Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-20, 7:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
sign up for the newsletter. When the new shipment comes in, the folks on the newsletter get notified first. I've ordered twice when they had all the colors, but I did it promptly when they opened it up for purchasing.
What glass stuff said--when they get a shipment in is your best bet on getting 99% of the colors--the first couple days they've got about everything & people just go wild buying in bulk--for all the "we won't use this glass" on some of the forums, they do a pretty darn good job of selling out as fast as they can get the glass in on a lot of the desireable colors . I think more beadmakers than will admit are using the stuff, or at least placing "try it out" orders when the really pretty new colors come in!

The newsletter gets you notified *when* the shipment comes, in advance, with a date they'll be opening the site for orders *before* they put it up on ebay, so you can place your order *before* it becomes "public knowledge" that the "glass has arrived"--gives newsletter folks a chance to snag the best colors up front, the pinks, the marine greens, the butterscotch....it's worth it to sign up even if you're only after a "sampler" of a couple quarter pounds of specific shades--after all, you can get quite a few quarter pounds of quite a few colors for under $40!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-09-21, 3:30am

Oh, and they don't spam you, so don't worry about getting tons of emails from them.
Old 2009-09-23, 11:28am
Lover of all things color

Have any of you ever tried the silver plated bead cores that they sell? I'm kind of intersted in those.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-09-23, 1:34pm
one day at a time

I have an order of 4.5lbs of this glass coming, a sampler and the one that looks similar to amber rose. I still make small round beads so I'm not too worried, but I hope most are compatable with Vetrofond dark ivory and silver leaf stringer. (aka silvered ivory stringer or "SIS")

My other concern is mixing transparents with the opaques in the same line. I will test several combinations and report back in here.

Last edited by Lisi; 2009-09-23 at 1:37pm.
Old 2009-09-23, 1:48pm

I'm probably going to order some of the inserts next time, after this next shipment comes in. I'm really curious about the dichro, too.
Old 2009-09-23, 2:56pm

The next shipment is supposed to have the metallic black too.
Old 2009-09-24, 5:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I have an order of 4.5lbs of this glass coming, a sampler and the one that looks similar to amber rose. I still make small round beads so I'm not too worried, but I hope most are compatable with Vetrofond dark ivory and silver leaf stringer. (aka silvered ivory stringer or "SIS")

My other concern is mixing transparents with the opaques in the same line. I will test several combinations and report back in here.

Lisi, I have had no problems mixing transparents with opaques in the same line, or with Moretti.
Have fun, Jim
Old 2009-09-26, 1:35pm
one day at a time

Wow, gorgeous colors! But very shocky on the four colors I have tried so far. Bubbly on the transparent rose color.

I will make notes of each one in my sample pack, and the ones that don't shatter all over the lace and freak me out are the ones I will buy again. I'm very burn-shy right now because I burned a finger a few days back, and it's a bad one.

So far I love the transparent bright pink one, no bubbles, not so shattery. The butterscotch melts nice too!

Oh, has anyone tried annealing their rods to see if that makes any difference??
Old 2009-09-26, 1:57pm

Yes and no it doesn't. sorry to say
Old 2009-09-26, 3:52pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default New HOTHEAD TORCH Video

There's a new Hothead Torch video from Devardi that I just watched. I use one so I was glad to see it.

They show the pink being worked, which can be very shocky if you don't follow their easy instructions.

It's at:
http://www.youtube.com/mailbuggy#play/uploads

I just made a large batch of the bears for their website to use in showing their colors. It was a blast and their colors are great. The stiff glass is so great for creating things with.

The picture was shot in overcast daylight, with no adjustment.

Old 2009-09-26, 5:46pm

are you ^ sellling this stuff?
Old 2009-09-26, 6:41pm

Great job Fine Folly Glassworks. I’m sure the Devardi people appreciate your help and involvement. You’re very sweet to do that.

