LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-26, 8:21am

Default Lampwork Dont's

Thought it might be fun to have a thread listings what NOT to do. Sort of like the Stupid Newbies Mistakes for Laughs (http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...stupid+mistake) but not exactly.

Please feel free to add your own!!

Don't wipe frit off of your work surface with your bare hand.

Don't try to catch the hot mandrel and bead as it slips from your hand. (or marble when it breaks off the punty)

Don't put your silver or gold foil near your make-up air vent.

Don't let your husband use your favorite pair of tweezers when he melts glass. To the tweezers.

Don't set your double ended pick down with the hot end towards you.

Don't put hot beads too close in the kiln (you think I'd learn after all this time!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-04-26, 8:58am
Flame Dames Rule!

Don't accidently brush your teeth with the burn ointment.

Don't sit on the very, very edge of your wheeled chair.

Don't keep a little dish of M&M's next to the dish of 'Do This Color Next' filler beads.

Don't keep glass full of picks and dental tools pointy side up.

Don't turn on the kiln without looking inside first.

Don't turn on the propane until you made damn sure the torch is turned OFF.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Last edited by SharonP; 2014-04-26 at 9:01am.
Old 2014-04-26, 9:17am
Burnt Wood Beads

Don't wear flammable pajamas when torching!

Don't forget POOP! (propane, oxygen then oxygen, propane)

Don't touch the end of the mandrel you've just waved in the flame (duh)!

Don't lean over the flame.

Old 2014-04-26, 9:31am

Don't program your kiln in Fahrenheit when it's set for Celsius

Old 2014-04-26, 10:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
Don't accidently brush your teeth with the burn ointment.

Don't sit on the very, very edge of your wheeled chair.

Don't keep a little dish of M&M's next to the dish of 'Do This Color Next' filler beads.

Don't keep glass full of picks and dental tools pointy side up.

Don't turn on the kiln without looking inside first.

Don't turn on the propane until you made damn sure the torch is turned OFF.
ROFLOL!!! Only from Smartassglass!

Old 2014-04-26, 10:52am
Flame Dames Rule!

And I've done every damn one of those. Once.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2014-04-26, 10:59am
Who me?

While in the middle of working on a bead, don't reach too far for a stringer or whatever with one hand, so that your body rotates and the hand holding the mandrel ends up in the torch flame. Yup, done it to both hands now. Freshly burned skin looks like seared chicken and hurts like a bitch.
Old 2014-04-26, 11:14am
MacGalver

Don't put away that special special silver glass without clearly labelling it because you are SURE you could never mistake it for another color (like generic amber, for instance). NOT that I ever did anything like that.....

And, never reach through the flame for something on the back of your bench. Yep, did that, and I had been flameworking for over 15 years when I did it, so it wasn't a newbie mistake!

Old 2014-04-26, 11:29am

When cleaning off you table of 104 glass so you can work boro don't reach under the torch that you just turned off for little fragments of glass and touch that HOT torch you just turned off! Worse burn I have EVER had!!!

LynieG
Old 2014-04-26, 11:34am
Loving learning

Don't lay your arm across the ceramic heater to get something behind it, crispy's up your arm nicely.

Don't listen to a book on tape with sound effects if it's going to have gunfights in it. Luckily when I jumped I didn't stick anything in the flame.

Don't fall in love with colors in a bead or twistie, and then think "oh I don't need to write these down, I'll remember for sure!"... unless you don't really care if you ever get to repeat that success.
Old 2014-04-26, 11:34am

Don't walk barefoot through the studio area and assume that what is stuck to the bottom of your foot is a piece of gravel tracked in by teenager.

Extra don't ... Try and wipe off assumed piece of stone by rubbing twisting foot on flooring. All you'll do is make the cut deeper from the piece of glass that's now embedded in your foot.
Old 2014-04-26, 11:45am

Don't catch. Anything. (Hypothetically, this applied to a soldering iron at one point, and a wad of hot wanna-be-twisty at another point. The don't catch rule is now firmly in effect. Hypothetically.)

Cleavage is not a fashion asset in the studio, it's a popping glass bits catcher.

