Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-10-06, 12:26pm
funny mofo

Default Need Suggestions

I'm working on a project, and I'm trying to make 2 inch x 2 inch squares of boro with small implosions (or compressions; pick your favorite term) in the middle. I can do the implosions without a problem; the trick is getting the surrounding boro into 2 x 2 squares. I think I have to have a tool made, but I'm not sure what it should look like. The three ideas I've had are:

1) a graphite square (2.5 x 2.5 or 3 x 3?) with a 2 x 2 square depression in one corner, or to put it another way, a graphite square with a lip at two edges so that I could slide it in and square up the edges. Then I'd turn it 180 degrees and square up the other two edges.

2) a piece of graphite with a 2 inch channel cut into it, so I can square up two opposite sides. I'd then turn it 90 degrees and do the other two sides.

3) a piece of graphite with a 2 x 2 square cut from the center; all sides would be affected at one time.

Or should it be something else entirely? They all have to be relatively square, and they have to be the same size, otherwise making random size squares wouldn't be that hard.

All opinions and ideas are welcome!
Old 2009-10-06, 12:48pm

I am afraid that anything you do to force the glass into the 2" x 2" square shape is going to distort the implosion.

That being said, I'd probably try a graphite block machined to have a cavity, tapered on all 4 sides, ending up in a 2x2 square at the bottom. I think this would distort the implosion the least, and what distortion you do get would be consistent all the way around the piece.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-10-06, 1:10pm
Pyromaniac

Could you cut them with a tile saw?
That would give really consistent sizes.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-10-06, 5:53pm
Harold Williams Cooney

how thick does it need to be?

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-10-06, 6:15pm
Borovangelist

Why can't you use use the bbq mashers? Make a marble with the implosion, try to keep the heat penetrated only as far in as you need and shape.

I think Corbin does a square block as part of a goblet he makes in his first Lampworking Essentials video.

Keep in mind that even if you had a square mold to shove into, you're still going to have to finish off that 6th side, and the edges still won't be crisp just from the flame.

eta: oh...and a square drawn with pencil on your bench is a good reference for size

|
|
Old 2009-10-09, 7:52am
funny mofo

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! It sounds like the easiest thing might be the bbq mashers set at 2 inches... something I hadn't even thought of. Or at least that sounds like the easiest way to start. I'm going to keep Malcom's specifications, which are much better than mine, in the back of my mind in case the bbq mashers don't work the way I want them to.

Lana, I could cut them with a tile saw if I had a tile saw... but I don't. And I've had a dreadful time anytime I've tried to cut sheet boro. [I brought some to the local glass place to see if they could cut it, since on my own I get really irregular sizes and shards all over the place. The guy at the glass place didn't even know what boro was, and suggested that maybe it wasn't really glass, and as non-glass, it wasn't his department. Then I went to the local tile and stone place to see whether they could cut it. They said they'd be afraid to try, and suggested the glass place. I told them what the guy there said, and the woman rolled her eyes and said "That Bobby... what an idiot." He was apparently legend. Made me laugh.]

My goal is to have the edges about 1/4 inch thick; the implosions will be higher, but that's okay.
Old 2009-10-09, 8:29am
ManBearPig

Make the implosions then grind them square on a flat lap.

I'd be glad to grind one for you if you want to send it to me.

Old 2009-10-09, 1:54pm
funny mofo

That's really nice of you, Cosmo, thank you! That sounds like a good idea. I'll see whether I can come up with something decent looking this weekend at the studio. I'm really hoping to get there on a more regular basis.