No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-25, 4:19pm
Yeller Rose

Default What to do with silver scrap?

What do you do with your silver scrap? I have sterling silver scrap left over from jewelry making. I used to throw it away, then a silversmith friend asked me to bring it in to her. Once a year she sends all her scrap to a recycler. Mine was about 6oz and hers was pounds. She got a nice chunk of change. What do you do? Can it be melted into a casting? Barb
Old 2008-10-25, 4:21pm
Entropy increasing....

It can be melted and casted, why not? It's silver.

I know Rio takes it back and credits you for it.

I can't believe you were just throwing it away.
Old 2008-10-25, 5:32pm
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I know Rio takes it back and credits you for it.
That's great to know, thanks for the tip, Kevan.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2008-10-25, 5:48pm

Rio will reclaim it and give you 65% of the value as cash or 75% as company credit... but, I would hold off on sending it in right now because the precious metal market has dropped hugely in the past couple months so silver is worth about half of what it was a year ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-25, 6:23pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

There was a show I watched and the artist took his silver scrap and made a "crucible" on one of his fire bricks and loaded it down with scrap, I can't remember if it needed flux or not but he took his torch and melted it down he then took different size dapping dies and used them to make "cups" then he added pearls or gemstones to the cups I think that it was a great way to make a unique bezel. Have Fun!!!

Old 2008-10-25, 6:30pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
There was a show I watched and the artist took his silver scrap and made a "crucible" on one of his fire bricks and loaded it down with scrap, I can't remember if it needed flux or not but he took his torch and melted it down he then took different size dapping dies and used them to make "cups" then he added pearls or gemstones to the cups I think that it was a great way to make a unique bezel. Have Fun!!!
I saw that same show and it was very cool! I don't recall him using flux I don't think- just melted it into the little cavity in his firebrick.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-25, 6:42pm
Cancer SUCKS!

What you probably saw them add was Borax. You add the borax so that the impurities stick to the borax, leaving you with a cleaner casting.

Old 2008-10-25, 6:55pm

My mom used to do drop castings all the time. Sometimes gold, usually silver. She often set the gold ones with a diamond. The silver ones tended to be left plain.
Old 2008-10-25, 8:25pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

I miss that show, Squid I can't find it on anymore . I am glad to see I am not the only couch potato

Old 2008-10-26, 1:43pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
I miss that show, Squid I can't find it on anymore . I am glad to see I am not the only couch potato
Fortunately, I don't have to be a couch potato to watch it - I have DVR

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-26, 11:13pm

I've seen a few listings selling silver scrap on Ebay.

Old 2008-10-27, 4:06am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Or alternatively you can collect you scrap (not dust and saw filings) and take it to a manufacturing gold/silver smith, and ask them to melt it for you, and either put it through a rolling mill for plate, or to draw wire from it. they would be able to give it back to you as dead soft, or hard, depending if they annealed it for you at the end of the process. Ask them to put it in their acid to clean it up. All you need to do with the wire then, is to gently polish it to get it shiny before you work with it. Remember that to much rubbing would harden it again.

I melt all my silver scraps and save the shavings/sawblades/moore disks/sandpaper/etc that I used while silversmithing, and sent it for refining when I have enough collected.

Bottom line is that everything that you used while working the silver collects silver dust on it, which could be refined back to silver again. Our refinary reclains old x ray plates to collect silver.

Regards
Diana

Old 2008-10-27, 12:23pm

I sent my scrap to these guys - www.midwestrefineries.com. They gave me about 90% of the day's value for my silver.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-10-27, 3:04pm

Rather than mailing it off, try some place local first. Some of the local coin shops in my area will buy silver scrap for the day's trade rate, and I don't have to spend on postage.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-10-30, 4:03pm
I know, I can't spell

When I was in metalsmithing we would use it for casting or like afore mentioned remelting it to get the silver into a wire or sheet metal again. Just different cruicbles used for either wire or sheet metal.

Same thing can be done with gold too, and you can mix the metals together to get different metals for what you want to work with. Just make sure you know what parts to mix together to get your specific metal.

Soon new stuff
Old 2008-10-30, 4:10pm
Entropy increasing....

I saw an article in Lapidary Jewelry magazine, I think they changed the name to Jewelry Arts or something, about broom casting. You make these little bits to use in abstract jewelry by pouring melted silver into the end of a broom.

Here's an article.

http://users.frii.com/dnorris/dec99tip.html

Oh here's a better one.

http://www.amfed.org/efmls/broomc5.pdf

And there is also cuttle bone casting, but you have to buy cuttle bones. Not that they are hard to buy or expensive. You get this
neat kind of texture with cuttlebone.

Last edited by Kevan; 2008-10-30 at 4:14pm.
Old 2008-10-30, 5:18pm
offically down under

I just took in 125 grams to my supplier and they gave me A$61. I told them to check because it was too much and they smiled and said don't worry.