Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-23, 5:32pm

Question best part of making beads

For anybody who makes beads there has to be something about it that you think is the best part for me its being able to be creative with it and knowing that no matter how many i make no two will ever be exactly the same. Whats your favorite part(s)?
Old 2013-09-23, 6:16pm

I love the endless possibilities. Different styles, colors and feelings as I take each one from a thought to something I can keep or share

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-23, 6:21pm
Senior Moment

Molten glass. It's like lava but more accessible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-09-23, 6:28pm

I love the forced patience. To be honest, I'm still working on that. Having to slow it all down, let it develop and keep working at it until it's the best you can make. Kind of a good lesson for life in general. Thanks crazy glass habit!

PEACE ON EARTH
Old 2013-09-23, 6:34pm

There is such peace within the flames for me. It's a really zen kind of thing. It's not that I enjoy making multiple beads alike, it's that I "HAVE" to know that I can do one thing well enough to do the same thing again. I tend to work in sets. I get a great sense of accomplishment when I have a matching set of beads, whether it's plain spacers or a bunch of beads with similar decoration.

Mostly it's the peace within the flames. I am so relaxed when I work. Hard to explain to those who don't torch. Glad peeps here understand.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-09-23, 7:21pm

It's like meditation for me.

_
Old 2013-09-23, 7:47pm
Glass-aholic

It's all of it.. I get to PLAY, play with fire, play with melting things, color, and make stuff . I love that it's not like other crafts and hobbies and art forms where you can put down a project and never pick it up again.. I can't tell you how many unfinished painting, projects, and even some jewelry too that I have never finished. I LOVE that my bead is for the most part a finished piece of are by itself when I put it in the kiln. It's very gratifying. I don't think for this reason I should ever switch to boro!!! Lol or I would have to really teach myself to not start a new piece until I finished.. But I think it would be mess lol. Id be like a horder in my studio w/ glass projects! Haha

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-09-23, 8:45pm

The fact that "I made this" and I can put a little part of me out in the world to have its own journey, go places, meet people, and do things I never could.

Small art objects are sort of like vampires in that way see more, do more, experience more than the original artist.

Old 2013-09-24, 1:58am
Slogan Challenged...

Playing with and organizing the glass rods sometimes appeals. Tools and having a space of my own always appeals. I really like designing and making an idea come true! And I like having them finished, putting them together, and looking at them!

I must like fire too, but mostly in the flame I am concentrating and trying to get things right. Maybe I'm just a little used to it now, I was probably quite fascinated when I started, but now I want to DO something with it.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-09-24, 2:53am
More ideas than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
this

Old 2013-09-24, 3:22am
More ideas than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
There is such peace within the flames for me. It's a really zen kind of thing. It's not that I enjoy making multiple beads alike, it's that I "HAVE" to know that I can do one thing well enough to do the same thing again. I tend to work in sets. I get a great sense of accomplishment when I have a matching set of beads, whether it's plain spacers or a bunch of beads with similar decoration.

Mostly it's the peace within the flames. I am so relaxed when I work. Hard to explain to those who don't torch. Glad peeps here understand.

Sue
And this... It's Zen - provided an individual bead doesn't take more than about 20 minutes... My attention span is short. That and you can try so many different things. What is it, jack of all trades, master of none.

Interestingly when I buy other people's work, it's generally the focals rather than sets. I may not be able to concentrate that long (not that I have the talent or ideas anyway), but I certainly appreciate the work of those who do.

I find it fascinating looking at the jewellery section. Alot of the designs feature around the sets. Seeing what the designers do with various works absolutely stuns me.

Old 2013-09-24, 8:52pm
Fugitive from the Dogstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Same here!
Old 2013-09-25, 5:25am

for me, the best part is in the prep. i love making cane, twistys, pulling points (ok i guess points don't relate to beads) etc.
i can just about have as much fun making cane for implosions and pulling points as making artwork.
Old 2013-09-25, 5:28am
Lampworkaholic!

Opening the kiln the next day.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-09-25, 7:01am
A True Woofer

It's so cool to be able to make something that didn't exist before. I don't mean beads in general, but the specific beads that I make never existed until I made them. When I take them out of the kiln, I'm the first person to lay my hands on them.