Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-05-17, 11:15am
Gay rights R human rights

Default Garaging temps

Hi all,
A general qestion. Is 925 too low a garaging temp for boro?

I would then bump up to 1050 or so for annealing but is the 925 too low a starting point?

Thanks in advance
Leslie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2010-05-17, 11:51am
Glassy Broad :-)

Good Question Leslie!
I garage at 1050, but would be interesting to know if one could go lower, although you would have to go back up to anneal wouldn't you?
hmmm
Nita

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-05-17, 11:59am
I'm a lilac!

I think the strain point is 850, so 925 is warm enough if it stayed at 925... I would be concerned though, with the kiln opening and closing, about it only being 75 degrees above the strain point.

Old 2010-05-17, 12:11pm
ManBearPig

925 would be fine. Even with the temp dropping when opening the door, it's fine.

I've taken pieces out and let them cool almost to room temp and put them back in the kiln with no problem (I wouldn't recommend doing that of course...).

Old 2010-05-17, 1:02pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I garage at 1050. I don't see any benefit
to dropping the temp lower - is there a reason
you want to do this?

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-05-17, 1:23pm
Alaska Boro

The strain point for Corning 7740 is about 950 F (page 211 - Contemporary Lampworking). For NorthStar Glass at 960 F.
Old 2010-05-17, 1:53pm
Harold Williams Cooney

I hold at 945 for the above reason ^^^^^^^

"under the strain - no pain"

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-05-17, 2:00pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

I suggest 1050. We use Mr. Smileys annealing schedule, he seems to have the best results with the striking colors.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2010-05-17, 2:15pm
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

i like 1050

Old 2010-05-17, 2:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsGlass View Post
I suggest 1050. We use Mr. Smileys annealing schedule, he seems to have the best results with the striking colors.
Pam the reason I'm asking is the set point for my fantastic (cannot say enough good things about it) kiln is 925. I was going to use program 1 for soft glass and program 2 for boro but didnt want to have to reset a set point each time. Make sense? Will give you a call.

Leslie

Old 2010-05-17, 5:44pm
Harold Williams Cooney

There are many, many materials in boro that will crack, grow haze or become muddy if held at 1050 all day; I used 1050 for years. Now I know better.

Old 2010-05-17, 6:48pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
There are many, many materials in boro that will crack, grow haze or become muddy if held at 1050 all day; I used 1050 for years. Now I know better.
SO tell us, oh great guru of boro deliciousness...master of insanely beautiful beads
and pendants...what is your schedule ???

Old 2010-05-17, 7:18pm

I garage at 1050, but the floor of my kiln is actually about 1025-1030.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-05-17, 7:59pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
...what is your schedule ???
My annealing schedule . . . . ah, well, this is how I set up my controller:

"Good morning, Glass Alchemy."

"Dude, Tomas, man can you help me with my controller thing? You know, all the numbers and the pressing of buttons and stuff."

And poof!!

My controller is set up to just anneal the glass; any striking, I do that myself. Most of my work will be in and out of the kiln several times and so keeping total time at temps that will allow silvers to move around as low as possible is my goal; I know this setup is not for everyone, but it works the best for me.

Old 2010-05-18, 3:34am
Boro Bum

See that's the problem with old people they talk and talk but don't really say anything

HEHEHEHEHEHE Just messing Had to jump in there, its the bad person in me lol

Sorry again Harold its early in the morning
AcidFly
Old 2010-05-18, 5:00pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFly View Post
See that's the problem with old people they talk and talk but don't really say anything

HEHEHEHEHEHE Just messing Had to jump in there, its the bad person in me lol

Sorry again Harold its early in the morning
AcidFly
old? Dude, I'm 34.

What more can I tell you? I have the simplest, most neutral annealing schedule possible. As I recall, what I wanted was for it to go to 1075 and hold sufficient for heat to penetrate and balance at a thickness of 8mm and then begin to lower itself.

I want nothing to strike, I want no silvers to move or crystals of any kind to grow.

Old 2010-05-19, 11:13am
Pyromaniac

I garage at 1050 too.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-05-19, 11:15am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
old? Dude, I'm 34.
Wow! Ancient! Should I be using bigger type for you?
Is this better?

