No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-21, 11:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
Patti, if they seem too small, only heat the spot on the bead enough to make the murrini stick, but not so hot that the murrini can be sunk into the bead. Then gently heat the murrini and lightly pat with a marver or the flat edge of a knife. Slowly continue to heat and pat until the murrini is almost even with the bead. Doing it this way will spread the murrini to a larger diameter.
Kathy, I think this might also be part of my problem. They are not spreading enough because of the way I am applying them. Thanks for the tip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-21, 11:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwelch View Post
ETA: I'm mailing your mica tomorrow. I really didn't forget about it!
Thank you so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-22, 9:18am

Hi there, I recently started making and selling my murrini as many of you know, and I took in consideration all the murrini I bought from other people, I actually also think they are very small, but I had to make them for what people like.

I try to make them between 3mm and 4mm wich seems to be what most of you use and I usually also send some bigger ones then that for use in some different projects that can go between 5-6mm. For that reason I usually state on the listings they are between 3mm and 5mm, most of them being smaller and like 5 or 6 bigger (also although the ones I bought only sell the exact number they say, I allways count at least 33 chips, for them to compensate for the bigger ones

Also in my one of a kind murrini, OOAK1 (sold out) and OOAK2 they turned out a little smaller, between 2.3mm and 3mm but none of them are smaller then 2mm because I measured with a Digital Caliper before cutting them, if they were smaller then that they would not be usable I think xD

Also, if any of you would like some custom made just for you, I would be happy to do it, thinner (although I think the effects achieved with my murrini would not be so visible ) or larger, as thick as they can fit in my cutters

I hope I helped you

P.S: Also if any of you bought or buy some murrini from me in the future, you can allways return them for a full refund as well as shipping and I will make them bigger for you and I promise I wont go grrr like Sadie said I allways want people to be perfectly satisfied with whatever they buy from me, and I want them to say so, if I dont know about it I cant start improving whatever is wrong

Tiago

ALL MY GALAXY MURRINI, ROSE MURRINI AS WELL AS MY NEW TUTORIAL ON MY ETSY SHOP

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-22, 11:52pm

Thanks for your input Tiago!

Old 2010-04-23, 8:28am
Burning through glass

Patti, this is a great discussion, and I'm glad you brought it up. There are so many "tastes" and "likes" to the sizes of murrini, so it is good to get the feedback from buyers, I always welcome it. When I started pulling murrini, mine were on averaging 3mm because I personally liked using the small ones. Since then, from the feedback I received I now pull on average 3-5mm, and that seems to be a good size for most folks. Sometimes I pull them larger when the pattern needs it, and I'll always list the size. When I list my "micros", I'll list that as well.

It's good to see so many artists are interested in the micros (as I call them, they average 2mm). I'd avoided pulling those for a long while because I hadn't heard any interest in them (aside from Chrissi ), but I recently started pulling a bit on some canes just for my personal use. So, this is good info to learn.

Thanks for sharing your opinion Patti.
Renee Wiggins

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2010-04-23, 10:23am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
I'm talking about murrini that is 2mm or smaller...
What a DOLT I am!!! Just ran though my entire history, and I've not sold you any of MY murrini...YET! (WINK, NUDGE!) Sorry about that...

Anyway, all the murrini I have listed, except for my "Girly Skulls w/Pink Bows" (some are 2-3mm) are between 4-6mm, as this seems to be the preference.

In addition, even with pre-heating, I find the larger (7-9mm or bigger) murrini is ultra sensitive and will CRACK (yikes!) if not only pre-warmed on a warmer/kiln but also must be introduced at the back of the flame and carefully applied.

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-23, 10:53am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAge Studio View Post
It's good to see so many artists are interested in the micros (as I call them, they average 2mm). I'd avoided pulling those for a long while because I hadn't heard any interest in them (aside from Chrissi ), but I recently started pulling a bit on some canes just for my personal use. So, this is good info to learn.

Thanks for sharing your opinion Patti.
Renee Wiggins
What is this you say? You're purposefully pulling them my size and chose to keep them all to yourself!?!?!? I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I'm practically positive you could make amends. When I have money.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-04-23, 11:08am
Otter

This has been a very good thread to read through. I have learned a lot about what people like as far as murrini sizes here. I always list the size of my murrini in my listings and sometimes have worried that mine might be to big.

I have also found that people will email me and ask for the larger or smaller ones depending on what they are working on and am happy to work with my customers to find the perfect size murrini for there needs.

I also have a full refund policy on my murrini if you don't like them for any reason I will take them back.

John

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2010-04-23, 2:18pm
Dangerous Woman

Patti I have only ordered murrinni a couple of times and was totally surprized at how small they were. I have been making my own and they are never smaller than about 7 or 8 mm. What I got was maybe 4 mm or smaller. I was shocked! I suppose I'm not applying them correctly. When I got my first batch I thought it was a joke. I thought "I paid HOW much for these tiny little slivers!?!" But it was a fund raiser so I just let it go. Also I don't remember reading anywhere what the size was so it wasn't like I was lied to or anything. Then I ordered another batch from someone else and again I was shocked at the size. But again I don't remember any size being mentioned. So at this point I figured I must be the one with the issue. When looking at beads on line unless there is something else in the picture to give the bead scale it is really hard to tell how big the bead is yet alone how big the murrinni is.

So am I understanding this correctly - that if applied correctly the murrinni will about double in size on the bead?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-04-23, 2:40pm
Tweedle Dumb

Yep. Just set a preheated slice on top, don't push it in, just let it stick. Then gently start melting it in, it will kinda round up, then squish it gently with a marver... repeat until it is flush with your base bead or you can leave them raised too. Just this process should double the size of the murrini, but then when you encase that also spreads it. I've found a little goes a long way. And for the record I thought the same thing when I got my first murrini, What the heck am I going to do with this?

