Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2009-02-04, 8:10am
Eugene, Oregon

Default Do you get what you want from your web host?

So I have been trying to up date my web. I have six months on my account to figure out if I want to stay with go daddy. Here are my issues...
**If you like your host please tell me why...thanks

1. too much to read about... Frankly I want somthing very simple. I want a cllick and go. Go daddy has so many pages of information and tiers, I just don't want to take the time to figure out the puzzle.

2. In the basic plan I have.. the manage area also takes a long time to get into and to update and to publish. I'm never sure if what I've done will fit on my pages until I preview.

3. I also can not get a full page with out paying a lot more. So the go daddy banner is over the top of my front page. Also the sides are left blank and empty.

4. The banner is also un friendly and too basic of choices/size of fonts.

Note... if you have a go daddy site and I'm just an idiot.. please give me pointers. I would love to be inlighted!! My last request for help I got some great advise from MrsGrace and I did make some improvements. Thank you MrsGrace I really was glad you took the time to share! I love all the help we get here from on Letc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2009-02-05, 3:11pm
picking Job's Tears

My website is on awardspace (and my images as well as most of the pages are where I work - I can do that here). No ads, and you can get free hosting with only a (paid) domain registration.

Sometimes it takes a bit of time to update because it's on the other side of the planet from where I am, but after a year I can say "so far so good" and renewed for 3 years.

You can get paid hosting with more bandwidth etc., but so far I don't need that.
I may move the other web pages over at some point, but I only want to do that after I have changed my formatting from "tables inside tables" to "skins", and I haven't found time to read up on that yet.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-02-06, 7:10am
Eugene, Oregon

Thanks for the input, you web pages look very nice. I liked you comment that you have not found the time to read. Thats me. I just do not want to take the time to learn it all. What I want is it to be simple, quick and easy. Is there a fairy god mother to web site hosting?

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2009-02-06, 8:43am
Glass n00b

Wow!! The website update is already so much more user friendly. I think you're right in that you need a new host. Will bug the DH today and ask what he recommends as he is a software dev.

Glad I could help some. Wish I could have done more. I think it's time to brush up on my HTML and get back in the website design/assistance game.
Old 2009-02-06, 12:19pm
Eugene, Oregon

Thanks. Wow a DH Diva is a great thing keep him a long time! LOL
My DH is computer challenged but he is a great cook!!!!
Thanks again for you help.

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2009-07-18, 10:26am

I am currently using Start Logic, and HATE them !!!! They can't get anything right.

Old 2009-07-22, 4:48pm
Hello?

If you don't use godaddy's tools or anything else they offer for your website, it isn't that overwhelming.

Do you code your own HTML or do you use one of their website builders? I assume your using a website builder which would drive me insane as well.

I have been with godaddy for many years and haven't had any issues with them in the way of hosting. But man their website is extremely hard to find anything. Everything is a link or leads you somewhere you didn't want to go.

Old 2009-07-22, 4:56pm
Eugene, Oregon

So do you make your own html? and paste it?

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2009-07-23, 1:05am
picking Job's Tears

I write mine and paste it. But I have a rather simple website. It's all tables inside tables.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-07-23, 6:10am
Fire Diva

I love, love, love Pappashop!!! They totally rock!!!!

Old 2009-07-23, 6:53am
Eugene, Oregon

Fay,
are you using a site builder or did you write your own HTML?

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2009-07-23, 9:44am
Fire Diva

Pappashop is so easy. You can move your template to Pappashop. I have their hosting and the software. You do not need html knowledge to utilize Pappashop software. It is totally user friendly. Enough of us use Pappashop that if you have a question or issue you can pose it here and you will have support. Good luck!

Old 2009-07-23, 10:32am
Eugene, Oregon

thanks. I did re up with go daddy. Only because it was easy to go on with what I have.
Is there anyone out there that uses an html on godaddy?

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2009-07-23, 2:11pm

Nancy,

For something very simple, without a lot of traffic, your free host with the banner ad across the top if fine. The blank sides are a generic formatting that allows for small monitors.

When you want to start embedding videos, or get enough traffic you run into bandwidth trouble, you will need a paid host. That is costs around $60 a year.

