No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-30, 3:16pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Default Getting stuff transported to shows

How do you guys handle getting all your booth/display stuff to out of town shows? I am thinking about doing the gathering bead bazaar but I can't figure out how to get all that stuff from here to Seattle.

Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*f

Old 2012-03-30, 6:46pm
Whooooo, me?

I shipped boxes via Fedex to Baton Rouge when I went a few weeks ago with all my display and miscellaneous stuff. Did return shipping labels for them, and when I was done just set up a pickup at the hotel for Fedex to ship back home.

All my stock I packed in one of these and took as carry on luggage. Would have liked to get one of the aluminum carry cases, but they don't meet minimum carry requirements. This one worked fine though. http://www.jewelrydisplay.com/browse...ls/4,5344.html

Old 2012-03-30, 7:30pm
Lampworkaholic!

For the Miami Gathering I put my focals on craft pipecleaners with ceramic disk spacers between them, then rolled them up in bubble wrap, put it in a shoebox and put that in my carry-on. The empty trays went in my checked bag. In Miami I went to the Container Store and bought some stacking shelves for risers. Table coverings went in the checked bag too, with a couple of small OTT lights.

Didn't have much room left for clothes but who cares, it was The Gathering!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-03-30, 7:43pm
honorary bead lady

Pack it in your car, it's only a straight 16 hr drive!
Old 2012-03-30, 11:04pm

I actually shipped a large rolling suitcase with all my table supplies UPS to the Gathering in Rochester. The hotel held it for me and I just rolled it to the Bazaar. I took it on the plane home but it was nearly too heavy. If I do it this way for the Gathering this year, I will be sure to check the weight before I ship it! My beads go in my carry-on. I would never trust them in my checked bag or ship them!

Old 2012-04-02, 3:52pm

If you have a lot that needs to go, check with Greyhound. You can get a large floral box from a local florist for free. You pack it full (up to 100 lbs) and they ship it on the buses. From Seattle to Florida only took 3 days, so a day or so should be enough. When you get to town, you go to the bus depot and pick it up. I thought their prices were amazingly low.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-04-02, 9:40pm

There is a container store close to the hotel if needed and there is a HUGE mall across the street as well as a Cost Plus market and a grocery store.

If any of these interest you about buying things once you get here. Lot of local peeps to take things off your hands once you go home.

A HUGE mall, I mentioned it was big right?

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2012-04-02, 9:55pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Okay, you got me at huge mall. I'm coming up an extra day early!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-04-02, 11:29pm

Not as big as like the Mall of America, but the largest one in the area.

Old 2012-04-03, 7:13am
honorary bead lady

Sharon...

http://www.bellevuecollection.com/StoreDirectory.php
Old 2012-04-03, 7:23am
sunscreen me baby

I have a large suitcase and make everything fit, including my clothes. I usually use those trays with inserts from Fire Mountain. But for traveling I took the inserts out and stacked them inside each other. It was not a big deal to use those without the trays for set up.

I downgrade my fancy table cloth layered look for one polyester white one. (weighs less than cotton)

I pack all the beads in bubble ziplocks and then into freezer bags with a hole to squish out the air. They all go into a carry on roll suitcase. I have had to gate check that a few times but the beads have always been fine.

I rent lights instead of bringing them. Although I would guess you can't do that at the Bead Bazaar. I'm going to have to figure that one out as well. Maybe do the flat rate box to your hotel room?

~

Last edited by SuzyQ; 2012-04-03 at 7:25am.
Old 2012-04-03, 2:26pm

I've used the bedroom light from the hotel room more than once.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-04-03, 7:45pm

I like the way you think Paula!

Old 2012-04-04, 7:54am

You can rent tables, cloths, and lights from party places too, so "all" you have to bring are displays and beads.
Old 2012-04-05, 6:04am

My solution is to go "minimalist". I carry two ott lights, a tablecloth, packaging material, and little else. It isn't ideal, but I fly and weight is always the controlling factor. If I have room, my indulgence is the pipes to raise my table (and I stuff my socks inside them). Jeri
Old 2012-04-06, 5:19am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Pack it in your car, it's only a straight 16 hr drive!
Yea make a vaca out of it. I'm sure there are glassy people you can stay with along the way!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-04-07, 12:30am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I get too bored driving. I can barely stand the drive to Kim's house (2hrs). I am going to fly on Southwest so I can check two bags for free - and so can Mark so that is 3 bags for show stuff, one bag for all our clothes.

Thanks to all for your fantastic suggestions. I never thought about shipping to the hotel. I may look into that. You guys are the best!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f