Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-15, 3:43pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Yes, I too am driven crazy by not knowing, but that is just in my DNA, no harm no foul. The responses so far give me a good feeling about the whole tutorial and tool. The feedback from buyers will speak for itself, and so far it is all good. I am dying to find out all the info, and I am sure the better part of curiosity will take me over soon. I'd be jumping right now if I had my torch set up(I'll get the look of death if I buy one more torch thing before we finish the building the torches go in).

Kudos to you for coming up with a new idea, and making it work for both your art and a little $ on the side. I hope the secret stays safe for you to get what you need to out of the project. I am impressed with the buyers tight lips as well, and tip my hat to all of you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2011-12-15, 4:44pm

Gotta agree with everyone on this one. Seems like the buyers so far are quite happy with the tutorial and that is what really matters. I considered buying this and I may in the near future still. Sounds like a winner.
Old 2011-12-15, 8:02pm
It's about having fun!

I very much appreciate the kind words and the support and the time everyone has taken to give their input, Thank you so much. It's very generous of you.
I also understand the objections, I get what what you are saying, I did the best I could think of with a tough decision. Believe it or not I am very happy that people may prosper from being able to use the tool, I wish everyone well! LE is an awesome place and I hope I can contribute in the future when I'm actually better at working with glass.
Sure I wish everyone just loved me and my ideas :c) but that's not realistic! It's okay.
Thanks again, happy torching!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-12-15, 8:08pm
I'm meeeeelting

There are other tools out there for putting holes in hot glass (peter tweezer, handy andy). I'm curious about whether this one is substantially different or is whether the benefit is that it can be made inexpensively. This is purely idle curiosity on my part as I have a handy andy tool already. While I'm curious, I'm not curious enough to buy the tutorial for a tool I don't need. LOL.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2011-12-15 at 8:14pm.
Old 2011-12-16, 7:19pm
It's about having fun!

I think it's a lot different Felicia, at first my frustration lead me to searching the threads and the internet for a tool but I just couldn't find anything except the tweezer type of tool. It's not a tweezer type tool if that helps.
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-12-16, 7:21pm
I'm meeeeelting

I'm always impressed with people that can figure out how to create things. I have a glass buddy who's husband is great at finding better, less expensive ways to make tools than what you'd buy.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-12-17, 3:37am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
Thank you for pointing this out... It IS very high school.

No disrespect to the maker of this tool, but I will not buy a tool, glass, presses, bead, bead tut, etc with out actually SEEING a picture. This trend is maddening!

I was very excited about this. I would buy it" cuz its cool looking, and well just cool!" Tools sell all the time from how many vendors. When's the last time you bought one without seeing a picture. Personally I am a visual person. Maybe this is why it bothers me, maybe it's the principle of it all. I just can not keep this feeling inside me on this anymore. Please feel free to let me know if I am out of line here... I just think this is wrong. I will be more than happy to start a entirely new threads if this is not the place to say it.

***yes I understand that this is being done so people wi not make the tool based on the picture, and so the person who came up with it can make claim to the tool along with the $. I really do. But I would buy it if I knew what the hell I was buying, or If had a need for it.
I would also like to point out that others may find a use for this tool other than that of which Joni intended it for, yet will never know if not seen visually, just as Joni had seen the potential in this pre-modified tool Joni saw.

I really would like to commend Joni on finding an "off-lable" use for a tool, and bringing that knowledge into the community. I'm sure it's great, and sure you will make money selling the idea and the tool. And it may seem like this is a purely personal attack, but it is not. I hold nothing against anyone. I have seen a few other "blind tutorials." Its just sad that it all comes down to dough... This community use to share everything.
I see valid points to both sides of this thread. I think the fact that Joni was able to MacGyver a dollar store tool into something that will hold up to repeated use on hot glass is THE BEE'S knees! I really do. You go, girleen!! It's a little weird that people are talking about it without talking about. That is probably only because I am nosy and want to know everything. LOL!

