Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What do you think of your bead-coring tool?
Jim Moore's Bead Press - love it 84 23.01%
Jim Moore's Bead Press - on the fence 7 1.92%
Jim Moore's Bead Press - not happy with it 2 0.55%
Retro Tool's Bead Liner - love it 20 5.48%
Retro Tool's Bead Liner - on the fence 9 2.47%
Retro Tool's Bead Liner - not happy with it 3 0.82%
Art in the Round's Impress - love it 88 24.11%
Art in the Round's Impress - on the fence 19 5.21%
Art in the Round's Impress - not happy with it 3 0.82%
Old fashioned dapping set and hammer 65 17.81%
Other 65 17.81%
Voters: 365. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-01-07, 2:04pm

Default Which do you use to silver-core your beads?

Which do you use, and how do you like it?

(Let me see if I can do this more quickly this time!)

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-07, 2:23pm

What if you have more than one of the tools?

Ginko Beads
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-07, 2:26pm

Uh, , I didn't think about that! How about if you vote for your favorite?

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2009-01-07, 9:20pm

Ahh ... well I voted for other since I used to do hand dapping (aided by my Hydraulic press), then got a Retro tool, and then an Impress (had to compare, plus I'm a tool ho) ... In all honesty they all have their pluses and minuses. The Impress is way cheaper but is limited height (been fixed by adding on some risers) plus if nothing else you should get the deburring tool from Art in the Round - that is totally awesome! Everyone doing coring should get one of those imho. I like the Retro tools ease of changing core size - I would say that is it's main advantage over the other versions ... I haven't seen or used Jim Moores tool - it makes perfect sense and by all accounts is wonderful, but I'm not going to spend that amount until I know that I want to be in major coring production (I tend to think in terms of how many I'd need to do to pay off the cost of it - that's a lot more than I'm currently making of them)!

Old 2009-01-07, 9:54pm

Thanks for your input! I was beginning to think no one was going to make any comments, but thanks to those who voted!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2009-01-07, 10:05pm

Would someone answer this question:

How long (or tall) a bead can be cored in Jim Moore's Bead Press?

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2009-01-07, 10:43pm

I just did a quick, rough measurement, and it looks like just over 2.25" would be the largest.

Mary
Old 2009-01-07, 10:55pm
I'm a lilac!

I only have the Jim Moore one, and I love it... I can core a bead in 30 seconds, literally. I also have a small brass hammer for banging the core flush to a cap, if I want a slightly domed look.

Old 2009-01-07, 11:01pm

I voted for loving the Jim Moore press. The nylon (OMG brain fade, can't remember what they're called) thingies that are optional are absolutely brilliant and definitely worth getting IMO.

Marianne.
Old 2009-01-07, 11:14pm

Mary, thanks for the info!!

Kalera & Marianne, thanks for your input! I've heard nothing but great things about his press. BTW, Kalera, I love your cored beads!!

I think it's interesting to note that those who've voted love what they have - whatever it is. On the one hand, that's great news. On the other hand, it's not helping me one little bit in trying to make a decision!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2009-01-08, 12:38am

Jim Moore's press is wonderful and his services is unbelievable.
Old 2009-01-08, 1:05am

Well, to me what matters is not only the fact that a tool is easy to use or can do the job super fast, it is also the end result. Actually, it is the finish look of the cored bead is what matters to me the most. I'm super picky about that. It has to be a perfect fit between the edge of the flared tube and the bead. I don't want to be able to put a hair between the silver that has been flared and my bead. When I look at silver cored beads, it is often the case though. Nothing wrong with that, just a matter of personal preferences.

I don't know if all those tools / methods can give me the look I'm after (rounded and tight). It seems that Dave's tool can give you a various looks, but I don't know about the tight fit though, because the one that I have and like very much is the retro liner and the service is great too.

I hope I'm making sense here because english is to me a foreign langage and when it comes down to technical stuff, I know that I don't have the right words to express that.

Old 2009-01-08, 9:02am

The impress tool is easy to use, and beats Jim's tool on price. I would put it at best value for your dollar.

But if you have the money to spend, I think Jim's tool is slightly easier/quicker and more versatile.

My short list of pros/cons

Jim's tool
pros - ease of use, excellent appearance after coring with the least extra work, versatility (small to 1/2 inch inner diameter,), no limit to outer diameter, can core beads of different heights without changing parts
cons - price, a little bulky to store if you have limited space

Dave's Impress tool
pros - price, very good appearance after coring (some hammering needed for finished appearance), easy size to store in the studio
cons - limited to ~1.25" outer diameter bead. That is if you are making a big disc/mandala type bead, it can't be larger than about 1.25" or it won't fit into the tool. Somewhat slower to core beads because of the tightening/loosening that has to be done with each flip of the bead.

So, I think you can't go wrong with either tool. They both make a great finished product. Depends on your price point. I do no currently own the Jim Moore too, but it is at the top of my list of tools to purchase. They are both extremely well made, and should last indefinitely under normal storage conditions.

I have no experience with the retro tool.
Old 2009-01-08, 9:36am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I actually am able to snug my silver down completely with my Impress tool - it takes practice to know exactly how much pressure to use to keep from cracking your bead. The only time I have to hammer is if the bead is uneven. I also really like the look of the impress lines beads more than the Moore press ones.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-08, 10:19am

Sylvie, you expressed yourself quite clearly, and I, too, am very particular about the fit against the bead. Squidly, I appreciate your specific reference and opinion about preferring the appearance of beads cored with the Impress.

The bead below is one I cored a while ago using a dapping set. It's a 1/2" core. What I like with this bead and want to achieve with one of these tools is the end of the tubing not just flaring out over the ends of the bead, but that it is rolled back over to touch (barely) the bead. I don't know whether this is possible, or if I'll have to hammer the ends down, which I'll do if I have to. I just really like the turned edges as opposed to having them just flair out.

The photo's a bit dark, but you can see the tubing fairly well.

ETA - to those who've voted and are not loving their tool of choice, thanks for your honesty!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Last edited by Renee; 2009-01-08 at 10:23am.
Old 2009-01-08, 10:23am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Sylvie, you expressed yourself quite clearly, and I, too, am very particular about the fit against the bead. Squidly, I appreciate your specific reference and opinion about preferring the appearance of beads cored with the Impress.

The bead below is one I cored a while ago using a dapping set. It's a 1/2" core. What I like with this bead and want to achieve with one of these tools is the end of the tubing not just flaring out over the ends of the bead, but that it is rolled back over to touch (barely) the bead. I don't know whether this is possible, or if I'll have to hammer the ends down, which I'll do if I have to. I just really like the turned edges as opposed to having them just flair out.

The photo's a bit dark, but you can see the tubing fairly well.

That is exactly the look I am talking about - the impress will roll the tubing over once you learn how large to make your turns. Beautiful bead!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-01-08, 10:26am

Thanks, Squidly. Unfortunately, it has a small chip from coring it. Fortunately, it's all mine!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2009-01-08, 10:39am

I voted for Jim Moore's press. I have tried the retro tool but have not tried the Impress. I can easily core 100 beads in an hour or less with Jim Moore's tool. You are not limited in size with this machine. I have been using this tool for 2 years now and can't imagine ever coring a bead by hand again...... I cored all of my 200 commemorative beads for bead and button by hand and it took me about a week to do 200 of them.

Jim's machine is a large machine, so if space is an issue for you it may not be the one for you. You can also buy a lot of extra accessories for his. He just finished making the doming accessory for it, they should be on his site very soon.

Just my 2 cents....
Andrea

Old 2009-01-08, 10:42am

I meant to add these photos to my post and forgot....

Andrea

Old 2009-01-08, 10:58am

Thanks for your input, Andrea. I've long admired your beads (cored and not cored), but that second bead you posted is stunning!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2009-01-08, 11:25am
Broken

I voted for Jim's too, it's no secret I love it! I can core anything in it and it does a great even flare with no problems. I've tried the others and wasn't happy with them.

Don't forget Jim has a ring/bracelet attachment for his press too!

Old 2009-01-08, 11:35am
Wild at Heart!

I voted for Jim's tool.

I love it!! it's so quick and easy and I can core down to 1/16th and up to 1/2". The additional rubber die is awesome and it always makes my core nice and snug against the bead. It's easy and uncomplicated to use. I'd love to get some of his specialty attachments. In addition, he has awesome customer service.

I don't like it when there are gaps either. I'm with Sylvie and Renee and can be quite particular about how the core is at the end. If I have a problem, It's usually because of me and that MY ends are not good..

I've never used the Impress... but I did teach a class this summer on silver coring and caps and a couple of people brought their Retro tools. They were having problems coring their beads, and I felt bad I could help them since I had never used it. Because the bead is cored horizontally they were having trouble holding it and getting the coring right. Jim had generously loaned the presses for the class. Since that what I use at home, that's what I taught the class with.

Good luck with your choice!

Kristi

??
Old 2009-01-08, 12:01pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I actually am able to snug my silver down completely with my Impress tool - it takes practice to know exactly how much pressure to use to keep from cracking your bead. The only time I have to hammer is if the bead is uneven. I also really like the look of the impress lines beads more than the Moore press ones.

I am able to do this also. I initially purchased the Impress because of it's low cost. I am very happy with it. If I had more disposable income I would probably upgrade to the Jim Moore tool. I like what I've read about it. And, I like the fact that it has attachments to do different things.

So, if cost is an issue but you want a tool that will give you beautiful rounded lips on your cores get the Impress. If you don't mind spending the extra dollars and want a little more versatility get the Jim Moore tool.

Old 2009-01-08, 12:03pm

What are some of the specialty attachments? I saw the ones for different size cores, and the plastic thingy. Are there more?

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2009-01-08, 12:41pm
Wild at Heart!

Renee..

He has an attachment that will hold a ring or bracelet that has tubing soldered to it and then you can rivit your bead onto it. It's pretty slick!

Nicole has one, maybe she will post a picture of one of her rings.

I think he is coming out with something that aids in doming caps too.. Not sure what exactly it's going to do though..

I think the ring/bracelet accessory was made because a customer asked if it was possible. I think it's cool he's willing to make attachments based on the artists needs. I don't have one yet, but I want one!

Kristi

??
Old 2009-01-08, 12:48pm
Broken

Renee here is a ring I rivited with Jim's bracelet/ring attachment.

Old 2009-01-08, 12:51pm

Well, isn't that clever?! That's a gorgeous ring, Nicole! Thanks to you and Kristi.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2009-01-08, 12:56pm
Most have those beadies

I still glue my silver cores in.
I have everything at home to make my own beadliner, the one thing missing is: time.

my
my

my
my

Old 2009-01-08, 1:28pm
Broken

Renee the attachment will work for anything curved ring, bracelet, pendant. It's very easy to use and will do a large piece if needed.

Old 2009-01-08, 1:35pm

Thanks, Nicole. My mind is reeling with possibilities!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio