Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-08, 3:01am

Default Best way to clean out a bead

I've made a pile of beads by now, ok more than 50 but under100. Needless to say I have to get busy cleaning out the bead release. I am probably going to invest in a nice battery powered or plug in one, whatever, but right now it's all by hand. I have a just a regular one with the different screw on diamond bit tips.

So how is the best way to go about doing this? I tried a handful and I noticed that i got little chips/nicks on the edges which is very bad. Is there a video somewhere of how to do this without messing up your pretty beadies?

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Old 2010-07-08, 3:30am
BeadsonCypress

I use a variable speed Dremel with diamond bit (long thin one). I do mine wet. I think IMO the answer to the nicks and chips, unfortunately is "puckered" ends which means PPP!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-07-08, 6:45am

I string mine loosely on a piece of rough nylon fishline and give them a ride in my rock tumbler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-08, 7:06am
Glass-aholic

the beadreamer!!! YES! (on a cordless dremel is the safest ...not that I have one eventually i'll have some $ around...) it is SO fast compared to any other diamond bit, and lasts 1000 times longer!

let me find the link ...brb

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-07-08, 7:09am
Glass-aholic

OK here.. you have NO IDEA how much $$$ and time you will save in the long run. this tool has outlasted about 20 other diamond bits, and more! it is one run tool too, in and out that is it! watch the video!! (i think its still on his site, maybe)

http://www.artintheround.com/categor...ning-Tools.htm

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-07-08, 7:42am

If you soak the beads in some vinegar the release comes out much faster.
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2010-07-08, 9:34am
Hobby Junkie

I use Fusion release. I just rub the beads up and down on the mandrel (under running water) a couple of times and it almost totally washes out. I LOVE it!!!! It's so much less work.

Old 2010-07-08, 10:50am
Glass-aholic

do not soak silver glass beads in vinegar or the silver plum or copper colors.. they can pit and turn nasty

Old 2010-07-08, 2:47pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
OK here.. you have NO IDEA how much $$$ and time you will save in the long run. this tool has outlasted about 20 other diamond bits, and more! it is one run tool too, in and out that is it! watch the video!! (i think its still on his site, maybe)

http://www.artintheround.com/categor...ning-Tools.htm
This diamond bit + Dremel MiniMite = perfect marriage. JMHO of course, but many others will agree. Puckered bead holes and dremeling on low speed will cut down on chipped holes.
Old 2010-07-08, 5:21pm

I know you're right about the chipped hole edges, those were only on my first beads. My newest beads don't have that problem! Well not most of them anyway!

The tool on Arintheround looks awesome, but it has all those different sizes? That means you'd have to buy a seperate one for each size bead you make at $34 a pop?! yikes

I have a regular size dremel and some diamond bits from the little kit I bought but I doubt they'll work together. I am also a little leary of holding a electrical item over a bowl of water, sounds scary!

Old 2010-07-08, 11:32pm
Glass-aholic

the beadreamer from art in the round rarely ever chips bead holes. it is designed with a tapered non coated bit end that does not chip the ends. I use it on low speed, high is bazzaro fast on my current dremel !!

I bought the 3/32 because it is the size of most my mandrels, and the beads I make most are this size. HOWEVER I do use it to clean my pandora size beads too, and I have made hundreds! I just run it along the edge I have also used it to clean 3/64" 1/4" 5/64? 1/2" and 3/4" bead holes. they are SOOO smooth! So far I have onlly ever had to buy O N E beadreamer in the past 4 years. I use it on every bead I make (with the 1/16" mandrel exception)

about the water: They make cordless dremels
not much shock there to worry about, if it ever happened.

Old 2010-07-09, 3:11am

Thanks for the clairification Jaci! I'll go check it out again. Sounds like a real time saver.

Old 2010-07-10, 8:21pm
Formerly FishBulb

I recently bought a EuroTool diamond bead reamer from a local supplier. I don't know where it's from originally but I do know they get a lot of their stuff from Frantz, and that a big Frantz shipment came in there recently, so maybe that's where it's from.

It's the best money I ever spent. The bits are the same ones you get with the hand-held tool (can't recall the name) and you can buy replacement bits for cheap from a number of places. The bits are interchangeable so if you want to clean thin-holed beads you can do so, and if you want to clean larger-holed beads you can do that with a simple change of bit.

Also, the motor stops when the bit gets stuck in the bead so you won't have it ripped out of your hand and flung across the room like with a dremel.

I wrote about it here on my sadly-neglected blog:

http://mitosisglass.blogspot.com/201...-hdp-3750.html

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-07-12, 2:21am

i am looking at the beadreamer from art in the round.

And where did you buy the eurotool?

Old 2010-07-12, 7:10am
are we there yet?

I use these:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...d-reamer/BDM94
with my Dremel Stylus

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well make beads. jazz
Old 2010-07-12, 7:46am
one day at a time

I have this one and I bought it back in 2006. It's still going strong. Amazing that I haven't burned the rechargable battery up yet. It still carries as much juice as it did when new. I have used mine at least 2-3 times a week, cleaning sometimes hundreds of beads a week. That's a LOT of beads for the wear and tear on this tool!

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-750-02-...8945769&sr=8-1

Can't beat that price either. It's less than what I paid for mine.