made if you are not going to throw a crucible into it. here is a link that shows what i am talking about.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=60344

What are the inside dimensions for the full size and where did you get it?

I love both your indoor and outdoor setup, very, very neat!!!

Thanks!

-
Old 2009-03-10, 9:43am

Doe these come in 110 voltage??
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-03-10, 11:19am
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelia View Post
What are the inside dimensions for the full size and where did you get it?

I love both your indoor and outdoor setup, very, very neat!!!

Thanks!
the outside diameter of the steel garbage can is 16 inches, and the can is 15 inches long. after i added the insulation, the ID of the gloryhole is about 10 inches. the door opening is 6 inches. it is powered by a burner i made from parts of an outdoor turkey cooker. i made the crucible out of 90% mizzou and 10% zirconia.
Attached Images

Old 2009-03-10, 7:09pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
the outside diameter of the steel garbage can is 16 inches, and the can is 15 inches long. after i added the insulation, the ID of the gloryhole is about 10 inches. the door opening is 6 inches. it is powered by a burner i made from parts of an outdoor turkey cooker. i made the crucible out of 90% mizzou and 10% zirconia.
Honest to God Mark, you are the McGuyver of the glass world!

Old 2009-03-10, 11:54pm
San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Honest to God Mark, you are the McGuyver of the glass world!
Thanks so very much Mark! And I echo that...

-