AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-02-23, 7:07pm
In search of her path....

Default Oxy Questions!

Ok since I got the cheetah! (yea love it btw) I need more oxy power than I now it works on what I have but not to full capacity. Since it will be QUITE a while until I can afford a generator / concentrator with enough "oompah" Im wondering about tanked oxy.

How long with a 250 cubic foot tank last me? on a cheetah running 10 propane 15-20 psi oxy? how many hours do you think I can get out of that?

Is $14 a fill $100 deposit and $4.50 rental a good price?

Id have to go pick it up and stuff my self every time I need it and I know its heavy bf said he and his dad could help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2006-02-23, 7:30pm

Hi Karin!
That is a very good price for your tank rental, deposit, and fill. It's less than what I pay here for a fill ($19), and I got a discount rate.
I don't know for sure what you can get for torch time with the Cheetah, but I have found that the 250 size tank lasts me about 20 hours on my Barracuda, using mostly the inner flame to melt the boro. I'm using a pretty big flame.
If you get a dolly to wheel the tank around, it's not that bad to go and get refills. We do that in our minivan.
You'll love using a tank!
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-02-23, 7:36pm

cool anita! 20 hrs I can deal with that...I think
anyone else any more imput?

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-02-23, 9:55pm
BHB's- big honkin' beads!

Hey Karin,
Everything you talked about looks pretty good. The oxy company is dealing with you fairly. I think you should get around 20-24 hours off of a 250, depending on how hard you're running it. Yes, that oxy con is not going to do that Cheetah any justice! I first worked on my Cheetah while teaching a series of classes up in Alberta, Canada (dang, was that fun!) and really like it, more so than my Lynx. It's a toss up between my Carlisle Mini and the GTT Cheetah. Every day use I run the Carlisle but if it's a honkin "BOB" then it's the Cheetah. I've always been on bottled oxy... got to be able to crank up the torch when I need to, especially with Boro.
Cheers, Larry

Website is back up!!! Yipee!!!
Old 2006-02-23, 10:37pm
Kinder Gentler Sociopath

Go for a liquid Dewar, one of those will last you 2 months, as long as you watch the pressure builder, but if you are running a tiny heata, I don't see why you need a pressure builder, unless its oudise in 0 degree weather, and you run like a good 8 hours..plus they only cost like $60 to refill... It was 85 degrees outside when i took this pic:

Last edited by Jason; 2006-02-23 at 10:48pm. Reason: fix image - imageshack wasn't allowing remote linking
Old 2006-02-24, 3:46am

Wow your fills are cheap! I have a 150 tank and I pay 29$ for a fill which is every week. I torch about 4 hours a night usually. I use a minor so 28 hours on a 150 tank using a minor for 30$ a week. I am looking for an ox con too- it will sooo pay for itself!

Old 2006-02-24, 4:39am
boro color bender

I pay $24 for a 330. I have 3 of their tanks and one of mine, but the guys don't have me on the books... so I pay zero rent. it really helps to take care of your local guys. I bring stuff in for them to give to their wives... it has paid for itself many many times over.

You may not need tanked oxy. I heard from a source very close to GTT yesterday that they can run just fine on concentrators. You may want to email or call and ask which one they suggest for that torch. Once you figure in $1 an hour (minimum) to run tanked oxy, plus the time it takes to go get it, it doesn't take long to pay for a concentrator if the info I was given is really true.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2006-02-24 at 5:51am.
Old 2006-02-24, 4:56am
Kinder Gentler Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowesky
Wow your fills are cheap! I have a 150 tank and I pay 29$ for a fill which is every week. I torch about 4 hours a night usually. I use a minor so 28 hours on a 150 tank using a minor for 30$ a week. I am looking for an ox con too- it will sooo pay for itself!

