No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-27, 12:26pm

Default Carlo Donna bell flower press question

Hi,
I just ordered the Carlo Donna bell flower press. I know that last year Cynthia Tilker was offering a free tutorial on using this press but she had a computer meltdown and lost it.

Does anyone have a copy they would be willing to share?? I would greatly appreciate it.

Melody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-27, 1:21pm

I sent a PM. Cynthia's flowers are wonderful!

Yvonne
Old 2012-01-27, 8:35pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Hi Melody! I just want to say HURRAY!!! for you.

This is my dream tool and I get excited when someone else gets one, I hope you post pictures for us (me) to drool over!

congratulations....

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2012-02-17, 1:28pm
BabblingBeads

Hi, I too talked to Cynthia and was told she lost the tutorial in a computer malfunction. Could I get this tutorial from anyone?

Thanks. Much!

Jill Carter
Old 2012-02-17, 3:01pm
A True Woofer

She posted it here:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...&postcount=524

Old 2012-02-17, 5:40pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Ellen beat me to it.

Congratulations! I my BF press.

Old 2012-02-17, 9:56pm

Hi everyone. I just wanted to clarify a few things that I do differently now that might help. It is better to put the pieces right into the kiln. I found that I had less fails. The blanket is ok for the flowers for the most part, but for some reason the leaves don't fair up as well so I just pop them into the kiln.

Another thing that I do is put the pieces in pickle in a mini crock pot to eliminate the fire scale. I polish them up with a sunshine cloth for the final step. I use 20 gauge German silver wire from Rio Grand which seems to work the best.

Have fun

Old 2013-02-18, 1:43pm
Evil Glass Enabler

There is also a You Tube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQkgB23KI0 Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2013-02-18, 2:15pm

Hi Cynthia, when you say silver wire, do you mean sterling? I have had my press for ages & am ashamed to say I have yet to try it....

Thanks Kerry
Old 2013-02-18, 3:25pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catts View Post
Hi Cynthia, when you say silver wire, do you mean sterling? I have had my press for ages & am ashamed to say I have yet to try it....

Thanks Kerry
Talk to me when you want to sell it

Old 2013-02-18, 3:27pm

No not sterling. It's German silver which is nickel...I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catts View Post

Thanks Kerry

Old 2013-02-18, 11:26pm

Thank you Cynthia, I'll look it up..

Tammy, if I were the kind of person who sold off things just because I had not used them yet........I wouldn't be living in this house crammed with stuff. m Kerry
Old 2013-02-19, 8:35am

This is the one. You can use the 20 gauge but I also use 24 at times.

http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Nic...t/131320?Pos=2

Old 2013-02-19, 1:30pm

Thanks again Cynthia.. Not sure I need 333 feet of wire just yet, I'll see what I can find locally......

Kerry
Old 2013-02-19, 4:41pm

Kerry, you can get smaller quantities from Rio too I just get the big ones because I use it for other things too.

Old 2013-03-19, 4:38am

Please could somebody tell me which size they think is the best of the flower press? Thanks.
Old 2013-03-19, 8:42am

I think they are all best, and it depends on which size of stuff you want to make. If you get the bigger ones, you can just not fill the cavity as full and make smaller ones, so it seems to me that those are more versatile. You also need to decide if you like 5, 6 or 8 petal arrangements most. That will also dictate which sizes you choose from.
Old 2013-03-19, 8:45am

Thanks Kathy.
Old 2013-03-19, 11:03am
Evil Glass Enabler

I personally like the smaller ones for earrings because they are lighter but I like every size they make. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post
Please could somebody tell me which size they think is the best of the flower press? Thanks.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2013-03-20, 9:56am
We are all meant to shine

Lori has a short video on how to use this press. I don't have the link to it, but here is a link to her blog on the press: http://loribeads.blogspot.com/2012/0...her-stuff.html

Here's another thread on Carlo Dona Tools http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...41#post4215841 page 47 shows some of lori's Lovely bellflowers

Also Hannah Rosner has a tutorial coming out in the upcoming issue of Soda Lime Times.

I'm justifying my purchase by the fact that the next 5 people I send flowers to will be receiving glass bellflower bouquets from me. Who wouldn't love to receive a bouquet of these?