You might want to make your meta tag: keywords the description meta tag and come up with a few key words to target for your keywords meta tag. Head over to my first site and right click in a blank area and select View Page Source to see the differrence between the two tags.

Putting together a site can be done in many ways. Learning HTML and crashing it out yourself(save yourself a ton of grief and skip this option), using a hosts site builder at a paid host, finding an online free template and use a free FTP program to upload to a paid host, or use a free blog as a web site at a paid host. My second site is the latter and is designed to help people build one. A free tutorial on how to get it done is available without registering or providing any information.

Steve

Old 2009-07-26, 6:27am
Eugene, Oregon

Wow, Thank you Steve. I really like both of your sites. I have too many glass orders to get out as it is the end of the month so I will have to hang on to this post so I can read all the information. I'm sure I will learn something.
I have to admit "I HATE MAKING JEWELRY" but your clip of your DVD on wire wrap rings is wonderful. It even makes me think I can! If you ever want to trade a few beads for a ring I would love to chat. Your work is beautiful.
Cheers
Nancy

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2009-07-28, 10:26am
Experimentalist

Am I the only one here that uses HostMonster?

I had ValueWeb for way too many years (and dollars) and am now very happy with HostMonster.

They may have templates and whatnot, but since I had to learn HTML when I started out, I feel more comfortable with that than with templates... particularly since my ProStore uses templates and I HATE WHAT'S GOING ON THERE BEFORE AND NOW. Ugh!

Old 2009-07-29, 5:36am
Eugene, Oregon

Maybe that is what I hate the most...
With go daddy first you have to find where they moved what you are looking for. Just getting to the templates can be a hassle. Then you have to figure out how they changed it. Way too much time, All I wanted was easy, I'd much rather be on the torch!

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2009-08-27, 8:35pm

I have used GoDaddy from the start and am totally happy with the service. I pay a little less than $5 a month for the hosting (discount for paying forward and about $60 a year as Steve said). I designed and update my site using DreamWeaver software. It is practically immediate to update and VERY easy. Whenever I have run into a snag due to a crashing hard drive, or switching to MAC from PC, the tech help has been excellent and patient. I am not using anywhere near the bandwidth (? no expert here) that I have coming for my fees. I have total control over the design and workings of my site. No video, no flash, no music, no generic page designs.... and I don't want it. No advertising, no problems. No HTML skills needed. I can't imagine it being any easier... unless I paid someone to do the design and upkeep, but then that would mean big bucks and it would no longer be my creation. It took me two weeks of concentrated effort to design and build the site five years ago. All very new skills for me. I do need to do a major overhaul now that I know more, but it still works and so not much motivation for spending the needed time.

And that is my "two cents" on GoDaddy service and cost.

Old 2009-08-27, 8:51pm
Eugene, Oregon

Thanks, your site looks nice. What is dream weaver and how can you use it on go daddy?

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2009-08-29, 6:37am

Dreamweaver is software from Adobe. It isn't cheap and it took me a while to learn to use it as it was all new to me. Following a step by step excellent tutorial style of book is the only way I could have managed it. My point is more about the GoDaddy side of the discussion regarding service and cost, and the fact that I am satisfied on both counts that I have a host that is affordable and responsive to my needs.

You don't need to know html to create a well designed and functional site, but you do want to have a clear sense of how things work and how to keep it simple. And there is adequate software cheaper than Dreamweaver I expect.

One of my students paid a web designer a fee to create her site... a very simple one, but attractive. She isn't able to update it herself, or make changes and will have to pay him each time she wants to add something. Not a good deal in the long run. I am not able to find that site or I would give you a link as an example. Not sure what happened to it.

Good luck with your own site development.

Old 2009-08-29, 7:27am
Experimentalist

I gave up trying to learn DreamWeaver. Ugh... made me feel like an idiot.

Went back to writing my own code.

Old 2009-08-29, 8:22am
Eugene, Oregon

Thanks Carol, I think I'm just not willing to play that much on my web site. I know I need to do a better job at putting new things and maybe a video clip of something fun and interesting. Thanks for your time and comments. Your site is very nice and attractive.

LOL Laura, when it comes to working on my site I know I'm an idiot!! LOL I would much rather play on the torch.

Cheers from Nancy Gant