Lisi, I ran into the same problem when I first started with the glass. Try waving the rods in and out of the flame for a longer period. That solved it for me. I rarely run across a shocky one anymore. You just have to be careful to heat the rods slowly and make sure they are hot before adding them to the flame. It's a trick but it becomes habit after a while.
Old 2009-09-26, 7:50pm

I've found that some of the colors may have one rod shocky, the next not. My opaque orange, for example. First rod was stick shaped frit. Second one didn't shock at all.
Old 2009-09-27, 5:01am

another commercial? firemagic
I was told, "waving the glass in the flame just confuses it" lol

what does it say about the glass if it is so inconsistent ?
Old 2009-09-27, 5:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post

Several colors of hand-pulled Moretti glass are very inconsistent. We work with Devardi for numerous reasons. I like the stiffness of the glass. There are colors not made by other manufacturers. I can put up with a little inconsistency, at $5.99 a pound. That sure is a big difference than the $30.00 a pound we pay for hand-pulled Moretti rods. Many colors, or most, are not shocky. I just pre heat the rods in a rod warmer and have very few problems.
I, for one, appreciate the owners of Devardi Glass, for giving us an affordable glass to work with. They are upfront about all the properties of the glass.
Their service has been stellar. I am looking forward to the new colors and dicro they will be receiving soon.
Jim
Old 2009-09-27, 5:35am

okay but............ what does it say about a glass if it is so inconsistent
is that a question not worth asking?
Old 2009-09-27, 5:54am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Nope

Quote:
are you ^ sellling this stuff?
Nope, I have nothing to do with them as a business except as a customer.

I bought a box of shorts and made little critters with it and loved the stiffness of the glass. I sent them pictures and they liked the idea of using the bears to show some of the glass colors, and how tiny your details can get with their glass.

Old 2009-09-27, 9:05am

Quote:

Whoever told you that either had an agenda or didn't know what they were talking about. Slow heating is the best way to deal with shocky glass, and waving it in and out of the flame is the only way to slow heat on the torch. Start at the back and move in.

I cannot think of any glass manufacturer who makes a consistent glass, other than bullseye or the one that starts with a U. Clear, for example. Shouldn't be so freaking hard to get a usable clear, yet it is.

Coral, anyone?

All those moretti and vetro odds (and regular colors-opal yellow, edp) that are also frit shaped sticks, but they cost triple or more what this stuff does?

If you don't like the glass, fine. But some of us do. You aren't going to convince us not to like it. I like the price, I like the colors. I've had exploding rods of moretti and vetro glass that cost a lot more than devardi, so exploding rods isn't enough to convince me it's "bad" glass.
Old 2009-09-27, 9:05am

Quote:
okay but............ what does it say about a glass if it is so inconsistent
is that a question not worth asking?
You seem to be trying to say something. Why not just say it?
Old 2009-09-27, 9:10am

loren stump
he knows what he is talking about. Yes to enter the glass slowly no to the waving . lol

Can you read my mind?
Old 2009-09-27, 9:25am

No I cannot read your mind, but the multiple posts hinting at something are getting really irritating. Just say it.
Old 2009-09-27, 9:31am

IT
Old 2009-09-27, 9:35am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Like it - buy it; don't like it - move on to another brand and pay double and triple the price.

This is just a simple, inexpensive glass with it's own quirks to use it. A fabulous price, but you have to do some different things to use it than other more expensive glass.

I think the trade off is well worth it. Some of the meanness coming out of people who should just move on is very sad.
Old 2009-09-27, 9:39am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Annealing Info

THANK YOU for the annealing info and the bead sample pics! You do such nice work. It's inspirational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeanca View Post
Here are my experiments

The semi opaque white and pink went opaque because I annealed them at a too high temp. I have learnt since that devardi will keep its translucency (for the semi opaques) if annealed at a lower temp (490C). I was previously annealing at 500-510C and the lush semi opaques would go opaque.

The frogs are all effetre pea green. Only the base colours are devardi. I have been able to create an encased floral using a trans green moretti base, white moretti flowers with devardi trans pink on top, all fully encased in vetrofond clear with no cracks (but the bead turned out ugly so I won't post a pic of it )
Old 2009-09-27, 9:41am

Quote:

Quote:
loren stump
he knows what he is talking about. Yes to enter the glass slowly no to the waving . lol

Can you read my mind?
Fine for Loren. Many of us respect Loren GREATLY. However YOU are NOT LOREN. SO PLEASE DO NOT SPEAK FOR LOREN.