We run well upto 5 stations at a time, a dewar lasts 2 weeks to a month, accually I think it went up to $69 refills, plus NC taxes, but I do have to pay a rental fee, of $100 a year, on the dewars (mantiance fee? ) so its not too bad
Old 2006-02-24, 5:40am

Karin,

That is a very good price. We pay $12 for a fill down here and I think when we were renting it was about $5.50 a month. We finally bought the three tanks for the studio and I personally switched to a generator. Pam is purchasing a new generator that will work the Cheeta but I don't know when it will be delivered.

Also, I get about 25 hours on a tank using the Cheeta and about 30+ using the Lynx.

Barb
Old 2006-02-24, 6:23am

I was thinking about a liquid tank but they want $400 something up front for tank rental at most places Ive asked that actually have them and then fills here are over $100 I will ask the company that gave me such a good price on my compressed about the liquid but the other issue is the town I live in wont let them deliver in town where I live because their trucks block too much of the road they have been ticketed and harrassed so now you pretty much only can run and get whatever it is you can haul yourself if you live in town. I will call and ask him agaoin about it though.

As for the concentrators I am thinking about that too but I dont have the money to get one that will run the cheetah full force right now thats about a $900 drop of cash and we just dont have that. I could swing probally $126 for the tank if I can find a oxy regulator and stuff locally for not to bad. I want to save for the oxy concentrator thinger that does 20psi but again thats $900 and gonna be a while

I do love the crap outta the cheetah though it just fits what I do more

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-02-24, 6:43am
ManBearPig

Well, true, liquid costs more up front. But, it pays for itself the first tankfull.

Old 2006-02-24, 6:49am

Karin,
Depending on who you are pricing with you might ask about the hazardous material fee and also the tank maintanence fee. I get both tacked on now and I own my tank. So it might be something they figure is covered in the rent. But I thought it was worth mentioning since you may be looking at one of the same suppliers as I use. (The only one I know of between the two of us. Not sure if they are in your town or not.)

Nancy
Old 2006-02-24, 6:55am

The biggest issue we have with liquid is actually getting it to our property. They cant deliver it in our town with their usual delivery vehicle because its a semi(city tickets and harrasses them any time they try). and the big liquid tanks are definaltely NOT something we can manhandle ourselves

Prints for sale in my
!

Last edited by IF-Designs; 2006-02-24 at 6:57am.
Old 2006-02-24, 9:05am
She's Back & Burnin'

My yearly rental per tank is $50. Then it costs me $22 per tank for the refills. And yes, I am damn tired of the cost. It seems like every few months the price creeps up.

Sara (who is saving up for that generator)

Old 2006-02-24, 9:43am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteburner
My yearly rental per tank is $50. Then it costs me $22 per tank for the refills. And yes, I am damn tired of the cost. It seems like every few months the price creeps up.

Sara (who is saving up for that generator)
Must be nice. Rental on our liquid tanks is $2 per day....

Old 2006-02-24, 9:48am

Yeah i went over my quotes again and the liiquid quote I go was this

1 year lease $260 up front
$105 per fill
$1.50 a day rental $45 a month rental.

for a total upfront cost of at least $410

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-02-24, 12:00pm

From a Cheetah user, my 250 lasts around 25 hours of torching, perhaps a little more. I have the pressure set at 18. I think another problem you run into with liquid is that they vent if you don't use them and you can lose a significant amount, that and if you get your hand in it it will freeze your hand and it will break off - gross!! Contrary to what Barb said, we pay less than $10 for a refill of our tanks (Dave been cheating you again, Barb?) Buying your tank is a good thing if you are going to continue using the tank for years, but if you are planning on buying a generator that will run the Cheetah, I would rent. Just a hint regarding the price of refills, it's amazing how you can dicker with them to lower your cost. It can't hurt to try. I was buying my oxy 25 miles away and one $1.50 toll each way. I found a place locally, but they wanted almost twice what my oxy place was asking. So I told them no thanks, they were crazy, for a 30 minute drive I could save a bunch of money and they decided they would rather have my business, so they reduced their price to the same as I was paying, but they added in the cost of the toll. Fine with me! Then sometime later Barb's husband went and got us the deal of a lifetime, set up a commercial account and that reduced the cost of refills considerably.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog