Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Sale Rack

Sale Rack -- Sales, Promotions, Giveaways, Specials, Etc.
Only LE Vendors may start threads, but anyone may reply.

Old 2016-04-07, 9:18am

Default What Are Your Top 10 Lauscha Favorites???

What Are Your Top 10 Lauscha Favorites???

So……let's just say we were about to order some new Lauscha
and wanted to make sure we got your favorites…..

WHAT WOULD THEY BE???????

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-04-07, 11:27am
Present tense

I haven't used Lauscha that much, so I probably haven't even used ten different colors. But these are the ones that I've used and like a lot:

Olive Green
Steel Blue
Cocoa
The Lauscha transparent red
The Lauscha transparent purple
An opaque pink - don't know its name
Caramello
Clear

I know a lot of people have had trouble with the clear, but I was lucky with the batches I got and didn't have a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2016-04-08, 8:28am

Default Are there still Clear Issues?

I do remember years ago there were some issues with the Lauscha clear. Is there any new issues with the clear?

I have heard lots about eh Lauscha Red, what makes it any better than Effetre or CiM transparent red?

Many years ago I visited Lauscha and visited the glass factory, and I was impressed with the operation. Not only were there $10 tours of the factory, but there was a great glass gift shop, live demonstrations, and there was a great restaurant and bar within the factory.

I too would like to know which of the Lauscha colors are worth using and for me, which of the Lauscha colors would I want to offer if I decided to rethink of Frantz Art Glass offering Lauscha Glass once again.

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2016-04-08, 9:46am

There was one weird batch years ago of the standard clear. For awhile folks wanting to differentiate that batch from trouble-free batches called subsequent batches Reformulated Clear.

However, the stock number, SNT 100, the official designation, has remained the same through the years, and that's the very well-loved, nice and clear, never scummy Lauscha Clear.

Also available is SNT 101, which is Lauscha SOFT Clear. People pay a premium for that one. Typically "$30 something". It's the one some people prefer for encasing.

The Lauscha REDS are very different from others because they stay "TRUE" and never go livery or brownish.

SNT 219 is their truly TRANSPARENT Red.
SNT 220 covers Light, Medium, Dark and Bright reds. They are translucent. The Dark is what I've called Vampire's Wine. I call the most intense Radiant Red and i think Paula calls it Christmas Red.

Besides staying true without going brown when working, the VISCOSITY of the reds, and all the Lauscha's especially the transparents, are a little stiffer than the Italian glasses, which make it great for sculptural beads or off mandrel work...

Last edited by firelady; 2016-04-09 at 7:57am. Reason: One pronoun reference was unclear. Clarified it.
Old 2016-04-08, 12:35pm
I like to melt things

My faves are:

Steel Blue
Cocoa
Olive
Thuringen Herb (Milky Way)
Peach Transparent
Thuringen Forest
Buckhorn with Silver / Nuclear Brownie
Faded Rose (Milky Way)
Dusty Lilac (Milky Way)
Peach Blush (Milky Way)

-
-
Old 2016-04-09, 8:00am

Thanks Melanie!

How would you describe the opacity shift of the Milky Ways as you work if you were discussing it with somebody who had never touched them? (Do you mind? It might be helpful to those who have never tried them….)
Old 2016-04-09, 1:51pm

Dark teal or Steel blue
Olive green
Transparent purple, Aqua,pink,peach thuringean green & red
Milky way blue

Others that are no longer made - transparents fuchsia, coral pink and I missed out the magenta but would love to try if it became available.
Old 2016-04-10, 6:33am
Live and Let Live

Hawaiian Purple
Cocoa
Steel Blue
Olive
Gold Melon Pink

I would love to have 5 more favorites have not used that many colors.

Old 2016-04-10, 9:24pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Thanks Melanie!

How would you describe the opacity shift of the Milky Ways as you work if you were discussing it with somebody who had never touched them? (Do you mind? It might be helpful to those who have never tried them….)
I don't know that I have noticed much 'opacity shift' when using these colours except that they are more translucent in the rod, and are transparent when worked, but they opacify as they cool. I have never had any luck at all keeping the translucence in a piece.

I would say that the Milky Way colours are semi-opaque, although if you make solid beads out of them, they seem opaque enough. The Milky Way colours are translucent when used in thin layers. They have a luminosity that you don't get from very opaque glass. They reflect the colours around them, so they look different hues depending on what you pair them with. For instance, Thuringen Herb looks a pale bluish green colour with my new green frit blend "Kudzu", but when it is used alone, it is a pale greenish yellow.

The Milky Way colours are easier to work than the Effetre Opalinos and Alabastros, because they're not as shocky or prone to boiling. They are more opaque than the CiM semi-opaques, and a lot stiffer.

