Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-11, 10:37am
Sparkle Strumpet

Default Diamond bits

I've searched the topical forums and I can't find this....I may have dreamed it.

But, isn't there a source for good quality diamond bits for bead cleaning that are long and coated up completely up the shaft?

I make long beads, and am tortured trying to clean them....I need a diamond bit with the coarse area going most of the way up the shaft...like five inches or more.

Please...if this exists and I didn't dream it, please share....

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-11, 11:06am

yes, its the beadreamer guy, he posts in the sale forum all the time.
Old 2007-09-11, 11:07am

The longest bits I've found I got from artintheround.com. I think they advertise here. They're not 5 inches, but they're straight the entire length of the bit and are diamond coated on much of it. These are the best and most efficient that I've found so far.
Old 2007-09-11, 11:08am
Sparkle Strumpet

Thanks, ya'll....I appreciate it.

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-11, 2:39pm
Smooches!

Yep Beadreamer. I bought mine from Arrow Springs (they carry his stuff, & I just happened to be there).

Miss Kate

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2007-09-11, 5:44pm
Farewell promises nothing

I can get them locally if you want me to ship you some... They are $2 each.
Old 2007-09-12, 1:09am
First bead: 2007-04-28

Hi Brimmy! Could I buy some thru you too?? 2$ each seems alot cheaper than 30$!
I'll pay all cost ofcourse!

Ann
Old 2007-09-12, 6:30am

HIS Glassworks has been experimenting with a new diamond coating that was more abrasive--not sure if it has gotten to market yet or not. A quick google will turn him up.

Deanna

Old 2007-09-16, 7:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieBSmith View Post
I've searched the topical forums and I can't find this....I may have dreamed it.

But, isn't there a source for good quality diamond bits for bead cleaning that are long and coated up completely up the shaft?

I make long beads, and am tortured trying to clean them....I need a diamond bit with the coarse area going most of the way up the shaft...like five inches or more.

Please...if this exists and I didn't dream it, please share....
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimmy View Post
I can get them locally if you want me to ship you some... They are $2 each.
Hi Laurie,

I just want to clarify what Brimmy said. I'm sure Brimmy didn't mean to say $2.00 for a BeaDreamer from Art in the Round. Those $2.00 tools aren't my bits, I can guarantee that.

If you are wanting a 3/32 or larger diameter tool, I'll be glad to make a custom length tool for you. Just PM me. The standard length can handle up to a 3 1/2 to 4 inch bead.

As for cost, it is true there are many diamond tools that are far cheaper up front. But bead for bead, when all is said and done, BeaDreamer is actually one of cheapest tools on the market in the long haul. Tool life of 3000+ average size beads is common. Obviously, yours are not average! Most ordinary diamond tools are 80 or 120 grit, coarse, and short. They must be used in an orbital fashion, round and round the inside. BeaDreamers are true reamers. That is, it is a one-shot, straight in, straight out tool which automatically drills through the glass, shaving it slightly (reaming) to create a pre-determined, accurately sized hole. (Drill + Reamer = Dreamer.) Most folks don't realize this, but "Dreamer" is a name for a special tool used by machinists to do just that; drill and ream in one step.

Diamond points and files are, technically speaking, not reamers, nor drills, and certainly not dreamers. Diamond drills are usually made in the form of core drills, a hollow tube with diamond on the end. Since the BeaDreamer has become popular, "bead reamer" and even "beadreamer" is seen more and more on the 'net as describing what are actually diamond grinding points and files. It does get confusing. Hope this helps clear up some of it. I mean that sincerely. LOL.
Thanks,
Dave

Old 2007-09-16, 11:39pm
<--misses Austin buddies

HEY DAVE!!!!
Hoots and hollers from Saint Louis!
Dave came to the Mo bead retreat and demoed his reamers and they were FANTASTIC!
I've got some killer martini's for you next year DAVE! and I am STILL livin' LARGE on the minor... lol

Old 2007-09-17, 5:15am
Dangerous Woman

I LOVE my beadreamers! I won't use anything else! I believe they are worth every penny!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.