AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-13, 3:39pm

Bummer - don't have that type of kiln. Maybe the universe will provide me with an answer for that one. In the meantime I am just going to keep saving pretty bottles! Have a cobalt blue tequila bottle that needs emptying now - guess I'd better get on it or take it to the neighbor and let him empty it for me - lol.
Old 2009-07-13, 4:25pm

Don't forget you can use your Thompson enamels in the bottles for kicks of color in your future beads. Dichroic slide works well too. I put both on the inside of the bottles as I melt them.

Take care for the enamel like printing on bottles like Grey Goose, it will eat into a shelf if you do not separate it well with an extra layer of kiln wash or at least a couple layes of shelf paper.

I have a lovely 3D etched tree onto one of my tile boards.

MaryBeth
Old 2009-07-13, 5:37pm
birdergirl ~o~

I'm wondering about being able to wrap fine silver wire around a bead as in moretti, do you ( or anyone ) think that would work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-07-13, 7:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
I'm wondering about being able to wrap fine silver wire around a bead as in moretti, do you ( or anyone ) think that would work?
Yes, I have used fine copper wire and copper sheeting (heavy foil) with it.

MaryBeth
Old 2009-07-13, 7:59pm
picking Job's Tears

I have used copper wire in COE 96 fused glass. I don't see why you couldn't.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-07-13, 8:20pm
Still Missing You

De, I make bottle bead phone charmers for the bridesmaids and groomsmen that go over quite well for memory gifts.

I was told most bottles should be annealed on a Moretti schedule. Also - just because two bottles may come from the same case - don't try to mix the glass between the two bottles - won't work most of the time and not worth the effort to make beads and just have them crack later.

Fortunatley I'm lucky enough to have a few wine-oooos as friends.

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Sheesh, Henry!!! Those are really great!!! I'm very impressed - and inspired! My nephew is getting married next month (08/23/0 - he's finance is a jewelry lover, and maybe she would like me to try and make some beads from some of the champagne bottles from the reception!

I'm subscribing to this thread!!!

~DeAnne
Old 2009-07-13, 9:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmithlady View Post
I'm going to try this too...isn't there a gin that comes in a nice pale blue bottle?
Bombay gin is a beautiful blue bottle. Post #55 are pictures of beads made with the gin bottle.

Terri
Old 2009-07-13, 9:05pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

I haven't read through this whole thread yet but can you use the "blue Vodka" bottles? I've had this blue bottle for years, just because I loved the color and I would love to make beads out of it someday......

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2009-07-14, 9:10pm

Can you slump bottles in a Chili Pepper Kiln, to use as a Cheese Tray?

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2009-07-14, 9:17pm

No!! That is dangerous because the paint could catch on fire at fusing temperatures!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-07-14, 9:43pm
don't burn your fingers!

WOW! Just found this thread! I read the whole thing, and want to reiterate the breaking up of the bottle first!!! I tried to sculpt an entire wine bottle when I first started flame working, and it was baaaad! I pre-heated for at least 8 or 9 minutes in the back of the flame, and just as I started to move closer, the entire bottle exploded! loud, messy, hot, and I am very lucky to have escaped without harm! I may have to make some bottle beads with the tut on this thread!! We shall see!
Old 2009-07-15, 8:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
No!! That is dangerous because the paint could catch on fire at fusing temperatures!
Paula
How are those slumped bottles made then? I've seen tons of slumped wine and beer bottles sold as platters/spoon rests, and was hoping to make some. Any advice?

This is a great thread, definitely going to try to smash and melt some bottles this week!
Old 2009-07-15, 9:33am

After I smash a wine or beer bottle, I use my hemostats to hold the glass as I melt it on the mandrel. I enjoy using silver mesh and wire to adorn the beads.
di
Old 2009-07-15, 9:52am
birdergirl ~o~

Thank~you Maren and Marybeth!
I hope someone can post pics with foil, or wire!
Maren I think you bought my HH how is it !!??

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Old 2009-07-15, 3:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lootcorp View Post
How are those slumped bottles made then? I've seen tons of slumped wine and beer bottles sold as platters/spoon rests, and was hoping to make some. Any advice?