Don't spin a bead to extend it when it's too hot... Unless you want part of the glass to land on your shoulder.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2014-04-26, 12:21pm
Lifelong Student

Don't kiss HD while spinning a bead in the flame...things can get pretty hot
Old 2014-04-26, 2:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina View Post
Don't kiss HD while spinning a bead in the flame...things can get pretty hot
Welllll, that's one way to keep things interesting.

At least you guys learn from your mistakes!

Old 2014-04-26, 4:31pm

Don't put your mandrel tray on top of the kiln to dry bead release....

Old 2014-04-26, 4:52pm

Don't forget to give that bead release lid an extra quarter turn when you put it back on. No matter the color, release does not look good on painted walls, glass rods, cd player, kiln, etc.
Always put frit back into labeled container. Copper ruby looks just like dark amber in average light.
Don't prop your elbow on your work surface where you just had a rod pop off in the flame.
Don't leave leaf on your work surface. Just 'cause it's not breezy now doesn't mean the breeze when you open the door won't send it aloft.
Old 2014-04-26, 5:06pm
honorary bead lady

Don't sweep your bench with your hand (not my hand)
Old 2014-04-26, 5:50pm
Back to 👊 1

Geezuz, that made my butt pucker!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2014-04-26, 6:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Don't sweep your bench with your hand (not my hand)
You didn't have to go to all that trouble just to flip us off, ya know.

Old 2014-04-28, 6:35am

When you use a long pair of tweezers to rest your mandrels on to keep them clean, DON'T move the tweezers with your hand!

Don't take your beads off the mandrels with the fan running, unless you want a layer of bead release on everything.

Old 2014-04-28, 7:27am
Lifelong Student

Don't wash your beads in the kitchen sink without counting how many you are washing. Never know when one might decide to take up residency in the garbage disposal.
Old 2014-04-28, 7:36am

Don't place your press under the flame unless you want to burn you hand when you try to use it!
Old 2014-04-28, 7:54am

Don't start suddenly using mandrels dipped on the end after years of being used to mandrels dipped in the middle. I learned this the hard way the other day when I grabbed for the end of the mandrel and latched onto a flaming hot bead.
Old 2014-04-28, 9:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina View Post
Don't wash your beads in the kitchen sink without counting how many you are washing. Never know when one might decide to take up residency in the garbage disposal.
LOL! Especially with spacers! (Or so I've, uhm, heard)

Old 2014-04-28, 9:39am

Don't torch with your studio door open when you have curious skunks, or spastic squirrels in the area. (both in a one week span, the cool breeze is just not worth it)
Don't torch at night if you are too scared to walk back to the house in the dark.
Don't start that special bead, with the expensive glass, if you haven't checked how much gas is left in your tank. =/
Old 2014-04-28, 9:43am
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrix92 View Post
Don't torch at night if you are too scared to walk back to the house in the dark.
I had DH put a porch light on my craft shack, and a timer for the switch, so I can turn it on for 10-15 minutes to at least be able to go out & lock my door & start for the house in the light.
Old 2014-04-28, 9:51am

My studio is about 200 yards from the house and there is a lot of wildlife out there. lol. I *thought* living in the middle of nowhere country would be fun. Yeah, totally a city girl.
Bea
Old 2014-04-28, 9:54am
Loving learning

Ohhhhh, 200 yards! Do you keep a flashlight in your building? I used to have one that plugged in the wall to recharge, but it finally stopped charging. My shack is only about 80-90 feet from the back door I think, but I don't usually mind the dark once I get used to it. Just not fond of stepping out from a lighted space into dark for some reason.
Old 2014-04-28, 10:43am
Senior Moment

You don't need a flashlight Bea, you need a horse!

And mine? Do be sure to put out what you think you might need to making your creation. Hunting thru drawers while trying not to cook everything around you with 1500*F+ piece of semi molten glass onna metal rod is NOT recommended.

And just because the torch is off, does not mean it's COOL.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-04-28, 2:51pm

Beatrix, your post cracked me up. Spastic squirrels. Probably wouldn't be laughing if it happened to me, though.

If you're annealing short pieces of copper tubing, don't use your hand to put a cool piece of copper on the mandrel you just had in the flame.