-
-
Old 2016-04-11, 5:30am

That is such a wonderful description! Do you mind if I share it on Facebook with my "Lauscha Lovers" group? (Which by the way, you are all welcome to join….) Just search Facebook for Lauscha Lovers….and that's plural, not possessive….so there's no apostrophe. Ask to join and I'll let you in. OR, PM me your name on Facebook and I'll invite you in...
Old 2016-04-11, 6:52am
I like to melt things

Quote:
That is such a wonderful description! Do you mind if I share it on Facebook with my "Lauscha Lovers" group? (Which by the way, you are all welcome to join….) Just search Facebook for Lauscha Lovers….and that's plural, not possessive….so there's no apostrophe. Ask to join and I'll let you in. OR, PM me your name on Facebook and I'll invite you in...
Go ahead
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
Old 2016-04-11, 8:17am

Done!
Old 2016-04-11, 9:07am
Lisa Berczel

I've only been lampworking for a little over a year on a Hot Head style set up, and haven't had the chance to play with all the colors... but I can say the Lauscha colors I will ALWAYS have on hand are:

Soft Clear
Red Murrini - LOVE this special color....makes the best red with streaky yellow "flame"
Tangerine - Insanely Vivid
Lemony Snicket - Electric Yellow
Chocolate Kiss
Olive

I'm going to have to get a few more colors to play with.....
Old 2016-04-11, 3:27pm
Slogan Challenged...

I would love to see some samplers, I haven't tried Lauscha except for a few rods that someone gifted me that I haven't melted yet. Curious how the colors or workability compare. Especially for the neutrals. I am always looking for those and especially how they work with silver or frit.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-04-13, 4:35pm

We actually do have a couple of sample packs! We've got the Lauscha Fun Pack, the Lauscha Mini-Pack and the Candy Cane Assortment. You can see what they include here:
Old 2016-04-15, 5:50am
Fried Cat

I have oodles of Lauscha. I never use it. I suppose in the far recesses of my brain, it's always a fear of incompatibility and cracking issues.

I need to break it out again and give it another whirl.

My favorite colors is the vampire red, thurington herb, Wedgwood blue , and a deep dark purple transparent.

Last edited by SGA; 2016-04-15 at 5:52am.
Old 2016-04-15, 7:52am

Default Lauscha Annealing Schedule

Thanks for posting! Don't be afraid of your Lauscha. Just test if you are worried. The only real incompatibility I've ever had is the Kryolith White as a bead core with some colors (including Lauscha reds!) Other than that I haven't (but I don't have time to torch that much….)

If you want to be cautious and try things out, use your Lauscha as surface decoration as you test combinations. Then try it as more of the base bead with the same colors and see what happens.

Also, here's an annealing schedule for you, in case that's been the problem:

ANNEALING LAUSCHA
When mixing Lauscha with Effetre and other 104 colors you need to anneal a little more conservatively and sometimes a little higher than usual. Also the bead needs to go into the kiln glowing hot. This schedule is from From Carol Anne Beckman (Who worked at the Lauscha Factory at the time). You can also try your own schedules depending on the glass you are using. If you are using silver glass you may want to anneal at a lower temperature but longer and slower on the way down.

Annealing Schedule

1. Ramp up as fast or as slow as you feel necessary to 980º F.
2. I do not have a separate temperature for soaking and annealing. I use 980º F. for soaking and annealing.
3. Your program should be as long as your working time, plus a minimum of 2 hours. The 2 hour time must be increased if your beads are bigger than 4 cm. The guideline that I learned is 1/2 hour annealing time for each centimeter of bead size with a minimum of 2 hours.
4. So, a bead that had a largest measurement of 6 cm. would need to be annealed for 3 hours.
5. After the annealing segment of your annealing program, you want to take the kiln down to 800º F. at a rate of between 60º F,- 100º F. per hour. The range from 60-100º per hour is in case you included a bunch of strange stuff in your bead and you want to baby your bead during this part of the annealing cycle...
6. Then, your hold time at 800ºF. (step 5)is going to be the SAME as the amount of time you annealed your beads in step 3.
7. After holding, take your beads down to room temperature at a rate of 60- 100º F. per hour, depending again on how much strange stuff you mixed in with your bead. For more strange stuff, slower.

Hope this is helpful to all of you!
Old 2016-04-15, 9:19am

Default FREE Issue of the Flow!

Thanks for your order, SGA!

It's on it's way out the door, along with a flyer inviting you to join this summer's Lauscha Tour, and a FREE issue of The Flow Magazine.

After Glasscraft Expo in Vegas I was handed a small bundle of them to take home, so I'm including one with glass orders until they're GONE!

Old 2016-04-19, 5:56am

Default Show Us What You've GOT!

And so, here's my invitation…..

Show us pieces you've made using Lauscha! Just upload those pix and let us see! It's okay if it includes other glasses too, as long as it's got some Lauscha in it.

Don't be shy!
Old 2016-04-19, 3:23pm
Lisa Berczel

It's just a test bead, but thought I'd share how Olive and Milk Chocolate are showing up in my work. Acorn is about 1" tall. Olive nut with ivory/Milk Chocolate stringer accents. Effetre Sandalwood cap reduced a little bit on my Hot Head.

Old 2016-08-25, 6:26am

I play with Lauscha Olive and some reactive colors Effetre: Opal Yellow, Avocado, Ivory, Copper Green, Mosaic Green...
I have just been studying reaction to Lauscha Olive.