TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-04-18, 3:27pm

Default Free Tutorial On How To Achieve The Different Looks With My Handmade Murrini

Ok, here it goes, this is the tutorial on how to aply the murrini I have for sale in my etsy shop, on how to achieve the different looks... You can see how to get a specific look with the detailed description in the 2nd part of this thread, about the most complex looks bellow you can see detailed description on each one as well as some photos of the process (with very poor quality, sorry, I hope this wasnt a waste of time, but I took them with my camera and was alone so I had to record it, take photo of recording, etc... xD)

IMPORTANT: If you were one of the firsts to buy my murrini, I renamed the different looks, so please see here the equivalence

Aplying the murrini:
When working with murrini you should warm it before using, I usually do it on top of the flame, just waving it a little before aplying it, then spot heat the place of the bead where youll be aplying the murrini till orange and stick the murrini in that spot and press it very gently . As you may have seen these murrini can give you very different results, so heres the individual information on many of them:

Pre-Heating the spot to the murrini as well as the murrini itself:

Heat the place in the bead where you will be aplying the murrini, and pre-heat the murrini, flashing it through the flame as you can see on top.

Reducing the murrini:

Turn your propane up (or your oxygen down) and wave the bead through the flame a couple of times (left picture, this picture shows the bead while passing through the flame, but I dont keep it there, I wave it back and forth and it will only pass through the flame briefly). On the right picture you can see the murrini reduced

Making the eye:

after aplying the murrini (photo 1) heat just a little at a time and aply pressure between each heat cicle, heat, press with paddle, heat press with paddle, heat, press... etc (photo 2 and 3), until its melted flat (photo 4), then allow it to cool (now you can leave it like this or you can reduce it (see above how to reduce it)) and encase it with a small dot of transparent (photo 5).

Making the universe:

After aplying the murrini heat it a little until orange(photo1), and poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake or something pointy(photo 2 and 3). Melt it flat and let it cool(photo 4) (now you can leave it like this or you can reduce it (see above how to reduce it)) and encase with a dot of transparent (photo 5).

Making the vortex:

After aplying the murrini heat it a little until orange(photo1), and poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake or something pointy (photo2). Melt it flat and while stil orange grab a “cold” transparent stringer and touch the middle of the murrini (photo 3 initial position) and twist it a little, one way or the other, around 90 degrees (photo 4 final position). After this burn of the transparent leaving just a little transparent (wich is gonna be the hole of the vortex) (photo 5) (now you can leave it like this or you can reduce it (see above how to reduce it)) and encase with a dot of transparent.

Making the black hole:

after aplying the murrini, heat the murrini a little until orange and also the bead just where the murrini is aplyed (photo 1), poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake or something pointy a little hard (photo 2) so the murrini kinda goes into the bead (photo 3). Then allow it to cool (now you can leave it like this or you can reduce it (see above how to reduce it)) and encase it with a small dot of transparent leaving a trapped air bubble (photo 4) (The Black Hole(photo 5)).

Making the galaxy:

after aplying the murrini, heat the murrini a little until orange (photo 1), and poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake or something pointy (photo 2). Melt it flat and while still orange (photo 3), get a clear stringer and melt it till orange, with both the murrini and the stringer orange (photo 4) touch each other and twist it a little while they cool (photo 5), let cool before you burn off the stringer not to mess the design, then encase it with a small dot of for depth.

Bellow you can see some of the results of the different techniques and also with some description.

Universe Look Reduced & Encased: after aplying the murrini, heat the murrini a little until orange, and poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake or something pointy. Melt it flat and let it cool. Turn your flame to reduction and reduce the murrini til shiny, then encase it with a small dot of transparent for depth.

Universe Look Encased: after aplying the murrini, heat the murrini a little until orange, and poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake. Melt it flat and then encase it with a small dot of transparent.

Vortex Look Encased: after aplying the murrini, heat the murrini a little until orange, and poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake or something pointy. Melt it flat and while still orange, get a clear stringer and stick it just a little to the middle of the murrini and twist it just a tiny bit, then burn it off just leaving a tiny dot of transparent. Then encase it with a small dot of transparent for depth.

Vortex Look Reduced & Encased: after aplying the murrini, heat the murrini a little until orange, and poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake or something pointy. Melt it flat and while still orange, get a clear stringer and stick it just a little to the middle of the murrini and twist it just a tiny bit, then burn it off just leaving a tiny dot of transparent. Then turn your flame to reduction (increase your propane) and reduce the murrini till shiny, then encase it with a small dot of for depth.

Galaxy Look Encased: after aplying the murrini, heat the murrini a little until orange, and poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake or something pointy. Melt it flat and while still orange, get a clear stringer and melt it till orange, with both the murrini and the stringer orange touch each other and twist it a little while they cool, let cool befor you burn off the stringer not to mess the design, then encase it with a small dot of for depth.