Then there is the tool whore in me that wants to see the tool in action. I want to:
1. See what it does
2. See how it does it
3. Want to know what it feels like in my fat sausage fingers

As for other super secret tuts? What? Let's use a murrini recipe as an example. I have not bought any murrini recipe books/or tuts. But, I have bought murrini. I know how it's made, I know what it will look like when it's used. In that case, buying a "secret" tut isn't really a blind endeavor. We know what will happen (or what can/should) by following instructions/recipes. When I think of this tool, I want to see what it looks lime before I commit to buying a tut. Chances are I have everything 10x over to make it. I would have never bought a bead press with a description of "this tool will make a roundish, squashed saucer, disk like shape similar in character to a flat bicone with the hole going a different way." I want to see the tool and see what it does and how. So I totally GET where Jaci is coming from.

I'm not curious enough to buy it, yet, but who knows? I think is seriously kick-ass that you figured this out, Joni. The feed back is looking good and people seem to be happy. I also think that in the face of some if this negativity, you have been extraordinarily graceful. That's impressive. Lord knows there are tuts out there that I want badly buy won't buy because the opposite is true of those people.

I hope this keeps going well for you, Joni. Whenever a person can take a creative idea and sell it to someone that wants to use it, well, that's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I guess my personal response to that would be this:

There are tutorials out right now for certain techniques and recipes and the glass colors are not divulged in the supplies list because if you knew what colors were used, you would not need to purchase the tutorial. Not a lot of people seem to have a problem with that.

If the base tool that Joni 'modifies' were shown, you would possibly not need the tutorial to work it out (depending on how handy you are). It's the idea itself that is clever. The instructions for making the tool are complete, but if you saw a picture you could devise a way to diy.

You can go back for years on here and see that Joni and I aren't bosom buddies and I'm not in a clique that would rush to her defense. I like Joni, we've been friendly, for sure. I just wanted to make sure you knew that I'm not posting here to boost her sales. She had a very clever idea. I think she deserves to make a little money on it.

As far as this community use to share everything...that's not 100% accurate either. Information has been for sale just as long (probably longer than) as it has been for free. In the form of classes, books, videos, magazines, etc....people pay to learn all the time. Some secrets are never given out for free or for sale, but guarded.

If you want to know how to make the tool, then buy the tutorial. If you don't want to know, then don't. I fail to see the problem.

And I really don't get the high-school clique reference. Would you rather anyone who bought the tutorial just blab what it is? I'd be pretty irritated if someone did that to me.

Or would it be better that everyone who bought the tutorial said nothing at all? Not so sure I'd be too happy about that way either.

I guess the realism of not being able to keep 100% of the people happy 100% of the time is something that is true 100% of the time. We just have to do our best and hope for the best.

Some are faulting Joni for not supporting the community by selling something clever instead of giving it for free. From what I've read, Joni kinda needs this to work out for her. What about the community supporting her efforts for a while? What's the difference? She's part of this community too.

~~Mary

Last edited by BrownGirl; 2011-12-17 at 4:17pm.
Old 2011-12-17, 2:21pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you Monica, it's interesting to hear others input. I'm not savy on such issues, I just had a good idea and it worked. lol That doesn't happen to me very often!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-12-18, 7:45pm
It's about having fun!

Here's a strange little tip! I try alot of off mandrel objects, I practice how I can shape things by using silly putty! Sounds a bit strange I know but it really helps me get a idea of what to do. You can practice using the Boneyard punch on silly putty too if you need a little practice! ;c)
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-12-19, 11:47am
Curmudgeon Engineering

You're calling it the Boneyard Punch???

How cool is that? love it!
Old 2011-12-24, 6:34am
It's about having fun!

Thank you Cheng!

Anyone interested, I'm posting a give away today! Looks like fun!
One tutorial, one Boneyard punch for anyone who has purchased the tutorial!
Hope everyone is having a happy holiday!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-12-26, 11:15am
judejudejude

I won I won. Thank you so much. Can't wait to make some easy breezy holes in my glass. Merry Christmas to you and yours and a Happy New Year and forever to you too.
thanks again
jude
Old 2011-12-31, 7:59am
It's about having fun!

Thank you Jude! I hope you have alot of fun! Happy New Year!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-01-04, 4:57pm
It's about having fun!

