Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-07-10, 8:58am

Default Not capturing the "pretty"

I love these earrings in person, but no matter what i do, flash- no flash- different settings, etc... they are never really as good in the photo... i am going to post several different pics and maybe someone can tell me which is best, what i could do to make them better... i always have trouble capturing the real look of beads that are swirly inside... they either look too dark, too light, etc... and EARRINGS! they make all kinds of shadows! HELP! thanks

Melanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-10, 9:31am
<--- Time traveler

I think the biggest problem is that you need more light. Ideally, you would have enough light to take the photo without flash, with the macro setting on.
Old 2007-07-10, 9:49am

thanks... i have a hard time getting the lighting right... i've either got too much or not enough. these were taken outside on an overcast day. i need to set up an indoor photo area so that i don't have to depend on Mother Nature i guess!

melanie

Old 2007-07-10, 10:23am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

try taking them off the cards they're on and hanging them from something open. Part of the problem appears to be that you're not getting any light to the back and the card catches shadows from the front.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-07-10, 10:50am
In search of her path....

Have you tried to take a pic of them on black or charcoal grey flat colored (as in no gloss) paper? You might be surprised....I have the best luck photographing boro on that type of background I get mine at scrapbook stores 12x12 sheets of it

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-07-10, 10:56am

great suggestions! thanks... i am heading down now to get an earring display that i can hang them from and i'll try the grey background too! appreciate the help!

melanie

Old 2007-07-10, 9:38pm

It looks like your camera is setting the exposure based on the background, which is wonderfully exposed. Unfortunately, this leaves your beads dark. I agreee, change the background paper or try fussing with a manual exposure and either slow down the shutter speed or make the aperature wider.

Mary
Old 2007-07-22, 5:04am

Default Pictures of glass

Here are some pictures of glass that I took for my wifes site.

The one thing I learned is that glass is not something that is very easy to take pictures of. It took me several weeks of playing with the settings on the camera, hundreds of pictures and trying things before I came up with pictures that I thought were acceptable for the site such as the ones above.

Lighting, White Balance and use of shadows is the key that I use when taking pictures of glass.

If I could only make a round bead.

Wanabeader
http://www.firenfusion.com
Old 2007-08-20, 9:47am
Mary Lockwood

Hi Melanie,

Not sure if what I did will help YOU, but I made some frog earrings and wanted to get a good picture. It wouldn't turn out no matter what I did and I was using the same settings and backgrounds as for all my beads which I'm usually very happy with those images. It just wasn't working for the earrings.

I didn't get a decent picture til I took them off the background that was right up against them, took them out in natural light and let the light bounce off them from all the way around, no background at all. I'm still not 100% happy, but it was a MAJOR improvement. You should try it.

Here is a link to the listing for the earrings. If you look at the picture with the white background, that was the best shot of all the crappy ones and it still looks flat and lifeless to me. The other pictures though, were taken outdoors with no background right up against the backs of the earrings. The background is way off and not even in focus. It lets the light wrap around the earrings and adds more dimension, in my opinion. Lets more light pass through the transparent bits as well...much more sparklier. (And yes that's a word.)

Give it a try and see what you come up with. I took the two good pictures on a sunny day, but I was in the shade with the camera.

~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2007-08-20 at 12:02pm.