Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-08-24, 8:49am
love me love my llamas

Default what size of oxygen tank do I need

Hi,
I am wanting to get a cricket or alpha torch, I want to use tank oxygen, what size would you all recommend using?
Thanks so much for your help!
Maggie
Old 2013-08-24, 9:03am

There are many size tanks available. The most common in this industry is the "K" ~250cf and "T" ~300cf. Check around for the best prices on rental and fills. Also start looking to buy your own tanks so you will not need to rent them any longer. Craigslist is the best place to start, but there are things you need to know before you buy tanks.
Many people use multiple tanks so that you go to exchange tanks less often. Homefill is also an option for you.
It will all depend on how your use the torch. A few hours on the weekend or 6 hours everyday of the week....
Both of those torches are very good. I have owed the bigger brother to both. Do some research here to find more opinions. What is it you plan to make?

Last edited by Raimond; 2013-08-24 at 9:55am.
Old 2013-08-24, 9:17am
love me love my llamas

I am not going to do boro yet. Mostly going to use soft glass for beads. I torch about everyday for a hour or so, depending on weather. I torch on my covered porch. Thanks for you information. My husband it the guy I will have to check out tanks. I can buy tanks at the local farm store, and we have about 6 places I can get tank oxygen. I wanted some information so we didn't look like we didn't know what we were doing and then have them sell us something way to big or to small
Old 2013-08-24, 9:17am
I fart diamonds

No smaller than 80cf but get the biggest tank you can handle. There's no such thing as too much oxygen but too small and you'll run out quickly. Definitely keep an eye on Craigslist! I got a 125cf tank for $50 and a K for $75.

I have owned & used both torches and they're both awesome but the Alpha is hotter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-08-24, 1:25pm
Alaska Boro

Raimond:

Can I ask you to please use the default font with black type for your messages so that you fit in with the rest of the crowd? Find that color and strange fonts make messages hard to read. Because you can change fonts and color does not necessary mean you should!
Old 2013-08-24, 1:37pm
Alaska Boro

Keep in mind that some firms will not fill or exchange tanks where direct ownership is in question. i.e. too many stolen tanks!

The other issue is when was the tank last static tested. If out of date some firms require testing prior to refilling at an extra cost. Others will just about take anything.

Some will refill an owner owned tank that is currently certified, but may take some time for that to happen. No in and out type of scenario.

It would be best to check with oxygen suppliers to see what their policies are. Of course, purchasing a "new" tank from the supply firm is an option but costly.
Old 2013-08-24, 5:44pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Raimond:

Can I ask you to please use the default font with black type for your messages so that you fit in with the rest of the crowd? Find that color and strange fonts make messages hard to read. Because you can change fonts and color does not necessary mean you should!
I use the larger blue or other colors all of the time also, I like it, its easier for me to read and I love the colors especially when I am replying to quotes.
Old 2013-08-24, 6:57pm

^^ This ^^

The thing about buying used tanks is if can you get it filled/exchanged. A clean neck is a must. This means that the area just below the valve does not have a company name on it. If it does the tank may be seized and returned to the owning company when you try and fill it. You will be left with nothing to show for the amount you paid. The second thing is the Hydrostatic Inspection date(Is it in Hydro?) Tanks need to be inspected every 5 years. However, if they meet certain standards it can be 10 years, indicated by a symbol (not including a +) after the inspection date. An inspection runs about $35 so if it is out of date just figure in the inspection amount when negotiating the price. The first time you take it to be filled the company will charge you for the Hydro.

If you are going to go with a homefill system then the tank will remain in your shop and these things are not as important but still are bargaining tools.

Last edited by Raimond; 2013-08-24 at 7:00pm. Reason: ^^ This ^^
Old 2013-09-01, 7:55am

I "own" my tanks, but it's actually something like a 99 year lease. When empty, the gas place just does an exchange and I never have to worry about hydrostatic testing. There are good reasons to get your tanks from your local distributor.

Sane people should use a K tank, but I have two smaller ones instead. Easier to move and I've always got a full spare on hand. Costs more.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2013-09-01, 8:40am

My local welding shop wanted ~$250 to buy a K tank. I got my two T tanks for ~$70 each, one was in Hydro and one wasn't. Not a concern as I am using a Homefill system. As Conrad stated, moving K and T tanks is something to consider, they are heavy. Smaller tanks are much easier to move around but cost a bit more in the end. How nice it would be if oxygen lasted as long as propane...
Each person has a different situation and must make their choice based on that. Having examples from many other situations allows you to make an informed decision on what is best for you. Good luck! Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by Raimond; 2013-09-01 at 8:45am.