AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2006-02-17, 10:24am

Default Propane Hose

Good morning- I'm terribly excited- my first torch and glass is on it's way to my door in a delivery truck right now- hopefully at my house by the time I get home from work.

I thought the hose for the propane tank would be an easy item and put it on my last minute list. My husband has called hardware stores, welding supply and industrial supply- all told him they cannot sell over 6 feet. Is there a magic phrase to say or place we can look? I did find this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013 and can oder that if needed- but it would really be nice to be able to torch this weekend (outside isn't going to be an option this weekend)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jessica
Old 2006-02-17, 10:29am
Fancy Mammal

I got mine at Arrow Springs (arrowsprings.com)...
Old 2006-02-17, 10:41am

I should add it's a hothead and I'll be working with hopefully about 20 feet of hose (or need to move my whole setup which is a built in)
Old 2006-02-17, 10:59am

Did you try camping supply stores? Ask for a propane extension hose. Although I think the longest I've seen is 12 feet. If you can't get a hose locally, you could start with the 1 lb bottles this weekend. They're available at Walmart.
Good Luck!
Old 2006-02-17, 11:15am
Gentleman of Leisure

Camping supply places have hoses up to 18 feet long.. (Wal-mart, Sears, Ace hardware)
Also check here:

http://www.mcmaster.com

Check item numbers . 7976A22, 7976A21, 7976A34 & 7976A35

Or....

7976A24

Also page number is 3199.

Yes to have complete hose you need parts A, B & C... IF you can not find complete hose locally...

By the way, I have never heard of 6 foot holes rule!

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-02-17 at 11:21am.
Old 2006-02-17, 12:35pm

Thanks all- I picked up some MAPP at lunch- so I should be good for the weekend regardless- now if the darn delivery guy would get to my house so i could stop hitting refresh on the UPS page

I didn't think of camping stores- I live down the street from the Bass Pro headquarters- so even if I can't find it anywhere else- i should find it there.

So- I get to torch this weekend
Old 2006-02-22, 11:34am

I went to the propane distributor for an extension. They usually have a shop next to where they fill your tanks, and should be certified for this type of thing. I had them build a rig with a tank adaptor, regulator, about 10 feet of copper tubing, and a connection for my big torch/casting furnace. The copper setup is solid and wont catch fire. Here is a shot of the regulator and tank connector.

The copper and connectors were really cheap, the regulator was the only expensive part.

Good luck!
Old 2006-02-22, 11:45am
Safety ALWAYS

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!

1) The regulator you have on their does not appear to be designed for use with propane, it looks like an air or hydraulic (liquid) regulator. Know that using a regulator that is not designed for propane is extremely hazardous.

2) If you are using a Hot Head torch, you DO NOT need a regulator at all. This torch is designed to use tank pressure. Using anything less than full tank pressure will result in poor flame conditions.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-02-22, 11:49am

Thanks all- I ended up with a very overpriced system from a local hardware store- but it got me on the torch. I do have a second question now- but I suspect it needs a new thread- off to start one.
Old 2006-02-22, 12:47pm

Glad you got going.

About the regulator - Easy there, it is a high pressure regulator for propane or natural gas. If you would like to know more about it, I could dig out the model number. Or you could speak to your propane distributor, like I did.

And yeah, that regulator would be serious overkill for use with a hothead torch. The copper setup would would look nice though.

Have fun