Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-23, 4:49pm

Default Is it okay to re-anneal beads?

this may be a dumb question... I have been batch annealing my beads in my small Aim kiln that doesn't have a digital controller... just Low, 1, 2, etc. So I babysat it, trying to raise the temp slowly and hold at 970, then ramping down slowly too. I just don't know if they are truly properly annealed, as the temperature gauge is not precise to read, so I couldn't say it was 'exactly' at the right temp. If that makes sense.

On an exciting note, my new Glass Hive kiln shipped today and I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for it to arrive!! Sooooo, would it be okay to re-anneal my beads again in the new kiln that is properly programmed?

I think I would feel more confident in the durability of my beads if I did.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Trish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2013-08-23, 4:52pm
I'm meeeeelting

Yes, you can re-anneal. Put the beads in when the kiln is cold.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-08-23, 4:58pm

Congrats on the new kiln.
I've read that some pieces are left in the kiln for several cycles. It has to do with bringing out the proper colors, I am not there yet, maybe one day...

Old 2013-08-23, 5:25pm
Naysayer

^this, or if they're cracked I try and repair, or I forget they are in there and they go through a few cycles

congrats on your new baby!
Old 2013-08-23, 8:14pm

thanks! I think I will just feel better putting them through another cycle then. So glad to hear... i was thinking they could probably take it, but wanted to be sure.

And I will be REALLY happy when i can garage my beads as they are created! Never thought I'd see that day anytime soon, but my last show did really well and this seemed like a wise investment.

I've been doing my happy dance all night long! Now just how fast can FedEx get here from Oregon?!

Old 2013-08-23, 9:58pm

I think - and I could be very, very wrong - that some silver glasses don't like batch annealing? Brad says his Strikingcolor won't change, but I think some others will lose their color. Can anyone chime in?

Barbara
Old 2013-08-23, 10:26pm
Glass-aholic

Yes I have heard that some glass will basically over strike and loose color when batch annealed. This can happen when beads are left in the kiln too long (first beads made vs last beads made before ramping) and some reduction glasses can loose their luster. But overall it's not a huge problem, and the issues goes toward too much heat in the kiln usually. It helps to run it a little bit lower than normal when using these glasses even when not batch annealing. For some reason I think I remember pandora maybe being a big culprit if this... And terra(the original) and earlier colors. Most that came out prior to the kiln striking glasses, or that act on the same principles.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-23, 11:43pm
Naysayer

Some get better with more than one cycle, esp. some boro. It depends on the glass and how you work it.

Trish I have a glass hive and i just love it to bits!
Old 2013-08-24, 7:42am

I read so many glowing reviews of the Glass Hive kilns on this site, it seemed a no-brainer to go for it! I do hope it's easy to learn how to use, but at least I know where to go for help... not only from Pam, but you guys are wonderful here. thanks!

Old 2013-08-24, 7:50am

I work mainly boro- so keep that in mind.
I finish my days work by annealing, and the next day bring it up to temp in the kiln, continue and anneal again that night. on some of my sculptures I worked 5 days in a row this way. Now these are a great deal larger than beads... but the principle should be the same as long as its not a chrome color.