Black Hole Look Reduced & Encased: after aplying the murrini, heat the murrini a little until orange and also the bead just where the murrini is aplyed, poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake or something pointy a little hard so the murrini kinda goes into the bead. Then allow it to cool and turn your flame to reduction, pass the murrini hole through the reduction flame a couple of times till shiny and then encase it with a small dot of transparent leaving a trapped air bubble(The Black Hole).

Black Hole Look Encased: after aplying the murrini, heat the murrini a little until orange and also the bead just where the murrini is aplyed, poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake or something pointy a little hard so the murrini kinda goes into the bead. Get a clear stringer and encase it with a small dot of for depth leaving a trapped air bubble(The Black Hole).

Eye Look Reduced & Encased: after aplying the murrini heat just a little at a time and aply pressure between each heat cicle, heat, press with paddle, heat press with paddle, heat, press... etc, until its melted flat, then allow it to cool and turn your flame to reduction, pass the murrini through the reduction flame a couple of times and then encase it with a small dot of transparent.

Eye Look Encased: after aplying the murrini heat just a little at a time and aply pressure between each heat cicle, heat, press with paddle, heat press with paddle, heat, press... etc, until its melted flat, then allow it to cool and then encase it with a small dot of transparent and melt it flat or leave it raised.

Eye Look Un-encased & Reduced: after aplying the murrini heat just a little at a time and aply pressure between each heat cicle, heat, press with paddle, heat press with paddle, heat, press... etc, until its melted flat, then allow it to cool and turn your flame to reduction, pass the murrini through the reduction flame a couple of times until shiny.

Eye Look Un-encased: after aplying the murrini heat it just a little at a time and aply pressure between each heat cicle, heat, press with paddle, heat press with paddle, heat, press... etc, until its melted flat.

Star Look Reduced: after aplying the murrini, heat the murrini a little until orange and poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake or something pointy. Melt it flat and let it cool. Turn your flame to reduction and pass the murrini through the reduction flame a couple of times till shiny.

Star Look: after aplying the murrini, heat the murrini a little until orange and poke the center of the murrini with a steel rake or something pointy. Melt it flat.

Theres not much more to it, you will see you’ll get the results on your first try, its very easy, not any complexed technique I hope you enjoyed the tutorial want to thank me for doing this?!? Go buy some of my murrini

P.S: I have just listed the new murrini on etsy, and have revised the listings I had with better pictures and renaming some of the techniques

Sorry if this is in any way confusing, this is my first tutorial. And sorry for my english and any mistakes or write errors

Have a great life

Tiago

Please post your results of my murrini in the gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ALL MY GALAXY MURRINI, ROSE MURRINI AS WELL AS MY NEW TUTORIAL ON MY ETSY SHOP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-18, 4:19pm
Senior Moment

Thanks for all the great information. You've inspired me to work more with murrini.

Old 2010-04-18, 7:03pm

Thank you so much - this is *wonderful* information!
Old 2010-04-18, 10:05pm
I speak Murrini!

Wow, how generous of you to share all of this! That was a lot of work, wasn't it? You did an excellent job - not only with the descriptions but the photos as well!

Congrats! I'm sure it will be appreciated!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-19, 12:44am

Geez, yes, a loooot of work but I hope its apreciated

Thank you all again so much

Tiago

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-19, 4:15am

Thanks so much Tiago for sharing.

Elke
Old 2010-04-19, 7:48am
She's Back & Burnin'

Wow, I had no idea you could do so much with murrini!!!

Thanks so much for all the ideas you have given to us!

Sara

Old 2010-04-22, 7:24pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Tiago, thanks so much for doing this for us! Your hard work is very much appreciated!!

Looking forward to trying these out!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2011-02-24, 5:30pm

I just purchased some of your "galaxy sketch" and "galaxy Hope" murrini. Thanks for the tutorial-this will be my first go at applying murrini so the tut is much appreciated and quite necessary for me. I'll post some photos if I do something pretty!

Truly,
Paula
Old 2011-02-26, 9:18am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Troy I was happy to find this tut because I had lost the little instructions that came with mine and was saving the murrini until I got good enough at applying murrini not to mess them up.

I've had some good success with other murrini lately so I'm printing this out and taking it to the torch with me today. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this out. If I have good success I'll post pics here later this week.

Old 2011-02-27, 2:44am

Thank you for the kind words =]

I hope the instructions helped, and you all have fun with the murrini

if you want to show the results there is also a thread in the gallery

All the best

Tiago

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-01, 5:52am
Hot Glass Neophyte

It's so kind of you to provide such a thorough tutorial! Awesome options!