ANYONE WHO HAS USED A HOTHEAD KNOWS THAT WAVING THE GLASS, OR "BOUNCING IT" in the back of the flame, is often the *only* way to get a shocky rod, or one with a HOLE running through the length of the rod to heat up without simply exploding. This also works nicely with Devardi.

With an oxy/propane torch, the tip that Tink has offered that often works is turning the oxy off or nearly off & stuffing the rod directly into a pure propane flame, sooting it up completely near the face of the torch & then "cleaning it back off"--this works nicely for a *lot* of shocky rods as well. Unfortunately with a *hothead* this trick isn't possible, so *hothead* users are left with the "bounce & wave" method.

PLEASE HAVE THE COURTESY TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF & PLEASE DO NOT SPEAK FOR PERSONS OTHER THAN YOURSELF. You are becoming more than irritating. This thread is here to discuss the working properties of, & tips & techniques FOR Devardi Glass. BY & FOR PEOPLE WORKING WITH THE GLASS. If you have a question, we'd be happy to try and answer it, but your veiled implications that anyone having good things or positive experiences with the glass "must be working for Devardi" is insulting, as is the fact that you seem to be using a secondary, "sham" account to make your posts attacking this glass.

~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-09-27, 9:43am

Fine Folly--I wish you'd put a link to your site in your siggy line, or put some of those bears & mice & such on etsy, or artfire or something--when I have $$ again, I'd love to order one--they're so flippin' cute!!!

Old 2009-09-27, 9:50am
Ad astra per aspera

The meanness has been there since day one. I don't get it either. In all my years of working with glass (12-1/2, almost to the day) I've encountered problems with EVERY brand, EVERY COE, and more than once, twice or even three times. Everyone has different abilities, patience levels, preferences in colors. The malice I've seen directed towards Devardi makes no sense to me.

I love the stuff. I love a lot of other brands equally, despite their quirks. Some colors in some lines, I will never use again. Effetre pastel white, for my purposes, is virtually useless. I've switched, and won't go back. Is it 'bad' glass? No! It's just not right for what I need and expect.

Some colors in Devardi are redundant to Effetre or Vetro. Due to some of the consistency issues, I'll probably stick with the latter for general use. But Devardi has many colors that fill in spaces on my personal palette beautifully, and I'll be ordering those again and again, despite some of the production issues (which they seem willing and eager to improve).

Something that's been working for me...if a rod persists in being shocky after 2 tries (aka I've lost more than 2" of glass LOL) I put it aside and try another rod, if I have one. Once I have enough rods to make it worth my time and electricity, I do a slow ramp-up (100 degrees/hour) to 975, soak it for an hour, then ramp down at 100 degrees/hour to 500. This seems to help with some, but not all, of the bad boys. The ones that have obvious bubbles aren't going to be fixed by this extra annealing, so I just go slowly, and prewarm them on the rod shelf on my kiln. One of these days I'm going to get one of those Carlo Dona (or similar) rod warmers. And it won't just be for Devardi, either!

Old 2009-09-27, 9:52am

whoever told me that was loren stump who I do not and have never spoken for . lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
Whoever told you that either had an agenda or didn't know what they were talking about. Slow heating is the best way to deal with shocky glass, and waving it in and out of the flame is the only way to slow heat on the torch. Start at the back and move in.

I cannot think of any glass manufacturer who makes a consistent glass, other than bullseye or the one that starts with a U. Clear, for example. Shouldn't be so freaking hard to get a usable clear, yet it is.

Coral, anyone?

All those moretti and vetro odds (and regular colors-opal yellow, edp) that are also frit shaped sticks, but they cost triple or more what this stuff does?

If you don't like the glass, fine. But some of us do. You aren't going to convince us not to like it. I like the price, I like the colors. I've had exploding rods of moretti and vetro glass that cost a lot more than devardi, so exploding rods isn't enough to convince me it's "bad" glass.
Old 2009-09-27, 10:00am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you! I do have a site up now, and it's at:

www.finefolly.com

Please let me know if any of them are calling your name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Fine Folly--I wish you'd put a link to your site in your siggy line, or put some of those bears & mice & such on etsy, or artfire or something--when I have $$ again, I'd love to order one--they're so flippin' cute!!!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-02-12 at 10:00am.
Old 2009-09-27, 10:02am
Ad astra per aspera

Ohhh which brown is that???? I need that!

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi