Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-02-17, 10:42am

Default Nasal Screens

I just ordered some of these to try. I was thinking they would help me continue my walks through the spring litter-spreading season in the country, but I'm also going to use them for cleaning my studio, etc. Anyone tried them?

http://www.filteryourlife.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-02-17, 11:30am

Never saw those before, but I love the idea...nothing on your face! Of course for dust only, but wow! Let me know how they work out, please?

Judy
Old 2012-02-17, 11:59am

Did a little digging - they claim it will filter 99% of particles, which would be the same as an N95 mask.

I would love to hear how you feel that they work for you once you have had a chance to try them.

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators
Old 2012-02-17, 12:26pm
Gentleman of Leisure

But what size "particles"..... A N or R 95 mask is down to something like 5 micron...

mi·cron also mi·kron (mkrn)
n. pl. mi·crons or mi·cra (-kr) also mi·krons or mi·kra (-kr)
A unit of length equal to one millionth (10-6) of a meter.

par·ti·cle
   [pahr-ti-kuhl] Show IPA
noun
a minute portion, piece, fragment, or amount; a tiny or very small bit: a particle of dust; not a particle of supporting evidence.
Physics .
a.
one of the extremely small constituents of matter, as an atom or nucleus.
b.
an elementary particle, quark, or gluon.
c.
a body in which the internal motion is negligible.
a clause or article, as of a document.
Grammar .
a.
(in some languages) one of the major form classes, or parts of speech, consisting of words that are neither nouns nor verbs, or of all uninflected words, or the like.
b.
such a word.
c.
a small word of functional or relational use, as an article, preposition, or conjunction, whether of a separate form class or not.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2012-02-17 at 12:29pm.
Old 2012-02-17, 5:20pm

I researched these a while back and they do not have any credible data on porosity. No concept concerning particle size is mentioned anywhere. I decided to steer clear of these for that reason.
Old 2012-02-17, 6:48pm
Salt Box Beads

I actually use the filters that fit into the nostrils. i love them work great for when we are doing yard work, I get sick from leaf mold and burning leaves. They have stopped my sinus problems/ infections/headaches from yard work

I saw the man that invented these when he went to 'the Sharks" on TV to get the nose filters you ordered, financed and they have some great science behind them, including blocking most of the airborn virus' which enter through the nostrils.

Enjoy.
Old 2012-02-17, 9:24pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Oh wow, I am going to get these for my next airplane trip. Airplane air skeeves me out.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-02-18, 9:12am

I think that their claims are a more than a bit inflated. First, airborne viruses are smaller than 0.1 micron and a filter that will trap them is not 100% breathable. 'Flu' is an influenza virus that is contracted most often by exposure by contaminated hand/finger contact with the eyes. These things may be good for pollen and nuisance dust, but I don't believe that they are up to the the claims made for them. I would expect them to run afoul of the FDA at some point for over stating medical benefits.

Robert
Old 2012-02-18, 9:58am
Salt Box Beads

I wear mine for these reasons since I am not in a third world country or a war zone:

First Defense Nasal Screens are clinically proven to prevent up to 99% of air born allergens including:•Pollen
•Germs
•Bacteria
•Pollution
•Pet Dander
•Molds
•Dust
•And other airborne contaminates

Key word in these descriptions is REDUCE

•Nasal dust covers made of 100% breathable non-latex, skin safe material.
•Helps protect against foreign air born particles entering nasal passages.
•Reduce respiratory exposure to viruses, germs, flu's, colds, bacteria, dust, pollen, pollutants, contaminants, second hand smoke and carcinogens.

Again they state REDUCE

•Reduce Exposure to Cold and Flu Droplets with First Defense

I think their claims of reducing are valid and since I wear nostril filters and they work well for me I would take the high road and rather try to have some protection as not.
Old 2012-02-19, 10:53am

Sorry.....REDUCE could mean anything. These guys are selling snake oil. Might be OK for "walks through the country" but I would stay away for hazardous situations like studio cleaning.
Old 2012-02-19, 11:43am
Salt Box Beads

Well...snake oil is kinda strong terminology but yes they work great for pollens, dust and walks in the country and working in my yard, also for wood burning smoke.

At least they help DH and myself a lot. I prefer them to wearing a paper mask outside which is what I was doing.
Old 2012-02-19, 5:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Sorry.....REDUCE could mean anything. These guys are selling snake oil. Might be OK for "walks through the country" but I would stay away for hazardous situations like studio cleaning.
"Reduce" could mean anything, just like "research" can mean anything. IMO "research" that doesn't include an empirical element--i.e. actually trying the product--is only "research" in quotation marks.

Old 2012-02-21, 11:17am

I was kind of wondering how many of us use enamel and frits without masks? It might be better then nothing?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2012-02-21, 11:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
I was kind of wondering how many of us use enamel and frits without masks? It might be better then nothing?
That's what I was thinking. Even when I where the "good" mask, it doesn't make a perfect seal around my face. If I move, it gaps. Same with every other mask I've tried. I should get these today or tomorrow. I'm going to put them on and clean the bird room--a job that normally makes me sneeze like crazy. We'll see what happens.

Old 2012-02-21, 12:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
It might be better then nothing?
Based on their documentation.......it might not.
Old 2012-02-21, 2:00pm
Salt Box Beads

Can't wait to hear back to see if you like yours as much as I like mine.

Bird dust is a perfect testing ground.
Old 2012-02-21, 5:19pm

If you are very careful to only breath through your nose then you might see some benefit. Open your mouth and the offending material goes straight to your lower airways without the benefit of filtration by your nose hairs. I think Larry's right.

Robert