Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-04-04, 8:23am
Dix Harrison

Question Calling all Lovers of the Lynx...help?

I just recently switched from a Minor to a Lynx (w tanked oxy).
Those of you who have made a similar change maybe able to relate to the situation I am experiencing. Obviously, I have noticed differences in the two torches.

I was getting good to great boro color from the Minor. So, why did I change? When I watched lampwork tutorial videos, I saw other artists using torches that were much hotter. I admit I was envious when I saw how quickly they could bring glass to the higher temps required for boro. I did the research and determined that a Lynx would be the best fit for my next torch.

So, I have the Lynx set up in my studio and have begun to explore. Whoa, I've got more heat all right. No problem there. I'm just not sure that I completely understand the most efficient way to use that heat. I'm also not sure that I am using the "extra" oxy knob to my advantage. I say this because my boro colors are not "popping" like they were. On the Minor, things were simple. Neutral, oxidizing, reducing flames...pretty clear. I learned to not only look at my flame, but also listen to it.

I perceive that the flame characteristics on the Lynx must be different enough that I am not using what I have very well. When I first fire up the Lynx, I use only the propane knob and big oxy knob to establish a fairly broad set of 1/2" to 3/4" sharp candles. Then, I narrow the flame by adding a little more oxy with the little top knob. I can see (and hear) the flame get sharper. So far, so good. Since I work with mostly silver colors, I want that oxidizing flame most of the time. But I wonder, could I be working too hot? Am I wasting oxygen?

I flame strike everything but reds. Could I be overstriking--leaving glass in the reducing flame too long? My colors are not bad by any means. But, I am hoping to see WOW results like many of you produce. Right now, I'm not there.

I would be extremely grateful to receive advice or pointers that would help me make the most of my new Lynx. Anyone?
Old 2010-04-04, 8:34am
Critter Mom

When I first started using my Lynx I also used the little oxy knob, but now I only use it if I need to narrow my flame or get a pin-point flame for tiny spots. I'm not a boro user so can't address your color question, but instead of using your top oxy knob for adding oxy, try turning your propane knob down a little or your big oxy knob up a little. This might give you the flame you're looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-04, 2:13pm
Pyromaniac

The side knobs work just like they do on the Minor Burner.

The top knob ... well, I think of it as "thrust". It regulates the penetrating characteristic of the flame. It needs to always be open at least a little bit, but beyond that, it does not regulate your flame chemistry very much. Add oxy using the other oxy knob.

With a little practice you'll get it down. The Lynx is a much hotter torch, and should be better with color, for a variety of reasons. I'd suggest trying Glass Alchemy's Amazon Night test from their user manual to learn about setting up the proper flames on your torch. Hopefully that will work out for you

Glass Alchemy User Manual: http://glassalchemy.com/index.php/resources/user-manual

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-04-04, 9:46pm

I use 2 oxycons and am wanting a tank for my lynx. Like you I also started with a minor and have wondered if I am using the lynx correctly or to my best advantage. I think tanked oxy would make it much better.. Can't wait to see all the responses you get to this question.

Old 2010-04-06, 6:01am

i switched from concentrator to tank and honestly don't see any difference. The Lynx is just a great torch as far as efficient use of oxy and gas. But then I've only gotten fantastic colors when I'm with a group of people and we're talking and I'm not paying attention. I think at that point, I'm distracted enough that I let the beads cool longer than I do when I'm by myself and worrying it to death.