LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-06-12, 8:44am

Unhappy This one ------->

I don't use pink enough to buy more right now. I'm still working on the 1/4 lb of cranberry and 1/4 lb of rubino I bought when I started almost two years ago.

That is the only time it has happened, and it was the only time I used pink directly on top of white. Looking back at my pictures, it was one of my early ones. I was batch annealing at the time, so it had cooled off in a fiber blanket prior to annealing.
This was the before picture:

Oddly enough, it definitely didn't darken. The purple was a nice, opaque, bright shade, a little bit like the purple sad smiley on the top of this post. (Arrow's pointing the wrong way)

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-06-13, 4:10am
More ideas than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
the biggest problem is that to make a good pink glass you need gold, tin and lead in the glass, this alters the viscosity and causes the compatibility problems.
B
What's in cobolt blue? I have either Vetro or Effetre (probably both at this point) and I have never been able to use it without it cracking. I have only ever tried to use it with Vetro or Effetre.

Old 2013-06-13, 4:49am

I LOVE cobalt blue! It's never cracked on me.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-06-13, 6:04am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
Dark rose from Devardi is awfully pretty - as long as you're willing to take the time to preheat the rods!
It is nice, but not what I would call Fuschia:

Old 2013-06-13, 6:34am
Loving learning

I had some divardi to try and put it over a white core with a trail of silver wire, and it cracked.
Old 2013-06-13, 7:28am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I had some divardi to try and put it over a white core with a trail of silver wire, and it cracked.
Some people have had issues with it but I'm not sure what the resolution was. I think it was an adjustment to the annealing schedule. I've used it with Effetre White and not had any problems, as have several others, and I use the same schedule I use for all of my soft glass. I haven't used it with any other brands; just Effetre.

Old 2013-06-13, 8:13am
Loving learning

That's what I used. Maybe I admired the color too long & that's what cracked it. I'll have to try again to see what happens.
Old 2013-06-13, 6:46pm
randomly active member

I encase rubino all the time and have never had a problem. I use a base of Effetre pastel pink instead of white though which might be a big difference.
.:.

Old 2013-06-13, 8:16pm
Catnip Pusher

I just tried pink today Leslie! I have my fingers crossed - it looked good going into the kiln, but of course the problems don't show up until after I take the beads off the mandrels. However, the pink is stiffer than the white - which I have now convinced myself is the issue! (Or did I talk myself into it? LOL!)

Aimee
Old 2013-06-13, 10:00pm

I've had cracking problems with both Rubino and CIM's Cranberry. It doesn't matter how I encase - over clear, over white, cranberry base encased with clear... even the tiniest bit of Cranberry for "chunky stripe" encased beads... CRACK! It got so frustrating for me, because Cranberry was one of my favorite colors.

Old 2013-06-14, 1:50pm

I've used rubino extensively for the past 12 years without any cracking problem. I use Effetre clear exclusively though, I am wondering if this could be a compatibility problem with the clears that are not Effetre.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2013-06-15, 7:39am

I like the reichenbach Pink Lady

Laurie

Old 2013-06-18, 8:17pm
Catnip Pusher

Okay, just an FYI - the beads I tried with pink under the rubino came out fine and seem to be holding up! Yay! So I guess it was the white that was causing my problems.

Thanks for all the help - sometimes just talking it through is all I need. On the other hand, I really like the look of some of those other fuchsia colors...

Aimee
Old 2013-06-20, 4:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
Depending on the batch, when it's layered on white, I think it's not has pink as rubino can be. Guess it depends on the batch of rubino too. I can usually get rubino a nice pink over white but not with cranberry pink.
Wow, shocked to hear about this, because I get almost too much pink with the Cranberry. Rubino gives a more variegated pink, which makes it look so much richer to me.

Old 2013-06-28, 12:07am

I havnt had any problems with rubino oro cracking. I also love cranberry pink CIM and have not had a problem either. Another option is get some fuschia frit on Etsy and its beautiful.Good luck
Old 2013-06-28, 7:40am
randomly active member

Yay!! So happy the pink base worked for you. You can also use periwinkle and lavender as bases to get more variations out of your final look and they have always held up well for me under rubino too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
Okay, just an FYI - the beads I tried with pink under the rubino came out fine and seem to be holding up! Yay! So I guess it was the white that was causing my problems.

Thanks for all the help - sometimes just talking it through is all I need. On the other hand, I really like the look of some of those other fuchsia colors...

Aimee

Old 2013-10-20, 3:38pm

Thank goodness for LE. I've been trying to make some special order focal beads for my boss that include layers of white, Rubino, Zephyr, Ekho, and Zephyr. I know I kept the beads warm enough while I worked, but all four of them - and of course they all turned out gorgeous - cracked after I took them off the mandrel. Not completely, but all have some kind of fracture. Silly me - I quoted her a ridiculously low price for what is turning into a lot of work. I'm going to try pastel pink as a base instead of white; if that doesn't work, I give up. Thanks for the tip.
Old 2013-10-20, 4:08pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by winedarksea View Post
Thank goodness for LE. I've been trying to make some special order focal beads for my boss that include layers of white, Rubino, Zephyr, Ekho, and Zephyr. I know I kept the beads warm enough while I worked, but all four of them - and of course they all turned out gorgeous - cracked after I took them off the mandrel. Not completely, but all have some kind of fracture. Silly me - I quoted her a ridiculously low price for what is turning into a lot of work. I'm going to try pastel pink as a base instead of white; if that doesn't work, I give up. Thanks for the tip.

Since I'm assuming you are using a couple of Effetre colors, try Effetre clear and see what happens because it could be the Zephyr. If it still cracks, then leave out the Ekho. If no more cracks, then the problem is the two glasses that are not Effetre.
Old 2013-10-20, 4:45pm
Catnip Pusher

I have been using pink under my rubino now and haven't had any more cracking problems. I am sure it is a viscosity problem - white is one of the softest, runniest colors, and of course any of the transparents are much stiffer.

Aimee
Old 2013-10-20, 5:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Since I'm assuming you are using a couple of Effetre colors, try Effetre clear and see what happens because it could be the Zephyr. If it still cracks, then leave out the Ekho. If no more cracks, then the problem is the two glasses that are not Effetre.
Thanks. I'll try that! Yes, the white and the Rubino are both Effetre.
Old 2013-10-20, 5:16pm

[quote=PolychromeBeads;4437960]I have been using pink under my rubino now and haven't had any more cracking problems. I am sure it is a viscosity problem - white is one of the softest, runniest colors, and of course any of the transparents are much stiffer.

Thank you!
Old 2013-10-20, 8:19pm
Glass-aholic

I have had Rubino issues too recently. I put dots of Rubino over trans pink, and it cracked in a figur 8 almost! Actually really cool crack line it was a tight wave on the edges of alternating tight dots, so it all connected. They were beautiful too! Not even encased dots.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-10-20, 10:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
I don't know about the new batches of CiM Cranberry Pink but some batches crack badly. I only use mine for dots or as a whole bead. Depending on the batch, when it's layered on white, I think it's not has pink as rubino can be. Guess it depends on the batch of rubino too. I can usually get rubino a nice pink over white but not with cranberry pink.
CIM Cranberry is very pink for me, almost too dark.