No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-09, 11:58am
Sorry for party rockin'

Default Etching large hollows

I took a class with Barbara Becker Simon recently and have been on a kick of making these big 'ol hollow beads.

I have a few that I want to etch . . . but . . . I'm wondering how could I plug up the holes so that the entire hollow bead doesn't get filled with etching solution? I don't think it would do any harm, but I prefer to just etch the outside and not have to worry with how I'll get the inside thoroughly cleaned out/rinsed out if it's been full of etching liquid.

I realize now I could have left the bead on the mandrel and etched it that way, but I have several loose beads that I'd like to etch.

So whacha think? What could I use to temporarily plug the holes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-09, 12:08pm

teeny rubber stoppers? Twee little corks? the butt ends of birthday candles?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-11-09, 12:09pm
geekitude on two wheels

Some kind of clay maybe? Bluetac? the crayola product model magic might be good, it kind of squishes and expands again once dry so might provide a better seal. Or maybe those foam earplugs that you squish & they expand cut up.
Old 2010-11-09, 12:18pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I would use corks or something like silly putty. Otherwise, you're good to go with the etch on the mandrel idea for the future beads.

Old 2010-11-09, 12:22pm
I speak Murrini!

I vote for the corks myself. Earplugs or similar material might get all melty and gooey - eeewwww!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-11-09, 12:45pm

I would use clear finger nail polish, and then swab with remover, or zip with my dremel.
Old 2010-11-09, 1:32pm

I usually put my hollows on a small shashlik spit. This closes the holes.

Kathrin
Old 2010-11-09, 1:54pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Great ideas everyone, thank you!!!

Where would I get tiny corks? They're mostly on 3/32 mandrels, but some were made on 1/8" mandrels.

The nailpolish idea is interesting . . . you'd have to figure out a way to 'paint' over the hole and fully seal it. Hmmmm.

Kathrin, what is a shashlik spit? A metal rod of some sort? That sounds interesting too.

Old 2010-11-09, 2:04pm

Send an email to Barbara Becker Simon and ask. . .she should offer assistance since you just took a class from her. Will send PM to you.

Yvonne
Old 2010-11-09, 2:52pm
Alaska Boro

Has anyone tried wax? One could use candle/cannin/paraffin wax which is rather hard or the softer bees wax. Then just heat gently to remove.
Old 2010-11-09, 3:12pm
geekitude on two wheels

the clear nail polish idea is interesting - y not stick the mandrel back in and use nail polish to 'glue' it back on? dip etch & then use qtip w/ nail polish remover to clean up...
Old 2010-11-09, 3:20pm

Oh hello! My brain was off. I did not read the hollows part. I think nail polish would be a PITA on hollows.
Old 2010-11-09, 4:22pm
birdergirl ~o~

fimo clay shaped as stoppers?

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2010-11-09, 5:12pm
da General

How about pipe cleaners, Ginny, for the ones with 3/32" holes? I etch my big hollows made on 1/8" mandrel without plugging the holes - the solution drains out easily by tilting the hole with gloved fingers.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-11-09, 6:22pm

what about bamboo skewers? Seems they might be about the right size. Just off the top of my head.

Old 2010-11-09, 6:23pm
Wandering Spirit

Ditto on Hayley's suggestion- I usually just tilt the bead and gently agitate it to let the solution out. Since I usually have baking soda inside the bead after neutralizing the etching solution, a waterpik gets the insides cleaned lickety-split. I go through A LOT of baking soda

Old 2010-11-09, 6:29pm
NW Oregon

I thought you had to put the etching solution into a plastic container because the acid would eat metal. If that's true, does metal contaminate the solution when you put it into the solution while you etch the bead? Or do you throw away your solution after etching? I reuse mine.

Or am I completely wrong about this? It was just an assumption on my part but now I'm curious.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2010-11-09, 6:51pm
Never give up

I hang my on copper wire. If any gets in it isn't much.
Old 2010-11-09, 6:52pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Jennifer, I've used the same mandrels over and over in my solution and it hasn't harmed them at all. The solution naturally gets darker over time so I just toss it when it gets black... so I only switch out about once every 6 months - and i etch a lot!

Old 2010-11-10, 7:30am

Oh Ginny, sorry, the shashlik spit is a wooden pick, like a tooth pik just bigger.
You usually use it to make shish kebab? Don't know if this is just a european thing.
It's round about 2mm diameter and it is perfect to put on beads for etching. Looks like a bead on the mandrel .

Kathrin
Old 2010-11-10, 11:06am

Default brush on cream

I used to have a jar of etching cream, it was real thick, and I could just brush it on the surface of a bead, never dunking it in, you could see if that's still available.
Old 2010-11-10, 11:16am

Pipe cleaners work great with the paste. Not sure with the liquid...never trusted myself with that stuff.
Old 2010-11-10, 11:35am
Lampworkaholic!

Dip a mandrel and slide the bead back on. When dry, gently remove any bead release around the hole with a damp q-tip or the like. (This is theory only, I have not tried it.)

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-11-10, 8:05pm

you could use the cream etch.

Old 2010-11-10, 10:58pm
Corgi Cult Member

Insert half of a round toothpick in one side of the hole leaving a bit sticking out as a foot so the bead doesn't rest on the bottom of the bottle. Insert a whole toothpick in the other end which should give a decent sized handle. Then use a little bit of fabric paint where the toothpick meets the bead to seal off the hole completely. Allow to dry and etch. The fabric paint works as a great resist in etch, so it should work for this purpose too.

Old 2010-11-11, 7:06am
Sorry for party rockin'

Thanks again everyone!!
We actually have toothpicks, I think I'll try that