No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-28, 4:57pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Default Cracking Cranberry

I have made some beautiful beads with CIM cranberry and if I mix it with any other colors it cracks.I can make spacers of just cranberry and their fine but otherwise, no go and encasing with it,forget it. Anyone have the same problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-29, 12:53pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Yes!! I used CIM cranberry on a set and all six of them cracked. It was with Iris gold frit and encased. This was a special order for a friend of my sister and only the largest matching focal didn't crack.

Old 2010-04-30, 4:26am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I have made a set with CIM cranberry as the base and a silver glass design on the surface that is still kicking after about a year now. The set is not encased though. Maybe it is a different batch? Sorry about the crappy beads - this is a set I made for myself so I was not as careful as normal....
Attached Images

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-04-30, 8:45am
Hobby Junkie

Joan, I am very worried that they may crack when you are wearing them and that you could get injured. Please send the set to me and I will keep them safe and secure so nobody gets hurt!

Old 2010-04-30, 9:42am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

lol!!!! Thanks for the offer Cori-but I'm very attached to this one, it gets worn and banged around regularly - so far no problems

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-04-30, 11:00am

Reds, oranges, and yellows tend to have issues with being encased. It would follow that pinks do too. Try laying down a small layer of the same clear you intend to encase with under the pink, and see what happens.
Old 2010-04-30, 2:37pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Okay,I'm calling these crappy cranberry! You can see in the lentil the crack is only in the cranberry stripe,not the green.Maybe cranberry just doesn't get along with other colors,or maybe it just doesn't get along with me!
Attached Images

Old 2010-04-30, 4:51pm
Hmmmm.....

I did some cranberry over white, and they all cracked I also wondered if others had this problem, but when I posted about it, it didn't seem that many did.
I am glad I am not the only one! Not glad that the glass really is the issue and it wasn't just my noobi'ness

My

My

Currently on a HotHead w/ Bulk Propane, can't wait till I can use my Cricket!
Old 2010-05-03, 2:45am

OMG I hope not because I just bought a pound to use instead of Rubino. Wish I could remember who does this alot.

Old 2010-05-03, 3:59pm
Formerly FishBulb

I've used it without any issues in the past, but I haven't used any of the new batch. I'm hoping this won't be a problem.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-05-03, 8:27pm
offically down under

I've had problems with rubino over Gelly Sty cracking so I was thinking of going the cranberry route as this is a very lovely combo.

Old 2010-05-05, 7:30am

Now I find out! I just recived 1/2 Lb. of this,I've not had time to use it so maybe thats a good thing
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2010-05-05, 8:12am

I only use cranberry as a decoration. I use Cranberry instead of rubino because it doesn't get the black spots with my Hot Head like rubino. I covet my cranberry because it's expensive. I heard a long time ago that some of the CIM colors don't encase well, and I don't do much encasing because it's hard to do well on Hot Head.

Old 2010-05-05, 8:13am

Well, if you guys don't want your cranberry, I'll take it off your hands! It's about time for me to buy some more.

Old 2011-04-19, 11:05am

I made some beads with CIM cranberry, beads that take about an hour to make and some, and they cracked so I won't be wasting any more time doing that!

I did a search on cranberry cracking and found this thread.

I just talked to Jamey Lynn and she said she hadn't heard of this happening so I wondered if it was me.

Maybe someday when I have lots of time I will try it again and up my annealing temperature.

Yeah, like that will ever happen!

I will try and get pics of my beads and put them here so you can see the cracks and maybe diagnose whether they are incompatible cracks or thermal?
Old 2011-04-19, 11:12am
Glass my new Obsession

I just bought some so I will try encasing it at my next torch session.I usually don'thave any problems with it cracking though

Old 2011-04-19, 11:13am

Mine wasn't even encased! I just put some flowers on top of it.
Old 2011-04-19, 12:44pm

I just thought of something. The flowers on top had a pink base, CIM cranberry on top and then encased with clear and the petals didn't crack!
Old 2011-04-19, 4:54pm
Oinky Oink!

I think I am having some beginners luck but I have not had any cracking issues with Cranberry(knock on wood!)
I did have some issues with Gelly Sty cracking when twisted with other colors and Rose Quartz encasing crack...
I am on HH.

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-04-19, 5:01pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I've had problems with the cranberry cracking as well.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-04-19, 5:07pm

This is interesting. I just had one of my encased florals crack right over the flower. At first though, I though it was what I used for the stamen cane. Only one out of three flowers show a crack. maybe it IS the cranberry. I have not had this problem before and I bought this batch about three months ago when I ran out.

Old 2011-04-19, 5:19pm

I had to remake a whole set of tiger lilies that had all cracked a little while ago when I used CIM cranberry. I sure hope the replacements didn't crack! I used the CIM cranberry again because I thought the first time it happened because I had melted the cranberry into the bead. The second time, I left the flowers raised.
Old 2011-04-19, 5:21pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Every cranberry bead mixed with efrette I have made has cracked.

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2011-04-19, 7:52pm

Wow..glad I saw this thread before I start playing with the cranberry I am due to receive next week..and I bought a bunch because I love the color and it is out of stock in a few places.I thought I was lucky..maybe I will be with all this advice..thanks all for the heads up!
"

Old 2011-04-19, 7:54pm
Uh Oh....

I'd be willing to buy any dark cranberry rods too. Has to be the dark cranberry. I love, love, love it. It does crack is used as an encasing. I use it as a surface decoration or use it as a solid mass. It doesn't get that brown tinge like rubino does.

Old 2011-04-19, 8:06pm
Astro Cat

Darn you all are worrying me. I've used some amount of CIM cranberry without problems and I do believe I've encased them all..
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-04-19, 8:08pm
Astro Cat

Oops forgot to mention I've been hoarding enough that I'd be depressed if it turned out to be unusable under encasement. I encase a lot of my beads.
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-04-19, 8:13pm
Oinky Oink!

I too have hoarded cranberry...

So, what could this mean? Cranberry is unusable?
What else can we use? Rubino?
Rubino has it's own issues...

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-04-19, 8:18pm

I just ordered 2 1/4 lbs of it so glad I'm reading this now!
Old 2011-04-19, 8:25pm

Well, so far for me the best Cranberry color has been Gold Ruby from Olympic Color Rods. I don't like Rubino and I guess yet again, there is another color I cannot use. At least for encased beads. It looks more pink in the picture. Mine is cranberry color.

http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=121&pID=1777

Last edited by glassactcc; 2011-04-19 at 8:28pm.