Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-05-08, 2:03pm

Default Hellcat Review

I put this review in the lobby, but on second thought I should have just posted it here. I did not ever notice that we had a torch room until now.

So here are my first impressions of the new Hellcat:

I just had the honor of testing the new HellCat torch from Carlisle. It rocks. I messed around for about three hours. The center fire is very similar to the mini CC, but it is a little narrower. The outer fire was hot, but it kept the soft glass colors very bright. I chose to work with Black, Periwinkle, Pearl Grey, and Turquoise. If the flame chemistry is off then it usually shows up in these colors. The turquoise stayed bright and the periwinkle kept clean crisp lines. No reduction or over oxidizing in any part of the flame/ I was able to make about a 2.5 " marble in soft glass in about an hour. It was not the best marble I have ever made, I was just testing the torches ability to heat that much glass, with out ruining the color. It worked great.

I was a little worried about the torch getting hot, but it stayed cool enough to touch throughout the large marble's creation.

If you are thinking about a larger torch, I would definitely put this one on the list. Chris is planning on sending me the large marble and I will show it off. I have only made a torch marble that big one other time, but I can see a lot more of them in the future.

If you are going to glass stock, I think he said he will have them there for people to try, and I am sure they will be at the gathering. So go test it out.

Brad Pearson
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2007-05-08, 2:25pm
Cheerfully Profane

Any idea how much it's going to sell for?

Can't wait to see that marble!
Old 2007-05-08, 2:32pm

I think they said 845.00 plus another twenty if you want the adapter to turn it into a duel input torch instead of a four port system.

Shouldn't you be on your honeymoon??

Brad Pearson

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2007-05-08, 2:34pm
Cheerfully Profane

Damn. That's out of my range for right now.

I got a house instead of a honeymoon. Pfft. The honeymoon would have been a LOT less work. And a few other choice things I can't say in the torch review section.
Old 2007-05-08, 3:10pm

You only have to sell less than ten marbles to get one.

And you do know that a honeymoon, is a state of mind. If you need instructions just let me know.

Brad

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2007-05-10, 10:59pm

Thumbs up This Torch Rocks!

I have played on the Hellcat (prototype) as well at Carlisle and I give it rave reviews! I love being able to work both soft glass and boro on the same torch, and it kicks azz, with things from beads, to pendant implosions to small details. Yes Brad, I now have clearance to purchase both a CC and a Hellcat in my studio...good call! Yet I suppose a kiln, electric and ventilation will have to come in at some point as well! The shed is up so I'm on my way! See you in July, looking forward to it!
Old 2007-05-17, 5:05pm

When will they start selling these?
G.
Old 2007-05-17, 9:40pm

I am pretty sure you can pre-order one now, but don't quote me. Call them up they'd be glad to help you. 1-800-922-1167
Old 2007-05-17, 9:45pm
I'm a lilac!

Heyy heyy heyyy that looks like a great torch! Like a Wildcat but with an inner and outer ring, kind of? When the Wildcat came out I was wishing for something like this! Cool beans. I love the Minis, they're such kick-ass little torches.

Old 2007-05-18, 7:37am
Against the Grain

I have a good feeling about this torch. I have a mini cc that I love and I can see the Hellcat being the "perfect" torch for someone who does both soft glass and likes to work some boro too.

I think I shall print off the picture and post it on the wall so I can drool over it.

Was there any mention of the Hellcat being able to run with NG?

This is definitely a torch I will be keeping my eye on.
Thanks for posting the reviews.

under construction

HELLCAT! with 2 oxycons and household NG (yes I will be increasing the oxy)

D-41
Old 2007-05-18, 9:14am

I also printed off the picture and put it on my workbench, so I can dream while I work on small stuff, waiting for it to be produced.

Should not be long now. I think some will be ready at the end of the month.

Brad Pearson

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2007-05-18, 10:50am

Default Inner and Outer Fire? NG?

There is an inner and an outer fire....the middle is actually a mini cc....then when you want extra fire/heat you turn on the outer ring of fire. I believe it will also work with natural gas, but again call them to be sure. I wouldn't want to mislead you but from what I understand you can use natural gas with any of the torches.(mini, wildcat, CC and hellcat)
Old 2007-05-19, 10:23am

I think it could run off NG. The only problem will be getting the volume out of a regular household pressure to run the outer flame. The commercial boosters are pretty expensive. You will have to find out the pressure and volume of your home's line and then check with carslilse.

Brad Pearson

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2007-05-19, 12:55pm
Against the Grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsonglass View Post
I think it could run off NG. The only problem will be getting the volume out of a regular household pressure to run the outer flame. The commercial boosters are pretty expensive. You will have to find out the pressure and volume of your home's line and then check with carslilse.
Thanks Brad. Actually because I am in a rural setting, my household line is larger than standard. The supplying gas company wants a line that is large enough to run every appliance and water heater in the house full tilt.
There is another solution: I could tap into the 2 inch gas line in my pasture that feeds the subdivision behind my property. However I think that would cause an issue or two.
I will check with Carlisle once the Hellcat is out on the market.

under construction

HELLCAT! with 2 oxycons and household NG (yes I will be increasing the oxy)

D-41
Old 2007-05-19, 3:32pm

This might be of some interest. I have a Mini CC and a Wildcat. I use Natural Gas and I live in a city. I can run both at the same time, the gas furnace and the gas hot water may come on and I notice no difference. I use 3 Oxycon to run the two torches and that just barely does it. But the point is the Natural gas has enough pressure and volume to run them.

Gordon
Old 2007-05-26, 11:52am

That is good to know Gordon, thanks for the info.

Brad Pearson

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2007-05-26, 4:55pm

Brad did you run this torch on tanked oxygen, or generator? How did you like it compared to a Lucio torch?

Old 2007-06-05, 6:15am

Hey Ellen, I have only used it on tanked O2. I am going to hook it up to my oxycons as soon as it arrives and run some tests. It has more heat than the Lucio, and the flame is more forceful( don't know how else to describe it).

I am looking forward to being able to use a foot pedal and get a big burst of heat only when I need it. I will let you know what I think when I have it up and running for over a month.

Brad

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2007-06-05, 6:47am

Look forward to hearing how it goes ! Thanks Brad.