Old 2010-05-19, 12:30pm

Well, Harold may not need the bigger type, but my old eyes appreciated it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Wow! Ancient! Should I be using bigger type for you?
Is this better?

Old 2010-05-19, 1:24pm

garaging at 1050 can only help, whereas cooler temps could be dangerous.

i usually just stay at 1000-1050

i ramp to 1080 for hard striking and most annealing

Old 2010-05-19, 1:53pm
Alaska Boro

For those that would like to get a good understanding of annealing take a look at chapter 8 in Volume I of "Contemporary Lampworking" 3rd edition. Pages 209 through 225.
Old 2010-05-20, 1:01pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Yo ABR Dave - what is hard striking? You hard strike at 1080. Everything I read (except your post above) says to strike silver colors somewhere between 1100 - 1150. So, what is hard striking? at 1080?

Old 2010-05-20, 1:31pm

not really an official term. just what i ramp to, and hold at for a couple hours when trying to strike. sometimes, 11-1150 goes too far. sometimes i like to maintain some transparency with striking colors. i get what i want from a longer soak at a lower temp, than a fast ramp to a really high temp.

hope that explained something

Old 2010-05-21, 8:57am
BaZinga!

wow, I literally came here today getting ready to do a search for this exact topic! Thanks Leslie!

So, since I'm guessing you also have a Glass Hive kiln how are you setting your garage sched up? Can you set the kiln to simply hold at specific temp without having to program it into a one of the 2 programs?

Genius Prayer: God, grant me the courage to change the things I cannot accept; serenity to accept the things I've changed, and the wisdom to know I'm different. -S. Pastis
Nortel Mid-Range, tanked O2 and propane, GlassHive kiln
Old 2010-05-21, 11:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare_Ale View Post
wow, I literally came here today getting ready to do a search for this exact topic! Thanks Leslie!

So, since I'm guessing you also have a Glass Hive kiln how are you setting your garage sched up? Can you set the kiln to simply hold at specific temp without having to program it into a one of the 2 programs?
Its got a set point so as soon as i turn it on it automatically goes to 925. when i am done, i set it to run one of the two programs depending on soft or hard glass. very cool set up and very different from what I am used to.

Old 2010-05-26, 4:14am
Mandrel Slayer

I'm with Harold. I find my colors are better with a lower garage temp. I use 955.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2010-05-26, 7:23am
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithfirebeads View Post
I'm with Harold. I find my colors are better with a lower garage temp. I use 955.

Bonny
thank god, getting a little lonely on my side of the boat.

Old 2010-05-26, 9:24am
boro color bender

i garage at 1075 all day... ramp to 1085 or so for an hour at the end and then 60 per to strain... it all depends on what colors you use. H and i have a totally different palate... even if some of our colors overlap, we are after different end results. I use a schedule close to Harold's if I want to keep things "unstruck"... find what works for your work and go with it... might take a while to dial it in, but something will eventually do what you need it to.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-05-26, 10:11am
tweetysweetie

I garage at 1050 and do a bump up to 1125 and ramp down (actually all this depends on what I'm making, what colors etc) However, I read somewhere that Henry (Glass Alchemy) has made the recommendation of garaging at a lower temperature though...it was in the 900 something range..forget the exact figure.

I've been doing hotglass for close to 13yrs and by far have found boro to be the most challenging & fascinating glass to control time & time again...flame atmosphere, area, colors.....ugh..so much to learn. I admire & envy the folks who have tamed its' sometimes wild personality on a consistant basis. Annealing schedules and the why's are wide & varied.

So many boro artists I admire, I won't try to name them all for fear of leaving someone out of the mix...but you guys are blessed to have Brent, HWC for a couple of "in the know" advisors right here in this very forum. I have Brents first dvd. It is one of the most well produced & informational boro visuals out there..I have many on my shelf, but to date..his is my favorite.

Last edited by FiredDesires; 2010-05-26 at 10:14am. Reason: mispelled word
Old 2010-05-26, 7:38pm

Not all kilns nor locations in the kiln are equal. I own 3 kilns and if set to same temp would produce different results. Not disagreeing with any of the early posts, just recommending you try, test , and record results. One of the reasons I like owning my own kilns is reproducable results.

Peace and good luck to ya.