This is a great thread, definitely going to try to smash and melt some bottles this week!
Usually in a brick or metal kiln that doesn't have paint on the outside. The Chili Pepper User Manual has "Do not use for fusing" all over it!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-07-16, 9:47am

Paula - Could I slump a bottle in a glasshive kiln if there is not paint on the bottle?
Old 2009-07-16, 10:49am

You need to ask the kilnmaker. I don't know what is on the outside of the kiln or it it is a fusing kiln. I don't think it is. But ask!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-07-16, 6:31pm
in my happy place

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
Ya know ya got it bad when you go to the liquor store and pick wine by the color of the bottle!
Ha ha! Yes, that is what I do...I pick my wine by the color of the bottle, some are good, some not so good!!
Old 2009-07-16, 7:15pm
birdergirl ~o~

Scout!!!
Yikes!!!

Old 2009-08-17, 10:19am
birdergirl ~o~

Gold foil?
I did a quick search on this thread and didn't see the answer to my question:
I'd like to put a couple of swipes of gold foil on some recycled bottle beads, can I?
Can I and not cover the foil with clear? ( which I can't, I know (!)
Any how~tos would be appreciated , it's for a gift ( long over due wedding pres!) I'd like to get to her before the baby is born !! LOL!!

Old 2009-08-17, 10:28am
I fart diamonds

Jen-ken kilns are painted and you can slump in them.

Old 2009-08-17, 10:32am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Gold foil?
I did a quick search on this thread and didn't see the answer to my question:
I'd like to put a couple of swipes of gold foil on some recycled bottle beads, can I?
Can I and not cover the foil with clear? ( which I can't, I know (!)
Any how~tos would be appreciated , it's for a gift ( long over due wedding pres!) I'd like to get to her before the baby is born !! LOL!!
Do you have the bottle? Some are compatible with BE. Try a compatibility test with some BE clear. Or, you could just encase it with more of the bottle glass. Just keep it really thin so that you can see the gold foil if the bottle is dark.

Old 2009-08-17, 3:35pm
bryntaran

Default slumping wine/liquor bottles

I have a large L&L pottery kiln. When I am not firing clay, I slump bottles for craft shows/sales. I make sure I have lots of kiln wash on my shelves (for the painted bottles) and then fire using an 016 cone.
Now I am looking forward to breaking some of the bottles and making beads with them. What a great idea.
I also shop for bottles, not what is in them, and you should see my cellar. Shelves and shelves of bottles. People know what I do with them and leave them on my porch for me all of the time. Can't imagine what the mailman thinks!
Judy
Old 2009-08-17, 4:54pm
birdergirl ~o~

Yes I do have 2 dark green bottles,
Thanks for the suggestion Shawnette!
I'll try it!

Old 2009-08-17, 5:49pm
Feminist Killjoy

When my Cricket arrives, this is near the top of my list of things to try!
Oh and Judy, I have an L&L kiln too. Don't you just love it?
Old 2009-08-18, 5:37am
McLurkin'

Where do you find vermiculite boards to place under the kiln when making the glass rods by vitrograph method?
Anne
Old 2009-08-18, 6:00am
bryntaran

I do love my L&L Annie! If I could change anything about it, I would get a digital controller. I bought it new quite awhile ago and thought the kiln sitter would be all that I needed, however now that they have those great digital controllers, I wish I had one of those.
I also have a Cricket that I really really love. Such good things to make life better. I am going to the bead fest at the end of the week and have never been before, so am trying to put some money away because I know there will be more goodies there!
Judy

Judy
Old 2009-08-18, 9:08am
birdergirl ~o~

Is this Homosote? Sold by building suppliers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniepants View Post
Where do you find vermiculite boards to place under the kiln when making the glass rods by vitrograph method?
Anne

Old 2009-08-18, 9:26am
Amy

The is my first post, and yum, can't wait to get home and find that blue wine bottle I've been hanging onto. Fun ideas and even better than just slumping it. I must find studio time!

Dabler of many, master of none.
Old 2009-08-18, 11:54am
balanced but asymmetrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniepants View Post
Anne
Bullseye sells them.