Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Calls for Entries, etc.

Calls for Entries, etc. -- Calls for Entries, Contests, Exhibits, etc.

Old 2009-05-22, 1:31pm

Default Call for Nominations/Submissions (LONG)

Call for Nominations/Submissions

I am Jeri Warhaftig, a beadmaker, teacher, and sometime author in the US. My first book is Glass Bead Workshop, which was published by Lark in Spring 2008. I am now working on book two for Lark Publishing, which has a working title of Glass Bead Workshop – II (clever, huh?).

The purpose of this post is to find beadmakers from around the world, interested in being part of a focus group of sorts to be involved in this new book. The “reward” will be some hard work, fun, skill building, collegiality and the virtual certainty that one or likely more than one of your beads will end up in the book. People chosen for this group will receive the draft instructions for each project, and a photo of an example of the bead and will be asked to execute their own spin on the style of the bead presented (for example, if the project is a sculptural animal, the group would make animals). The total group will be about 12-15 beadmakers, who each will be asked to make up to 12 different beads. Each chapter in the book will include beads made by some group members.

Who am I looking for? I am looking for beadmakers willing to stretch outside their comfort zone to try techniques that might be new to them, probably people who are advanced beginners or intermediates, or willing to put in a lot of time to practice each bead. You should be able to make basic shapes without too big a struggle, already mastered nice holes, and be comfortable producing clean un-sooty glass. You do NOT have to be a master innovator, teacher, tutorial writer, forum poster. The idea of this series of books is to provide creative encouragement and inspiration, and the focus group members will hopefully show us where that encouragement leads. Being in the focus group won’t cost you anything (except perhaps postage), it also won’t earn you any money! (sorry).

I confess, I might be innundated with emails, and I really hope to choose a diverse group, so please, if you aren’t chosen, don’t feel “rejected”. It could just be I have too many people applying from your State, or Country. On the other hand, if you are selected, I think we are in for some beadishly fun times.

If these statements describe you, please email me the information asked for at the end of this (LONG) post. The address is GBW2 (at) JeriBeads (dot) com

-I love to make beads.
-I work in soft glass.
-I can pull stringer.
-I virtually never have “football” or sharp pointy holes on my beads
-I have my own beadmaking “studio” or at least virtually full time access to equipment.
-I have a kiln and don’t have to batch anneal exclusively or at all.
-I am reliable, good with deadlines, and tend to finish what I start, barring unforseen emergencies.
-I sometimes wonder how I will find my beadmaking “voice”.
-I am a responsive emailer.
-I have a digital camera (it can be basic) and know how to email photos.
-I’m as busy as everyone else, but have room in my life for an exciting project that might span from now until December 2009.
-I’m not writing about beadmaking for publication this year or next.
-I am a person of my word and can keep a secret.

If you have read this far, and if all of this describes you, then you might be interested in nominating yourself for the GBW2 Focus Group. If so, send me an email and tell me the answers to the questions below and ANYTHING else that you think I might want to consider in the selection process. Keep in mind there are no right or wrong answers, this is just an attempt to get to know the applicants. More questions will follow after I narrow down the submissions. To be fair, and efficient, all submissions must be in my email box no later than 5 pm, Friday, June 12, eastern standard time.

At a minimum, please tell me:

Name, city, state and Country of residence.
Email address
Where you saw this message.
How long have you been beadmaking and how frequently do you torch?
What kind of torch do you primarily use.
Who were your most influential teachers (include here forums, tutorials, live classes, books, videos etc)?
Do you belong to the ISGB? Do you hope to attend the 2009 or 2010 Gatherings?
Do you teach, and if so, what kinds of bead classes, and what level?
Do you earn part or all of your income from beads? How (selling beads, teaching, jewelry, etsy, ebay, that kind of thing).
What are your favorite beadmaking techniques (frit application, silvered ivory stringer, sculptural work, hollows, florals, etc)?
Do you have a signature style? What is it?
Do you have any experience with grinding, sandblasting or other cold processes?
Do you have any background in other forms of glass work? Which ones?
Have we met? Where?

Thank you for your attention to this request. Feel free to re-post it to any other bead groups that you participate in, or circulate it to your friends. I hope to produce a book that will be another resource for our community, and particpation by other beadmakers can only make it better. Jeri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2009-05-24, 8:47pm
Recovering Enabler

This sounds very interesting! I'll be e-mailing you tomorrow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-06-11, 4:40pm
Lavender Dawn

Check your private inbox - I so want to be part of this!!!
Old 2009-06-15, 5:33pm

Friends - thank you one and all for your detailed, thoughtful and enthusiastic submissions. 67 people nominated themselves, and 20 were selected. Emails to individuals in both groups will go out no later than June 22.

Please remember, choices entailed elements of geography, level of ability, experience with various methods, and other factors that go into making a diverse group. No one was REJECTED, but the group was selected from the nominated pool in an effort to come up with people whose explorations would provide a benefit to lampworkers and other diverse readers.

Thank you so much for your enthusiasm. Jeri

Old 2009-06-16, 10:48am

Jeri,
Actually, no matter the outcome, I want to thank you. You have given me hope that my beads will someday appeal to someone other than myself. Sometimes all a beadmaker needs is encouragement and interest.

I'm sure you've been overwhelmed with all the nominations, but it sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck! We'll all be waiting and watching for that new book!

Sharlyn
Old 2009-06-16, 4:39pm

Sharlyn - I am available for encouragement at a moment's notice, and I'm always interested in the exploration of others!! I really appreciated the effort that went in to submissions, and if I could have figured out a way, I would have used every single one!! Jeri

Old 2009-06-17, 1:25pm
Sorry for party rockin'

I can't wait to see what your second book will look like, your first one was awesome!

Old 2009-06-17, 4:31pm

Thank you, it's a labor of love. I haven't put pen to paper on the new one yet, and it's daunting before you begin. But it is really fun when it's done! Jeri

Old 2009-06-18, 6:06am
Calendar Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
Thank you, it's a labor of love. I haven't put pen to paper on the new one yet, and it's daunting before you begin. But it is really fun when it's done! Jeri
When I worked in the ad biz, we used to call it "Fear of Blank Piece of Paper Syndrome"...

Old 2009-06-18, 6:19am
Lavender Dawn

Best of luck on the book - how exciting!
Old 2009-06-20, 8:42am

What a wonderful opportunity for you all! Sorry I missed this thread until now but good luck everyone and I look forward to purchasing this book in the future!

Old 2009-06-20, 10:13am
Detail G-Mama!

Jeri, is this the book we talked about when you were here? Sounds fab at any rate!

Old 2009-06-20, 6:52pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Wow, this is the first I have seen this thread. I haven't been on LE much lately.

Sara

Old 2009-06-20, 6:58pm

HI Guys, yes Anne, this that book!! I hope that soon I will also be looking for gallery submissions (ok, not SOON, just eventually). Now that I have the focus group identified, we are about to begin making the beads I have planned out. Should be interesting, I think the book is still about a year and a half away!! I really appreciate the outpouring of support, writing is usually solitary, so this has been so much fun. Hope to see some of you posters at the Gathering in Miami, maybe I'll have an update by then! Jeri