Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-02-05, 11:03am
Lifelong Student

Default Beads made on copper tube

Anyone made tubes directly on copper tube-tube is part of the bead? Is there an incaparability issue? Is there a size limit? Any tips and pics would be awesome
Old 2016-02-05, 12:23pm

Yes, I have. I used release, then a piece of copper tube and built the bead onto the copper. It looks red under glass.
Old 2016-02-05, 3:41pm

I've done it too, but no pics. It was way back in the dark ages where I didn't take photos with the 35mm just for experiments. The beads were small, about 1/2" long and 1/4-3/8" in diameter. The copper does indeed look red under the glass, so you can do some color play with clear transparents over it; think transparent blue, turquoise, pink, amber. I would think you wouldn't want to go much over 1/8" copper tubing, as it does have a different COE and you're pushing the limits.
Old 2016-02-05, 4:52pm
Lifelong Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
I've done it too, but no pics. It was way back in the dark ages where I didn't take photos with the 35mm just for experiments. The beads were small, about 1/2" long and 1/4-3/8" in diameter. The copper does indeed look red under the glass, so you can do some color play with clear transparents over it; think transparent blue, turquoise, pink, amber. I would think you wouldn't want to go much over 1/8" copper tubing, as it does have a different COE and you're pushing the limits.
I was thinking of using 1/4" diameter....darn
Old 2016-02-05, 4:55pm

I think if you could find some thin wall tubing it would be OK. Mine was from Ace and had pretty thick walls.
Old 2016-02-05, 4:58pm
Lifelong Student

That is exactly what I was planning on using...1/4" copper tubing from the hardware store. I guess I'll have to rethink my design. If I used 1/8" tubing would it be enough wow factor? I want to make a bicone with clear encased tube and copper foil leaf inserts also encased.
Old 2016-02-05, 7:13pm
Slogan Challenged...

You could also try enameling the tubes

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-02-05, 10:48pm
Lifelong Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
You could also try enameling the tubes
I actually am wanting the red copper tones. It's for a certain bead in a certain challenge
Old 2016-02-06, 12:38am

I've been looking at the different enamels to try to see what type of glass would be best for copper beads. My thinking is this: there are enamels for the different COE glasses - window glass, Bullseye, Effetre, and also metal. (Well, stainless steel is in a different category than copper/gold/silver, but that doesn't matter for this discussion.) The problem I found that for glasses, the COE is for linear expansion, and for metal it is given for cubic expansion.

I think the best result for using glass on copper would be with borosilicate. The COEs still don't match and aren't within ±5 (probably more like 25), but I think boro is closer than any of the soft glasses.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2016-02-06 at 12:41am.
Old 2016-02-06, 3:26am
Lifelong Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Anza Art Glass Club View Post
I've been looking at the different enamels to try to see what type of glass would be best for copper beads. My thinking is this: there are enamels for the different COE glasses - window glass, Bullseye, Effetre, and also metal. (Well, stainless steel is in a different category than copper/gold/silver, but that doesn't matter for this discussion.) The problem I found that for glasses, the COE is for linear expansion, and for metal it is given for cubic expansion.

I think the best result for using glass on copper would be with borosilicate. The COEs still don't match and aren't within ±5 (probably more like 25), but I think boro is closer than any of the soft glasses.
I had not thought to use boro....the idea intrigues me
Old 2016-02-06, 5:31pm
Slogan Challenged...

Boro would be pretty!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-02-07, 12:34am

I have made some beads (about 1" long) on thin wall 1/4 " tubing. I was worried about cracking, but after at least 6 months they are still okay. I used refrigerator tubing from Home Depot. Love the red colour.
Old 2016-02-07, 1:57am
Lifelong Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
I have made some beads (about 1" long) on thin wall 1/4 " tubing. I was worried about cracking, but after at least 6 months they are still okay. I used refrigerator tubing from Home Depot. Love the red colour.
That is exactly what I want to do...so glad it works.
Old 2016-02-07, 10:38am

I got to do this in college once. We used 1/8th inch or slightly larger copper tubing--still obtainable in hardware and craft stores--and Thompson enamels formulated specially for copper. We also got little bits of gold and silver foil to play with, and we could make the beads as long as we wanted, since we cut the tubing ourselves with a jewelry saw. We used terracotta slip as a sort of bead release (sloppy!) which worked fairly well so long as we didn't get it on the tubing. It was my first introduction to glass beadmaking, and I still have most of them.
By the way, you can get a neat effect by cutting tiny slices from small-diameter copper tubing and using the slices like millifiore or frit in a clear bead. Just make sure that your ventilation's good.
Old 2016-02-07, 11:35am
Borovangelist

Keep in mind, too, that the tubing is going to conduct the heat well, so you'll want an alternate way to hold on to it.

|
|
Old 2016-02-07, 11:57am
Lifelong Student

There are so many awesome tips here...thanks.
Robin, thanks for the copper murrini tip. I have a lot of very small pieces of 1/8" tubing I have trimmed from my unsuccessful attempts at making hinges. Now I have a use for them

Menty, I plan on putting the copper tubing on a mandrel.