No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-10, 2:03pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Default Concentrator spitting - doesn't work anymore

Bought in June one of ABR's EX-15 scratch & dent oxygen concentrators and love it.

However, I'm now having big trouble. It doesn't produce a clean flame any more, the flame spits and sputtered, and makes lots of "air" noises. It's also moving the flame away from the torch head, so it's dancing around 1 inch above the torch (hope that makes sense).

I know I've read something similar already several times here on LE, but I just can't find it. Something about impure oxygen arriving at the torch? Something that might be broken? I just can't remember.

I've contacted Ross a couple of minutes ago, so hopefully he will give me some hints. And hopefully it can be repaired.

Could someone point me in the right direction or give me an idea about what could be broken? How much it might cost to repair? Thanks!

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-15, 1:33am

I want to say it was a baffel but thats not right because it started with an S.... Maybe I'll think of it today. It's like a seal....

Old 2009-10-15, 5:37am
Flaming Redhead!

Sieve bed? Is that what you're thinking it might be?

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-10-15, 9:12am
Attack of the Snuggie!

Call Extreme Oxygen mine did the same thing and they repaired it in 48 hours and its on its way back

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-10-15, 10:31am

Sieve bed - yeap, that was the one that I was searching for too.
Dave - how much is the shipping back and forth? And did you get an estimated for the repeair?
I'm just so annoyed if I have to wrap it all up and ship it. I've got it only for 4 months

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-10-15, 10:51am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

you wouldn't think scratch and dent meant the INSIDE of the oxycon.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-10-15, 11:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
you wouldn't think scratch and dent meant the INSIDE of the oxycon.
This.

You know, 3 years ago I bought this old, scratched, ugly and really loud oxycon. And it worked like a treat for 3 years.
Now where I've upgraded to a bigger, quieter running, shiny nice machine (which isn't really scratch & dent from the outside) ... it gives up on me after 4 months. WTH?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-10-15, 6:35pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

It was like $25 for shipping or so and the repair is free

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-10-15, 8:12pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus Beads View Post
This.

You know, 3 years ago I bought this old, scratched, ugly and really loud oxycon. And it worked like a treat for 3 years.
Now where I've upgraded to a bigger, quieter running, shiny nice machine (which isn't really scratch & dent from the outside) ... it gives up on me after 4 months. WTH?
yeah, I hope you get it fixed!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-10-15, 9:52pm
uncouthful cats

A helpful lampworker told me that she recommends having 2 oxycons. You can use them together for more oomph, but, more importantly, if one goes fritzy & needs to be sent off for repairs, you still have one to work with. Seems like very sound advice, although pricey.

Nancie

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!