I am wondering if anyone has made the tool yet? I thought I would ask here as I see several people her did order the tutorial. Just wondering!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-01-27, 4:52pm
It's about having fun!

Lol! I have another tool, this one is so goofy, I'm going to just tell it! I'll try to take a picture tomorrow first!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-01-27, 5:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibird View Post
I am wondering if anyone has made the tool yet? I thought I would ask here as I see several people her did order the tutorial. Just wondering!
I ordered your tutorial last week but have not made it yet. I will pop back in once I get it made and use it and let you know how it went.

The tutorial looks well explained and your idea looks clever!

I did not have the item on hand to alter and just haven't gone to get it yet. I think I will check the dollar store since you said you got one there.

Old 2012-02-01, 7:02pm
It's about having fun!

That's very cool Joyce! Thank you! Can't wait to see what you've done!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-02-12, 9:47pm

Quote:
That's very cool Joyce! Thank you! Can't wait to see what you've done!
Well I finally got the tool made. I was able to get one exactly like the one in your tutorial, and at a great price. $1 . LOL

I tried it out today and here is my first result. I realized I am lacking skills in off mandrel work. I dropped it on the ground when I was done and ready to put it in the kiln. But it survived! LOL .....It was so easy to use. .... oh and thanks again for sharing your idea.

Old 2012-02-12, 9:51pm

Quote:
Lol! I have another tool, this one is so goofy, I'm going to just tell it! I'll try to take a picture tomorrow first!
I'm curious,,, what's your other 'goofy' tool? Did you decide if you were going to tell what it is?

Old 2012-02-20, 5:56pm
It's about having fun!

lol! Sorry I forgot! It's a curling iron, now you can guess why! ;c)
Then I saw your picture Joyce, thank you! I think your going to rock and roll!
Thank you! Joni

Last edited by jonibird; 2012-02-20 at 6:04pm.
Old 2012-02-20, 6:00pm
It's about having fun!

I never know where to post things, so I'll post here. You can make off mandrel beads with the boneyard punch! I've been playing around! My talent is limited but I bet you all could really make these work!

Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-02-20, 6:08pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Love the green one.
Old 2012-02-20, 6:17pm

Quote:
Then I saw your picture Joyce, thank you! I think your going to rock and roll!
Rod warmer? LOL

If so here is another option people have used. It is another type of curling iron heater. There are threads in here somewhere about it I believe.

http://www.elliebeauty.com/gold-n-ho...-stove-gh5100/

Quote:
I never know where to post things, so I'll post here. You can make off mandrel beads with the boneyard punch! I've been playing around! My talent is limited but I bet you all could really make these work!

Looks like Lifesavers candies!

Old 2012-02-23, 8:14pm
It's about having fun!

Nope Joyce! ;c)
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-03-01, 7:12pm
Loving learning

I was at the thrift store & looked at a curling iron today, but wasn't channeling it's use so didn't get it!
Any hints?
Old 2012-03-02, 7:43pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Apparently none of us can figure it out... tell us!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2012-03-03, 8:00am
It's about having fun!

lol! Hi Gelly, I'll go make something and post a picture! I keep forgetting!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-03-12, 8:12pm
Loving learning

Just in case you forgot again
Old 2012-03-13, 8:58am

I was very skeptical about a tool which had no description, and watched this message board for quite some time before I bit. I have used a Handy Andy, a tungsten pick, Peter's Tweezers and a converted needle nose plier to make holes for years. None of these was making a clean hole without distortion, and/or excessive time waste, reshaping the piece. But...I've made 2 tools using this tutorial. They took longer than I thought they would to make, but they work very well. The distortion is minimal, the placement accuracy is great, and it looks to me like the tools will last for a very long time. I will make another one when I get time, which will give me bigger holes.
One nice thing about this tool is that it gives me a smoother hole than the other tools. I just run a pick into the holes afterwards to enlarge or straighten them out a bit, but this is a quick step.
So glad I decided to "risk" it!
Thank you for sharing this; I know I will always want one on my bench.
Old 2012-03-26, 6:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post

Just in case you forgot again
Are you still waiting?

Tags
hole in glass, tool