No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-03-20, 7:02pm
Hakuna Matata

Default My Peepers are getting dried out

Newbe here was renting studio time so when I’m on a minor torch for about 2 hours my eyes get blurry. I have read almost everything in the safety thread and it seems that the heat can cause your eyes to dry out. When around the heat of the torch I feel like I’ve been in the sun and get a little reddish. (Sensitive to the sun always wear sunscreen) My eyes are fine after using wet compresses.

Somewhere around page 15 it is suggested to use eye drops and to blink more but to not use Visene or Mureen (sp?) sooo what type of drops would be best?

All the safety info helped me to make the decision to start off by putting a HH on a screened in porch till I can get the spare room emptied out and set up for indoor torching.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-21, 6:24am
What, Me Worry?

And other things than 'heat and light' can affect your eyes and face, such as CO2, CO and NOx in the combustion gas plume. The NOx, which hangs on the edge of the gas plume, can react with facial moisture and form nitric acid.

The studio should provide adequate ventilation that moves the gases away from you, and out of your breathing zone, and thus prevent facial contact. Your working posture should be such that your face is kept back out of the invisible gas plume extraction path of the ventilation system.

Me

Last edited by bhhco; 2007-03-21 at 6:32am.
Old 2007-03-21, 6:32am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Use rewetting drops to keep your eyes moisturized. They will be in the same area as the Visine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-03-21, 6:40am
Safety ALWAYS

Pure saline eye drops is what you want.

Also, make up a sign, big black block letters on a white background with the word BLINK. Put it at the back of your workstation, but in your visual field. You will "see" it only for a short time, then it will become a subconcious reminder to blink.

The problem in my estimation is that you aren't blinking enough.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-03-21, 8:39am
Looking for my waistline

I suffer from dry eye syndrome. The best stuff on the market in my opinion is Thera Tears. I've tried several brands recommended by various eye doctors, but the Thera Tears kicks butt! It's expensive compared to Visine, but when it comes to my eyes, I only get one pair to play with for my entire life. Gotta take care of those babies!!
Old 2007-03-21, 6:00pm
Hakuna Matata

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I asked the pharmacist for pure saline eye drops and so far so good with southing eyes.

I set a Blink sign up just to the side of my computer and another will go up once I get the torch set up.

Old 2007-03-22, 1:50am

Exactly what Mike said - I am a watchmaker, and it is really common for this to happen to apprentices who get so focussed on the job in hand they forget to blink.

I would expand slightly on Mike's tip and suggest that you have it a good distance back so that your eyes have to really refocus.

One tip our trade instructor gave was to set a timer to go off every 20 minutes, and then spend a solid two minutes looking at something in the distance. this was to avoid your eye muscles sitting in a fixed position for too long..
Old 2007-03-22, 8:27am
Hakuna Matata

Ok Ok I'm really getting it now. Thanks for all the info.

I ran accost this and I think it proves all the theories.

Fun Eye Test

Here's a little fun optical illusion for all of you today:

If your eyes follow the movement of the rotating pink dot,

the dots will remain only one color, pink.

However if you stare at the black "+" in the center,
the moving dot turns to green.

Now, concentrate on the black "+" in the center of the picture.
Af ter a short period, all the pink dots will slowly disappear,
and you will only see only a single green dot rotating.

It's amazing how our brain works. There really is no green dot,
and the pink ones really don't disappear.

This should be proof enough, we don't always see what we think we see!

Old 2007-03-23, 4:40pm
yukue fumei

wow--that is wild!!!

nagi

Old 2007-03-23, 8:23pm
What, Me Worry?

NOW I've seen it all... more or less

Me
Old 2007-03-23, 8:32pm
Looking for my waistline

Wanna know how it works? I know....
Old 2007-03-26, 9:11am
Hakuna Matata

yes
How does it work?

Old 2007-03-26, 12:33pm
Looking for my waistline

The optical illusion works like this. Your eyes register light and color through receptors called rods and cones. The cones pick up red, green and blue transmitted light, and the cones pick up the grey shades. It transmits the message to your brain using chemical signals. The rod and cone chemical receptors can temporarily deplete the chemical needed to send the signals. When you stare at a fixed spot, you use the same rods and cones to pick up the light and end up depleting the chemicals. The second you move your eye muscles, a different set of rods and cones take over the reception process. Since those haven't been depleted of the biological chemical needed to send the signal to your brain, you automatically see the pink spots again.

