Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-05, 12:42pm

Unhappy Silver solder

Hi everyone,

I tried using some silver solder yesterday, made of a combination of silver and tin. It was called StayBrite, and came with its own liquid flux. I bought a brand new soldering iron, as this solder is supposed to be low temp enough to use with a soldering iron, and says it can be used with pretty much any metal except aluminum. Here's the link to the product:
http://www.lacytools.ca/ProductList.aspx?p=13285

By the time I'd soldered together about 30 jump rings, the tip was no longer a cone point. It was being eaten away (corroded). This is the iron I used:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Anyone have any idea what might be reacting? I don't know what metal soldering tips are made of, nor what is in the flux.

What can I get as a replacement to prevent this happening again? I want to use this solder if I can, since I don't have the know-how or time to clean torching residue off my jewelry after.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:

Tags
corrosion, flux, iron, silver, solder, soldering iron, staybrite