Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-12, 10:21am
susanLambert

Default does anyone know how to modify an oxy con?

I have a great extra oxygen concentrator but no hook up for a hose.. just a little nozzle. Does anyone know what I can do so I can use this?

thank you!!
SusanLambert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-12, 1:45pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanlambert View Post
I have a great extra oxygen concentrator but no hook up for a hose.. just a little nozzle. Does anyone know what I can do so I can use this?

thank you!!
SusanLambert
pop the cover off and you'll see that internally, there is an output oxygen hose (probably clear poly tube) that connects to the existing nozzle. All you have to do is unhook that internal tubing from the back of the existing nozzle, replace the nozzle with a 1/4-inch barb, and reconnect the tubing. Don't forget to unplug the unit before working on it.

you can get a 1/4 barb that is threaded on the other end and can accept another 1/4-inch barb. Remove the existing nozzle from the faceplate and replace it such that there is an internal and an external barb. Then hook up the internal output tube to the internal threaded barb with a hose clamp.

Replace the cover, attach your hose to the new external barb, and torch away.

Last edited by metalbone; 2009-09-12 at 1:49pm.
Old 2009-09-12, 3:36pm
susanLambert

thank you so much! I was completely stumped by this and wanted to hook up two concentrators or see if this one is 'stronger'
thanks!!!!!!!!
Susan

Old 2009-09-12, 4:16pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

oxycons have a small centrallized internal tank that collects the oxygen from each of the zeolite cannisters. That internal tank usually has a an adjustable pressure valve that you can adjust with a screw driver. If you hook up your two concentrators and find that one outputs say 5 lpm at full open, but the other flows a lower amount or none at full open, you can try adjusting the pressure valves on the internal cannisters so that they both flow the same amount at full open. That should equalize the pressures between the two oxycons. On those valves, clockwise usually = higher presure.
Old 2009-09-12, 4:48pm
PyronamixK

What two concentrators do you have?
Old 2009-09-13, 4:12pm

I got a two hose hook up from Kimberly and love it! I might be fixing to ask if she can do three!

Old 2009-10-30, 8:45am
susanLambert

Kimberly I'm not sure because I'm at work. is it important?
and what is a two hose hook up from Kimberly??

Old 2009-10-30, 10:16am
PyronamixK

Yes, because different machines put out different pressures. If the difference in pressure outputs is greater than about 2 psi (e.g., you have an Invacare that puts out 5 psi and a DeVilbiss that puts out 8.5 psi), then the main oxygen line will be pressurized to the higher pressure and the power pressure machine might have trouble getting its oxygen into the line. If you have two machines running and your torch oxygen valve is wide open and one machine is putting out 5 LPM and the other machine is putting out 0 LPM, then this is why.

Most machines has a threaded outlet that will fit the B fitting on a green oxygen hose. One brand, Invacare, does not. It has a nipple fitting outlet that comes straight out from the machine. Even the machines with the threaded outlet, though, can be fitted with what is called a Christmas Tree adaptor. This is a just a fitting that screws onto the threaded outlet and has a barbed nozzle that can slip into a bare-ended hose/tubing. If you have one of those on your machine, you should be able to unscrew it and get it to come right off. Always be careful to use just your hands when dealing with these concentrator fittings. If you use a wrench to tighten or untighten them, you can break the fitting, or even a part up inside the cabinet.

I make connectors for hooking up two or more oxygen concentrators. The simple ones for connecting two are found on the ordering page of my website: http://www.pyronamix.com/page8.html

My connectors have backflow prevention valves in place that keep one machine from backflowing the other.

As far as altering a concentrator to put out a different psi, if you boost the pressure output above the manufacturer's recommendation, you can overflow the machine and can (1) damage your seive material and/or (2) hurt the compressor and (3) result in poor purity. Doing this will also most likely void any warranty you might have on the machine. If it's just a beater machine you picked up for $50 and don't care if you mess it up, keep in mind that if you damage the seive, you can create seive dust (pulverized seive material) and if this gets into your torch, you can have other problems. I am not sure if adjusting the pressure to lower than the manufacturer's specs (so that the higher psi output machine could better match the lower output psi machine) would cause the same problems or different ones. These machines need certain internal pressures to do what they do.