The rods that pick up the color red (pink being a variation) is the easiest to deplete because the color red is picked up in the very center of your eye. The receptor cells that pick that color up densely populate the center of your retina (I think that's where they connect to pick up the light...), and become fewer and fewer as you move from the center of the optic nerve endings.

You continue to see the green because you have more green receptors mixed in with the red ones, plus they become more dense as you move away from the center of your eyes. Your eyes also jiggle slightly without you even realizing it, as a natural defense against depleting the chemicals in your optic light receptor cells. It helps the green rods more than the red ones because they're further out in your peripheral vision and the wiggling changes the receptors used to pick up the light (the transmitted color you see on the screen).

Here's another bit of trivia for you. Even further out in your peripheral vision is the receptors that pick up the color blue. That's why the police department switched from red flashing lights to blue flashing lights. Because there are no red or green color receptors at the very edge of your peripheral vision, but only blue ones, you will see something blue coming at you from the side before you see any other color.
Old 2007-03-26, 3:48pm
Hakuna Matata

Wow who would of thought!

Thanks for the in-depth info I appreciate it. I sort of knew about the police lights but understood it was due to being able to see blue farther. Well it sort of is seeing it farther but not in the far out distance in front of you.
Hum???

Old 2007-03-26, 4:31pm
Looking for my waistline

The cone receptors that pick up the color blue are not found in the very center part of your eye, just the red and green ones. You have a very narrow point of sharp focus where most of the red cones are located. The blue cones that pick up the color blue begin to get mixed into the receptor cells away from the center of the retina. Here's a couple of links that do a better job of explaining how it all works. There's even a cool optical illustion on the first link where you can find a small blind spot in your eye where the optic nerve attaches to your retina.

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/retina.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...n/rodcone.html
Old 2007-04-07, 4:48pm
Formerly known as LT

I have sensitive eyes and it took a while for me to figure out what works, so it might take some time for you as well. I changed my eyeware to aur 92's and then AGW300's For me the 300's work the best with very little problems as compaired to the didys. The other thing is not all eye drops are created equal and what works for others might not work for you. If you don't ware contacts a moisture gel will probably work better than plain saline but it really depends on how dry they get and your overall need. Call an eye care place and ask for spacific brands to try that work for your eye type. If you have allergies then you would probably need something different than if you don't that sort of thing. As far as the dry skin or sunburn effect on the face SPF 30 or a face shield.

Old 2007-04-07, 7:10pm
Tinder Bloom Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
The optical illusion works like this. Your eyes register light and color through receptors called rods and cones. The cones pick up red, green and blue transmitted light, and the cones pick up the grey shades. It transmits the message to your brain using chemical signals. The rod and cone chemical receptors can temporarily deplete the chemical needed to send the signals. When you stare at a fixed spot, you use the same rods and cones to pick up the light and end up depleting the chemicals. The second you move your eye muscles, a different set of rods and cones take over the reception process. Since those haven't been depleted of the biological chemical needed to send the signal to your brain, you automatically see the pink spots again.

The rods that pick up the color red (pink being a variation) is the easiest to deplete because the color red is picked up in the very center of your eye. The receptor cells that pick that color up densely populate the center of your retina (I think that's where they connect to pick up the light...), and become fewer and fewer as you move from the center of the optic nerve endings.

You continue to see the green because you have more green receptors mixed in with the red ones, plus they become more dense as you move away from the center of your eyes. Your eyes also jiggle slightly without you even realizing it, as a natural defense against depleting the chemicals in your optic light receptor cells. It helps the green rods more than the red ones because they're further out in your peripheral vision and the wiggling changes the receptors used to pick up the light (the transmitted color you see on the screen).

Here's another bit of trivia for you. Even further out in your peripheral vision is the receptors that pick up the color blue. That's why the police department switched from red flashing lights to blue flashing lights. Because there are no red or green color receptors at the very edge of your peripheral vision, but only blue ones, you will see something blue coming at you from the side before you see any other color.

Your like... smart n stuff...

Old 2007-04-09, 9:52am

Pretty cool! and nice explanation Chuckie!
Old 2008-12-25, 7:50am
StudioMarcy

Wow, this was interesting.
thanks for showing us. And I'll remember to blink more often too.
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy