Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-27, 10:57am
Hey ma I'm on South Park

Default What is your favorite bead release?

I have tried bucket of mudd, foster fire, and universal bead release and
I keep wishing they were Fusion's bead separator.
I love the way it cleans out and the hold is pretty good I work both Boro and soft glass...
I'm just wondering if there is anything else out there to try?

Whats your favorite and what kind of glass do you use with it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marta

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-27, 11:20am

fusion bead separator
may still be on sale at wale apparatus?

Last edited by yellowbird; 2012-11-27 at 4:31pm.
Old 2012-11-27, 11:25am
Hobby Junkie

Wale has Fusion a few weeks ago.

Old 2012-11-27, 12:04pm

Frantz has Fusion listed on their website.

Old 2012-11-27, 12:14pm

Hmmmm...I think I've tried them all. The kind(s) that have always worked best for me are Blue Sludge and Sludge Plus (the Gray stuff). Next in line would probably be Bucket O Mud. All the other ones seem to flaky and crack a lot on me.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-11-27, 1:17pm

Same here .......Blue Sludge.....whenever.....for any kind of beads.

Elke
Old 2012-11-27, 1:21pm

I'm a Fusion fan too. I tried all the other ones but always came back to fusion bead separator.

Cheers
Kathrin
Old 2012-11-27, 1:30pm
Nikki Haverstock

I like Fusion quite a bit.

Old 2012-11-27, 3:34pm
Lampworkaholic!

I really like the ABR bead release, the regular, not the EZ. Also, Krag Mudd mixed with Blue Sludge 50/50.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-11-27, 4:23pm
offically down under

I have to say that I HATE Blue Sludge as I had terrible cracking issues with it -especially with smaller beads. I spent two full days making beads only to have all of them crack either when they came out of the kiln or within a day or two. Furthermore, when I contacted Craig and Donna, they said they would get back to me and even with a follow up email, I've not heard one word. Normally, I would never publicly trash a product or a vendor, but I am very unhappy how this whole kerfuffle has played out.

Foster Fire is still my favorite.
Attached Images

Old 2012-11-27, 4:30pm

I don't understand how the release can cause cracking?
Old 2012-11-27, 5:47pm
Lover of Life

I'm in the same boat... my ideal mixture is running out. I use half n half Fusion and Kragg Mudd. The fusion is too difficult to release for me, and the Kragg comes off nicely... both after annealing, and in the flame...

I finally just ordered some Mama G's after hearing so much good stuff about it! I was holding out for the dry release, but it has been sold out for a long time, and I think they're not going to make more for a bit, seeing as how poor Reenie has had a lot going on... Can't wait to try the wet stuff!

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2012-11-27, 6:40pm
Disconnected

I was addicted to BOM but the maker is so unreliable that I looked into something else. Sarah Moran of ZBeads got me into Alice's. She works both boro and soft, and it has worked great for her. She sent me some to try and I must say, I'm sold on it.
The fact that it's sold in powder form is also a no brainer, as she insisted on, you mix it yourself, so you're not buying tap water from someone else.
Air dries fast, holds strong, easier release than BOM. I'm happy with it.

Old 2012-11-27, 6:50pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
I don't understand how the release can cause cracking?
I think it either cools too fast or holds the heat and then when the glass cools it causes the cracking. Either that, it expands and puts pressure on the glass.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=233633

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=233359

Old 2012-11-27, 7:14pm
Student!

I am currently using Dip N Go Sludge. Once I understood how it worked, I love it. Was too thick and I had to find the right consistency.

I also like Fusion but have had trouble finding it.

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2012-11-27, 7:42pm

Love Alice's. Been using it for the last 9yrs. Never had a problem with it.
Janet
Old 2012-11-27, 7:50pm
Wonder-wench

I have used Dip n Go with good success and am now using FosterFire which I like even better.

Old 2012-11-27, 7:51pm
KitseyBelle

I also love Alice's. Rarely do I have it break or have a bead stuck to the mandrel. I work soft glass only at this point.
Old 2012-11-27, 8:38pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I love Dip n' Go Blue Sludge for my cabochon mandrels, and Fusion for everything else.

The two products work differently:

Fusion:
When you first introduce the mandrel into the flame, warm gently until the gray color goes white. Do NOT crank up the flame and make the release glow red because this weakens it.

Dip n' Go Blue Sludge:
When you introduce the mandrel into the flame, warm gently and then heat to get a glow. This strengthens it.

It took me quite a while to realize that it was wrong to treat the two releases the same. Fusion - gentle heat; Sludge - nice rosy glow.

And since I switched to Dip n' Go for the cab mandrels, haven't had a single one fall off, and they're easy to remove after annealing.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-11-27, 9:07pm

Foster Fire Heavy Duty ........use with 104, 96, 90

I can pull beads off by hand and it cleans out really easy. LOVE IT!!!!!

Old 2012-11-27, 9:15pm
Nikki Haverstock

Is Fusion going away? Do I need to stock up?

Old 2012-11-27, 9:26pm
I ate a big red candle!

another fan of fusion here

Though I haven't tried many other types.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2012-11-27, 9:37pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I use Fusion for everything. I've tried everything and I think it works the best for the way I work. It doesn't drip when I dip it. I hardly ever have to add water to it (usually just when I'm an idiot and leave the cap off). And the bottle is excellent. It's completely sealed. I've tried other brands and their bottles are not even airtight! No wonder I had to keep adding water constantly.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-11-28, 8:09am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Louis Wilson once told me he loved 30% Fusion mixed with 70% FosterFire, but that 50-50 was good too.
Old 2012-11-28, 8:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Louis Wilson once told me he loved 30% Fusion mixed with 70% FosterFire, but that 50-50 was good too.
I also have some fusion mixed with Foster Fire and I must say it works pretty well for me also.

However......I sometimes can really tug/pull/ press etc so much that the Heavy Duty Foster is the only thing that really holds up for me.

Old 2012-11-28, 4:30pm

I, too, mix Foster Fire and Fusion. For big stuff that is going to get treate roughly, I use Foster Fire heavy duty.
Old 2012-11-28, 7:59pm

Fusion, although I use super blue sludge for cabochons. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2012-11-28, 9:45pm
Mad about Glass

FosterFire and Bucket o mud. Can't get BoM in Australia anymore. Where do we buy Alice's ? - I've never heard of it.

[url]

Old 2012-11-28, 9:48pm

BOM,nice and thin.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2012-11-29, 6:09am
KitseyBelle

"Where do we buy Alice's ? - I've never heard of it."

Alice's Bead Release can be ordered at www.beadrelease.com.

I like that it comes to you in powder and you mix the water in yourself. I can mix it as thick or thin as I need.