This bead is made with 3mm (ish) murrini. The bead is about 16mm X 9.5

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2010-04-23 at 2:43pm.
Old 2010-04-23, 3:01pm
da General

I'd say the murrinis "grow" about 50% in size.

These are made with Double Helix's ginormous ones at about 6-7mm and grew to be about 9-10mm on the bead.

These are from my Murrini Collection that are about 4-6mm (4 being the smallest and 6 the largest) that grew to about 6-9mm on the bead:

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-04-23, 9:25pm

One question while we are on this topic....if the glass curls inward then how do you get all the layers to show? Wouldn't just the outer layer show? I guess you press it to prevent the curling in, but I have tried this and I can see that it still curls in for the most part.

Old 2010-04-23, 10:02pm
She's Back & Burnin'

I used to make a lot of beads with murrini and find for me the 4-5mm work best. The teeny tiny ones do make pretty patterns for the center of flowers though.

Sara

Old 2010-04-23, 10:08pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
One question while we are on this topic....if the glass curls inward then how do you get all the layers to show? Wouldn't just the outer layer show? I guess you press it to prevent the curling in, but I have tried this and I can see that it still curls in for the most part.
First heat the spot on the bead where the murrini is to go -- heat it quite hot, so you can push the murrini in about 1/3 of the way. Gently heat the part that is still sticking out, only a little heat, then marver straight on. Do your best not to smear. Keep doing this and eventually the murrini will just flatten into the bead without the outside covering the inside too much.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-04-24, 3:48am

Hayley, I've told you before that bottom bead is my absolute fav murrini of yours! Yum yum yummmm!

Old 2010-04-24, 11:36am
Elphaba Lives !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
First heat the spot on the bead where the murrini is to go -- heat it quite hot, so you can push the murrini in about 1/3 of the way. Gently heat the part that is still sticking out, only a little heat, then marver straight on. Do your best not to smear. Keep doing this and eventually the murrini will just flatten into the bead without the outside covering the inside too much.
What FishBulb says works really well. Also, if it's a short murrini, or if you are wanting it to become wider as you marver, you can just heat the spot on the bead where the murrini is going and lightly heat the very bottom of the murrini, but don't push it into the bead - just attach it to the surface. It will stick, and if you are doing like above - little heat ~ flatten, little heat ~ flatten, etc - it will not come off the bead while you're working it.

Old 2010-04-24, 11:49am
I speak Murrini!

Don't forget, too - you can add a drop of clear atop the applied murrini, while it's still raised a bit. Heat and flatten the clear so it's like a little "lid" cap on the murrini. Then as you continue to heat, flatten and press the murrini and the lid into the bead, use a flat-down, straight (no shifting or you risk smearing!) hand-held marver working method. Another tip: as you heat and flatten the clear lid, gently work around the perimeter - as if you were truly putting a lid on top of a container (think "tupperware" here, for lack of a better description) and this will help to spread out the top rim edge of the murrini, as well as "lens" it.

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-24, 2:08pm
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I'm practically positive you could make amends. When I have money.
Of course darlin'! Just let me know! Did you see that I have the Goldrush murrini in Micro size as well, wink?!

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2010-04-24, 2:14pm
Burning through glass

Quote:
Patti, I have a tutorial that pretty much describes the same advice folks are describing how to use them here, but the picts in the tutorial might help to make it clear. Feel free to download it: http://www.jetagestudio.com/assets/P...urrini_Tut.pdf

Renee

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2010-04-24, 8:21pm
Hmmmm.....

OMG De! Those Micro Marbles are so freakin CUTE!!

My

My

Currently on a HotHead w/ Bulk Propane, can't wait till I can use my Cricket!
Old 2010-04-24, 8:29pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Cool It doesn't get much better !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAge Studio View Post
Patti, I have a tutorial that pretty much describes the same advice folks are describing how to use them here, but the picts in the tutorial might help to make it clear. Feel free to download it: http://www.jetagestudio.com/assets/P...urrini_Tut.pdf

Renee
I have to say Renee, your free turtorial is the bomb. I started to write one myself, but when I read yours, well let's just say you have pretty much covered it PERFECTLY!!

~ I think everyone should read it, even if they think they have murrini application down pat!! ~

Old 2010-04-28, 9:02pm
Burning through glass

Thanks so much Kathy! I really appreciate the compliment!

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2010-04-29, 2:03am
Chime

for thicker commercial murrinis, is it safe to still cut them up thinner? Will the whole thing cracks?
Old 2010-04-29, 8:47pm

i cut mine & it usually works ok

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-04-29, 9:18pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimehk View Post
for thicker commercial murrinis, is it safe to still cut them up thinner? Will the whole thing cracks?
If I have one that doesn't cut evenly, I like to use the partial chip alongside a full murrini on the bead. I position it so it looks like the missing part is just hidden behind the full murrini. Afterall, in nature that's the way flowers appear.

Old 2010-04-30, 5:54am

Ok, I am officially inspired to use my murini again this weekend! I have been suffering from not understanding how to get the most out of my murini, with all the tips I am planning to try again.

Thank you!

SRA #C88

Old 2010-05-06, 10:12am
Burning through glass

Good luck Vicki! Let us know if you have any questions.
Renee

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2010-05-06, 11:33am
Bead Obsessed

Most that I get are too large. I end up pulling them down smaller which is fine for me. It gives me more flexibility.

Old 2010-05-06, 12:02pm
Bead Obsessed

It is a great tut Renee! I hadn't seen it before now.