Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-04-24, 5:33pm

Default Securing Your Toys Outside

My "studio" will be my patio & though our area is low-crime & low traffic, no place is 100% safe. What suggestions do you have for securing my propane tank & oxygen concentrator? I was thinking I could run a chain through them & then through either the patio table or an eye-bolt screwed into the wall.

The torch I'd have to disconnect & bring in, I think. Covering with a cloth probably wouldn't be enough.

Thoughts?
Old 2016-04-24, 7:25pm
Loving learning

I would keep the concentrator inside out of humidity and weather.
Old 2016-04-24, 7:29pm

The chain will probably be enough. I guess it depends on your location. I'm also in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I've had my equipment on the patio for years without being secured. I've lost more equipment lending it to people than I've had stolen.
Old 2016-04-24, 8:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I would keep the concentrator inside out of humidity and weather.
Thanks, Eileen. Fortunately, we have little humidity & "weather" 3 seasons of the year in the San Francisco area. It's the polar opposite of Florida (thank goodness, since I'm a baby when it comes to heat & humidity). The patio is on the north side of the house, so it's shady & will be out of the sun.
Old 2016-04-25, 12:20am
Slogan Challenged...

when I worked on my open patio, I kept the oxycon inside the door as Eileen mentioned. I ran hoses. We had some landscaping which helped conceal the table, so I don't know how "open" your patio is, but I put the propane tank next to the table in some bushes and I left the torch clamped to the table. I did keep most of my glass inside. and tools were in storage drawers mostly. My biggest issue was rust.

I realize that is not ideal. My solution eventually was to enclose the porch (we moved and had a porch we could enclose). Fully screened with safety doors and I finally have a full studio setup and I feel much better.

You could chain your propane or "box" it. Also perhaps some lattice or trellis type of sheets to run alongside the patio and obscure the view? Those can just be tied in, if you rent and can't alter anything.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-04-25, 7:02am
Phill

They have these spiral anchors about 3 feet long that actually get screwed into the ground for staking out dogs on a leader and also for tying down sheds and even mobile homes in areas that get high winds.

Burring one or two of those into the ground and running stranded steel cable with locks on either end or even plastic covered bicycle locking cable with locks is another idea.

I have to second the idea of leaving the oxycon inside and running hose with quick connects out to the torch is the better idea or leaving the torch connected and just bring the torch out for each session especially if you have one of the more spendy torches.

The stuff that does the work of concentrating oxygen really does not like moisture nor do the electronics inside them or the bacteria filters on the inside the oxycons.
Old 2016-04-25, 7:32am
Loving learning

And out of the torch, propane, and oxycon, my oxycon is the most expensive.
Old 2016-06-19, 9:32pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Get your dremel and engrave everything (torch/oxygen con /kiln) with your drivers licence number.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 2016-06-19, 11:04pm
Salt Box Beads

Something like this would secure them and keep them covered overhead. I raise my propane tank off the ground so it won't pool around it if ever there was a leak. Don't keep the tank boxed in, in an area where it could possibly leak and then pool such as in a corner.

http://www.overstock.com/Pet-Supplie...2/product.html
Old 2016-06-22, 1:24am

Thanks, Lorraine.
At the time I asked the original question, I was using up the last canisters of map gas before setting up my new Minor etc. Now that I've been using the new paraphernalia, I think I've got the situation handled. Like Eileen said, the oxycon is the most expensive part if the set-up & since it's so portable, it's easy to bring in the house every time. The propane tank is outside, not in a corner & everything is under a porch roof. It's very fun working outside, hearing the birds, looking at the trees. I'm having a great time learning this new art. If it's too windy, I just knit or crochet or dye or polish rocks or make beach glass art or take a nap. Heh.