Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-07-20, 3:59pm
Christine

Default Detail work, very thin stringers

Hi, when I apply small (tiny) dots to my bead, I am nose to nose with the hothead. I find too that I look over my safety glasses when I'm doing this. Am I damaging my eyes if the torch is turned way low?
Thanks in advance!
Christine
Old 2015-07-20, 4:17pm

If nothing else, you're exposing your eyes to the UV rays. I haven't been diligent using sunscreen on my hands and arms, and it's obvious my left arm and hand are exposed to the flame more than my right by the condition of the skin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-07-20, 5:41pm
Christine

I should use sunscreen when torching??
Old 2015-07-21, 3:19am
Slogan Challenged...

I wouldn't just worry about the eyes in that scenario, LOL. Perhaps some clip on magnifiers would help. Devardi has some for $5.00, I've been pleased with mine. The only problem is I watch tv on a tablet while I work and that goes all blurry when I wear them. YMMV

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-07-21, 7:35am
Corgi Cult Member

They sell didys with magnification built in, (Uptown), or you can use stick on readers on your current pair. You really want to keep something between your eyes and work. If the tip of the stringer shocks, it could go into your eye.

Old 2015-07-21, 8:12am
I fart diamonds

I look over my glasses all the time, but it's a very bad habit.

Old 2015-07-21, 8:35am
addicted to dichro

I have heard conflicting opinions on whether the flare on a hothead is strong enough to do damage. It is not painfully bright or even annoyingly bright but on an oxygen propane torch you wouldn't think of forgetting your glasses. I wonder if because the soda flare isn't very bright on a hothead that the didys are just too dark. I wear them while shaping the beads and not doing up close detailed work to be safe. Also get regular eye exams and tell your eye doctor that you work with hot glass.

Old 2015-07-21, 8:43am
addicted to dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
They sell didys with magnification built in, (Uptown), or you can use stick on readers on your current pair. You really want to keep something between your eyes and work. If the tip of the stringer shocks, it could go into your eye.
Yes, regular glasses or safety glasses for flying glass protection are a must. I've found that clear lenses don't affect my close up vision at all, but didys really hurt it.

Won't most clear lenses offer UV protection? My prescription glasses and contacts do. Apparently the problem is infrared radiation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glassblower%27s_cataract

Old 2015-07-21, 8:44am
addicted to dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaronn View Post
I should use sunscreen when torching??
Definitely not necessary on a hothead.

Old 2015-07-21, 10:49am
Christine

THANK YOU!!
Old 2015-07-21, 6:59pm
Christine

KJohn, I just ordered the Devardi Magnifiers, thanks. Do you use them then without didys?
Old 2015-07-22, 2:02am
Slogan Challenged...

no, I clip them over my didys. Most glasses will work I think. Very comfortable to use. but don't try to walk in them LOL

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-07-22, 4:50am

Oh....I never knew I had to use sunscreen....I'm on a mini-CC.

Old 2015-07-24, 9:29pm
I like to melt things

I used to catch myself looking over my glasses, too, but after I got a flip-up magnifier to wear on my head for close-up work I stopped doing it. If you're having trouble seeing, consider a magnifier and better lights.

-
-
Old 2015-07-25, 11:38am
Christine

Definitely, Melanie, thank you!
Old 2015-07-27, 9:58pm

I would worry more about eye injury from popping glass or poking your self with the stringer - or even inhaling fumes that aren't whisked away with your nose to close to the flame. You shouldn't work with glass ever without personal protective equipment. I am sooooo guilty of getting too close to the flame when doing detail work and I wear glasses (progressives so just a tilt of the head to get the correct focal length) so I got a didy shield. I love it & feel really obstructed when I have to work without it. This is the didy shield I have - got it from Blue Moon in Austin.
https://blue-moon-glassworks.myshopi...h-mounted-long
Old 2015-07-28, 5:29am

I use this same shield and really love it. I wear glasses and this just works so much better than wearing glasses over glasses or clip on's.
Old 2015-07-29, 1:49pm
Christine

Thank you, I need one of those!