Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-01-30, 4:51pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

Default Is it true that non sculptural butterfly beads

Are wanted now instead of sculptural because of breakage? If so was there an announcement made somewhere and I just missed it?
chrisann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-30, 10:42pm
Obsessed Blogger

There has not been an announcement that I am aware of. However, non-sculptural are more durable that some of the thin-winged butterflies have flown through the office.

I saw some of the butterflies with really really super thin wings a couple years ago and a handful were too delicate. I'm talking REALLY thin.

If you can do durable sculptural, do it!

If there is a question as to whether you think yours (or others you see) are durable enough, post a picture and let us see! Or even send a sample to headquarters with your question and they'll let you know.

That's more than you asked but I thought I'd throw it out there for others who might wonder about the butterfly beads. While all of the beads are special, this one is EXTRA special!

::
Old 2010-01-31, 7:04am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

These are the kind I make. The hole runs horizontally. They are very durable.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-31, 8:33am
It's all good.

Oh Debbie, those are terrific, I am loving those!!!

Old 2010-01-31, 9:36am

There has not been any kind of 'official' announcement concerning sculptural vs. non-sculptural butterflies. We have discussed the fact that many of the very delicate butterflies, while beautiful, tend to be a bit on the delicate side for regular wear. I personally have shifted from sculptural (I made lots of those) to murrini or copper/enamel styles as I feel that these tend to be more durable and I enjoy making them. Sculptural butterflies are still perfectly acceptable, but we do ask that you try to be sure that they are strong enough to handle regular wear (Debbie Pierces' look fine).

Robert
Old 2010-01-31, 11:21am
Obsessed Blogger

Wow Debbie! Thanks for taking the time to make those sweet butterflies. Those are perfect!

Old 2010-01-31, 11:26am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Lori, that was the first batch, I have a bunch more I made before Christmas, but my brain got hung up on the wire-wrapping thing. After reading today that vertical is better than horizontal I decided to go ahead and buy the zoozii's flutterby vertical press.

Old 2010-01-31, 11:30am
Obsessed Blogger

I'm going to get one of those too Debbie. I think then I'll add more around the wings to make them bigger. It's an idea anyway.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-31, 12:51pm

I've asked Jean to check mine when they arrived, and she approved them. I make sure the wings are VERY firmly attached to the body, and I feel the wispy colors still make them look delicate and etheral, which I enjoy. They're wire-wrapped into pendants before they leave here.
Attached Images

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-01-31, 12:59pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Nikki I love yours!!

Old 2010-01-31, 1:03pm

Thanks, Debbie. I like the bright colors and textures of yours, too - I always fondle beads when I wear them so the bumps and ridges are great.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2010-01-31, 2:00pm
Obsessed Blogger

Yep. Nikki, yours are a good example of *looking* delicate but being sturdy and wearable. I love your butterflies and dedication to Beads of Courage!

Old 2010-01-31, 2:51pm

Thanks, Lori.
I have a bunch here that'll be heading out next week when I ship - my New Year's Resolution of at least 1 butterfly per torch session is filling my box of them nicely.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2010-01-31, 6:08pm

Nikki's one of our heroes, for sure.

Robert
Old 2010-02-01, 8:07am
Corgi Cult Member

I make mine in boro and try to put a lot of extra heat on the backside where the wings meet the body. I wouldn't want to go this thin in soft glass for several reasons. Admittedly though, I tend to make them too big if people are going to wear them and need to scale down the size of future batches.

Old 2010-02-01, 8:47am

Those are beautiful butterflies. Boro is definitely preferable for the sculptural models and it looks like you've got it down. Strength is important here - you only need to hear once from a parent after a butterfly breaks and you'll clearly understand how important this is.

Robert

Last edited by RSimmons; 2010-02-01 at 8:48am. Reason: Left out a word
Old 2010-02-01, 10:56am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
I make mine in boro and try to put a lot of extra heat on the backside where the wings meet the body. I wouldn't want to go this thin in soft glass for several reasons. Admittedly though, I tend to make them too big if people are going to wear them and need to scale down the size of future batches.

Kathy, those are so beautiful!

Old 2010-02-01, 11:25am
Queen Bee

Niki, do mind if I ask how you make your butterflies? Do you attach blobs on the side and pull them with a tool such as a petal puller? I'd love to try it.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-02-01, 7:36pm

I want to make a photo tutorial of it for anyone interested, but I make a thin barrel, then add a stripe for each wing and melt in in thoroughly. Not quite blobs, it's a wing shape as I add it, then melt it in so there's no lines where the glass meets, squeeze each wing twice with pliers, add glass to the tips, melt it in again on the tips only, then pull the tips out for the points. Crazy obsessive insurance heat throughout, and a good flash in the flame before going into the kiln. And I try to wiggle the wings when they come out, if they don't feel sturdy they don't get sent in. Most of the ones I showed are 96 coe veiled cane - I don't know if that makes a difference? Thanks for asking, I'll try to get pictures soon.

Gorgeous boro butterflies, too!!!

~:
~:

~:

Old 2010-02-02, 4:32am
It's all good.

Nikki and Kathy wow those are awesome!!!

I am going to do what Debbie & Nikki do, start each session with a butterfly, I freak a little when attempting them because they are soooooo special. But they are too important to just give up trying. Thanks for sharing all the tip, tricks and ideas, it's so helpful!

Old 2010-02-03, 6:16pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

Kathy,
That is kinda the style that I wanted to make mine in boro that is why I asked to begin with as I had heard something about non sculptural being preferred. I am going to go ahead and start making some then. I have to say your butterflies are really stunning I love them. I love Nikki's as well but not enough to break out the soft glass

LOL. Anyway thanks for all the responses.
chrisann

Old 2010-02-05, 7:34am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I got my Zoozii's vertical hole butterfly press yesterday! I can't wait to use it to make butterflies for BOC.

Old 2010-02-05, 8:25pm
I think I could be a bead

I make several different kinds of butterflies. I hope that these are acceptable.

I couldn't find the image I wanted, but this will have to do.

Old 2010-02-06, 5:49pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I am so rusty at butterflies.... I have a few in the kiln tonight, not all of em are up to snuff to send because they are FUGLY.... but I am on aBOC binge for the comming week. We have a rep from the hospital comming to our guild, which sponsors a hospital, next weekend. I want to make sure there are LOTS of beads for her to see from our guild members.

But I got a couple west high;land terrier dog beads in the kiln that are good.... gonna be a fun week.

Candice

Florida Glass Dragons

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-02-12, 7:06pm
Corgi Cult Member

Gosh, thanks everyone! I love to see all the different styles, everyone is doing such a great job!

Chrisann, when I first started making them this way, I had a problem with wings coming off. Both the edge of the wing, and body need a lot of heat to get a good join. One trick I learned, as I apply the wing, I try to slide it upward on the body so it gets a better join. Then on the back of the wing, I try to fully fuse the two parts. The full fuse on the back really adds a lot of strength. Would love to see yours too!

Candice, I know fugly! Been there, made that! Sometimes I hope they will morph into beautiful while in the kiln.

Old 2010-02-14, 2:30pm

I just came across this butterfly tutorial from Sharon Peters in the Gallery. These look both beautiful and sturdy.

I'm going to give these a try when I get a chance.

Kathy your butterflies are stunning!