LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-19, 6:04pm

Default My bead release keeps breaking...WHY????

Yesterday morning I dipped a bunch of mandrels, and let them air dry overnight, about an hour ago I sat down to work and my release keeps breaking! I'm using Bucket of Mud, I've only had the bottle for a couple of months and have not had any problems with it until now.
Any ideas why this is happening?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-19, 6:22pm
Looking for my waistline

Are the mandrels new? If they are, you need to scuff them up with some sand paper, then stick them in the kiln and get them hot before you use them. There's a coating on the mandrels that needs to be burned off and if the surface is too smooth, the release won't stick well.
Old 2009-01-19, 7:01pm

Nope...they are not new.
I bought welding rods, had them cut and have been using them for awhile.
They may have been a little damp when I dipped them, which is what I'm thinking the problem is.
I'm going to clean them again, make sure they are really dry and redip them, hopefully that will do the trick!
Thanks for the advice Char!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-19, 7:45pm
Life is change. Love it

There was another recent thread about BOM breaking, I have to think it is the release. Try mixing it with Fusion

Old 2009-01-20, 9:17am

Since I started using sandpaper on my mandrels after each use I rarely have a problem. Recently my mandrel sat for 8 months and were fine when I finally used them. I use Fusion.

Old 2009-01-20, 10:37am
Just me

I had the same issues with BOM and also found it tough to get out of the bead holes.
I tried mixing it with fusion but still had the same issues.
This was a while ago and I don't know if it was a bad batch or what but I went back to just fusion and am not going to be switching anytime soon.

Old 2009-01-20, 11:32am
Lampworkaholic!

I had the same problem with Pink Slipper breaking. I mixed it with some Dip & Go Sludge and that solved the problem. I'm glad it did because I would have hated having to toss 16 oz. of bead release!

Oh, make sure your bead release is glowing when you touch your glass for the first wind.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-01-20, 11:47am

I have had bead release break in cold weather. If I dip the mandrels and let them dry in the house, then take to the cold garage to work right away they don't seem to break.