Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2012-01-14, 11:54am
Rare Florida Native

Default Tutorial Printing - In Color

I tried to find a thread regarding this question but could not find one so if I am being redundant

Does anyone know where I can get the tutorials I have purchased printed in color at a reasonable price? The local print shop wants $1.50 a page.....

I have a B/W printer - I would like to have the ones I have in color so I can put them in a binder.

Thanks for any input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-14, 12:39pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I am in Canada and was using Staples for the longest while. I was paying .39 a page. I finally purchased a decent HP printer and it costs me about 3 cents a page , maybe less as I am looking into reinking places for the cartridges.

Old 2012-01-14, 12:41pm

Perhaps you could see if your library has color printers. Might be only 50 cents per page, so at least that is a savings.

I don't buy the tutorials because even at 50 cents a page for printing plus the cost of the tutorial, it becomes too expensive. Instead, I prefer to buy books and other materials that are already in the format I need.

Yvonne
Old 2012-01-14, 2:10pm
da General

Charlotte, you can upload your pdf onto lulu.com and have them printed out at 20 cents per page plus a small fee.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-01-14, 2:36pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Charlotte, you can upload your pdf onto lulu.com and have them printed out at 20 cents per page plus a small fee.
This is what I do. And, recently they have been sending me a lot of sale coupons often for up to 25% off. I save my tutorials up until I get a coupon.
I don't have one that is valid right now though.

Old 2012-01-14, 3:23pm
Rare Florida Native

Quote:
Thanks for the input - .20 cents a page is more in my budget
I will check it out & print one to start with and get on their list

I have a some Sarah Hornick tutorials that are begging to be printed - her beads are so colorful!

I used to have a color printer before I bought my MAC - I print things rarely anymore so my B/W printer has worked well.

Old 2012-01-14, 5:51pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

I admit I'm a tut junkie ... I have a whole pile I want to print ... the latest I bought actually in book form was the Cane Cookbook, can't wait to get it. It woudl have cost me over $200 to print here at home ... so the purchase price was a great deal!

I'm keeping looking online ... I'll look up lulu.com too! Tx Hayley.
Old 2012-01-14, 7:06pm
da General

lulu has a welcome coupon for first timers for 15% off. Put WELCOME in the coupon area upon checkout.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-01-14, 8:11pm
Rare Florida Native

Quote:
lulu has a welcome coupon for first timers for 15% off. Put WELCOME in the coupon area upon checkout.
Thank you Hayley

Old 2012-01-17, 8:06am
Renee

If you have a graphic arts program or a printing dept at your local high school or technical high school ( or technical college) you can get things printed really cheap AND in color. Ours charge as little as 5 - .15 a page. They aren't allowed to make a profit and basically charge you for the paper and ink used. They can take donations to their programs- but if you are saving that much money on printing it's well worth giving a few extra dollars so you can be sure they will keep you as a priority customer!!

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2012-01-17, 9:04am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Here's what I do.
I put ALL of my current tutorials into one pdf, and upload it to lulu.com.
After I have everything set up on there, I wait a few days/weeks.
They eventually send me a coupon for a "proof" of the book.

You can also search for online coupons for lulu, and save a ton of money.
(just google lulu.com coupons).

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2012-01-20, 8:34pm
Rare Florida Native

It took a while since I am on a dial-up connection but I uploaded all the tutorials to Lulu & created a 300 page plus spiral book.
I was able to get 20% off and the book is ordered
Thanks for sharing - can't wait to see the book. I think I might create some custom calendars for gifts....

Old 2012-02-09, 8:41pm
Rare Florida Native

I wanted to just update and say that Lulu.com was an excellent way to print out my material.
I have a beautiful spiral bound book and the shipping was quick.

Old 2012-02-20, 8:01am

For those of you who have used LuLu.com, I'm wondering if you ran into the issue of it telling you the font needs to be imbedded, or something of that issue. I tried to do it last night and it told me something about that and it couldn't upload the files.

I would love to have some printed there. It seems cheaper or even the same pricewise as printing them yourself. I printed quite a few out on my own printer but the darn printer ink seems to go so quick and racks up the price of self printing. Not worth it really. Plus I was buying binders with the sleeves to put them in to make them nice. All costly. LuLu really seems the way to go, but I need to figure out this issue of fonts needing to be imbedded.

Any help on this?

Thanks!

Old 2012-02-20, 1:45pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyceMI View Post
For those of you who have used LuLu.com, I'm wondering if you ran into the issue of it telling you the font needs to be imbedded, or something of that issue. I tried to do it last night and it told me something about that and it couldn't upload the files.

I would love to have some printed there. It seems cheaper or even the same pricewise as printing them yourself. I printed quite a few out on my own printer but the darn printer ink seems to go so quick and racks up the price of self printing. Not worth it really. Plus I was buying binders with the sleeves to put them in to make them nice. All costly. LuLu really seems the way to go, but I need to figure out this issue of fonts needing to be imbedded.

Any help on this?

Thanks!

Yes, I did run into this issue. To resolve it you need to open the PDF that needs to have the fonts embedded and print it using a utility like PDF995.
This will create another file of your tutorial with embedded fonts. It doesn't actually print on paper. Submit this new file to Lulu.

Here's the link to the software. It's free: http://www.pdf995.com/

Old 2012-02-20, 3:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
Yes, I did run into this issue. To resolve it you need to open the PDF that needs to have the fonts embedded and print it using a utility like PDF995.
This will create another file of your tutorial with embedded fonts. It doesn't actually print on paper. Submit this new file to Lulu.

Here's the link to the software. It's free: http://www.pdf995.com/
Thank You MaryBeth! I downloaded it and copied a few using the PDF99. Now off to LuLu.com.

Very much appreciated!

Old 2012-03-10, 8:47pm

Update for me. I just got my book today. It is really nice!

I had uploaded 6 tutorials which ended up being about 280 pages. I did not order right away. I waited less than a week and they sent me an email with 20% off. Just like Karen said.

This was so much better than printing them out myself, which I had done with about 6 of them a while back. UGH! A couple of those I included in this one. I got the spiral bound book. Love it!

Old 2012-04-03, 1:01pm
ManBearPig

If anyone needs stuff printed, just let me know. I do work for a printing company after all.

40¢ per page (2 sided) and $1 to bind it.

Drops to 30¢ per page over 100 copies.

PM me or email me at chad@valleyprinters.us if I can help.

Old 2012-04-03, 1:11pm
Practicing perfect

What a great thread. Now I can have my tuts printed and bound hassle free. thank you all.

Old 2012-04-04, 2:37am

Wow, this is great and cheaper than buying an iPad which is what I was hoping to do so I can use my tuts in my studio.
Old 2013-01-02, 12:06pm
Who me?

I found this blogger who rated several online photo book printers. She didn't even mention Lulu....but here's the link.

http://thedailydigi.com/12-different...inter-reviews/