TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: what side is your kiln on andf is it the same as your most used hand?
Right handed, kiln right side 98 42.98%
Left handed, kiln left side 17 7.46%
Right handed, kiln on left side 96 42.11%
Left handed, kiln on right side 14 6.14%
Kiln on both sides....I kick butt making beads 3 1.32%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-11-22, 5:55pm

Right handed. Kiln on the right just because it's less in my way there - but, it's on a rolling metal cart so I can easily put it anywhere. I have to switch hands when I put beads in the kiln no matter where I place the kiln - I have double doors with handles on either side.

Joanne
Old 2007-11-23, 11:37am
Glass-aholic

right handed tools on right, kiln and mandrels on left. The glass on my work bench is on my right too, but my glass storage is on my left.... (pvc in crates on wheels to slide in and out of under the table)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2007-11-26, 2:31pm

Right handed, kiln on right due to workshop configuration. I have heard that it's ok to leave the bead door open while garaging... so that's the plan. I have no idea how it works yet. I'll let you know by the end of the week (with luck, I'll be fully operational by then!).

eek
Old 2007-11-28, 5:08pm
I'm a lilac!

My kiln is behind me.

Old 2007-11-28, 8:58pm
Finding Sanity with Glass

Right handed and I keep my kiln on a rolling cart to the left of my torching table. It is easier to open the little door with my left hand and pop the bead in with my dominate right. I keep that kiln real close to me so maybe it can keep me warm in my freezing garage! BRRRRR... It is COLD in Iowa!

Wendy

" border="0" />

Old 2007-11-29, 7:04pm

Mine is behind me now. I need to move it to my right, just lazy that I haven't moved it yet. Hope Hubby will help me on Sunday?
hehehe
Old 2014-05-16, 12:42am

Mine is behind me.

I quite like it there.

No chance of accidentally reaching through the flame.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2014-05-16, 4:31am

Right handed and kiln on left side but not really by choice, it was the best configuration for the space.

My etsy

My Facebook page

Old 2014-05-16, 4:37am
Cheesehead Packer lover

I have my Jen Ken brick kiln on my right and my Chili Pepper on my left.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2014-05-16, 7:56pm
Salt Box Beads

To my right but with its back facing me. It sits on top of a tall roll about tool chest so I have to walk around the chest to get to the front of it, I would have it set up to my right on the bench if I had the room, up high. I like them up high, easier to look into and see where to put my beads I guess.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2014-05-17 at 10:10pm.
Old 2014-05-17, 12:46pm

It would be interesting to know what percentage of us get out of our chair to put a bead in the kiln and who can reach teir kiln from where they sit
Old 2014-05-17, 10:11pm
Salt Box Beads

I am usually not in a chair, I like to stand when torching most of the time.
Old 2014-05-18, 6:47pm
I fart diamonds

I can reach mine. It was on my left but I moved it to my right a few months ago.

Old 2014-05-19, 6:52am
Creative Spirit

my kiln is behind me, so I just swing around and put it in!

Peace Wendy
Old 2014-05-19, 7:38am
sunscreen me baby

I love seeing old threads resurrected, lol. I picked I have a kiln on each side because I kick butt making beads. I don't use both most days as I have slowed down a bit. I usually use the one that's on my left because it's closer.

~

Old 2014-05-19, 8:33am
flight risk

There's not option for "in a totally separate building." I batch anneal, my torch is in the studio space, the kiln is out in the shed. But my can of annealing bubbles is on my left.

Old 2014-05-22, 12:36pm

My kiln is behind me...
i am sitting usually and have a rolling office chair and it has a great spin too... so when i need something from or put something in the kiln i spin and roll...hehe
sometimes i spin around several times so im nice and dizzy when i reach in the kiln...hehe
its the most fun i have all day...

Khan
Old 2014-05-23, 6:00pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Mine's about a metre behind me on the left. One push of the right foot scoots my chair to it, I grab my leather glove from the bench on the way, open and insert the bead.
LOL It's a ceramic kiln with a big door...

It's why I swear I have great traverse muscles on one side of my torso

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2014-05-23, 6:23pm
Lifelong Student

I'm right handed and my kiln is on my left. Originally I wasted it on my right but I find there is a smoother transition the way it is. I also bead standing but will be getting a drafting chair soon....one more thing to buy
Old 2014-07-08, 10:29pm

mine is on my left side, since my bench is back to back with my wife's that way our kilns are not back to back and on the same circuit. honestly though I am mostly doing off mandrel soft glass sculpture so the kiln is rarely on while I am working

#C-151
Old 2014-07-09, 8:46am
Super Duper

I take things out of the kiln on my right, and put things into the kiln on my left.
Old 2014-09-15, 8:39am
Mary Lockwood

Right handed, kiln on the left--by choice.

It's only about a foot away from me so I just swivel my chair, open the door with my left, stick in the bead with my right, shut the door with my left and swivel back around.

If it was to my right it would be awkward because the handle for the bead door is on the right side of the kiln so I'd be reaching and twisting further to open the door with my left hand. OR I'd be opening the kiln door with my right, holding the bead with my left, then switching it into my right to put it into the kiln. I usually have a line up of beads in the kiln and I'm not ambidextrous enough to feed a new bead in there with my non dominant hand.