Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-05, 10:53am
Lampworkaholic!

Default Bubbly, Scummy Shampoo Glass?

So I spent a lot of money to see what the shampoo glass fuss was all about. I was expecting a MOP effect.

The rosd are opaque, the glass turns translucent (which is fine) but the beads are full of bubbles and scum.

I'm using a neutral flame and so far just making simple test spacer beads. Am I doing something wrong?

One color, a dark blue, behaved nicely, but the beads are plain pastel blue, nothing extraordinary. The green and lavender colors are atrocious.

I'm reluctant to waste any more.

Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-05-05, 11:18am

Ok, I LOVE shampoo glass. It is very fussy. You have to work it COOL and in the back of the flame. Very slowly work it. Put on some music that will make you SLOW DOWN and move like a turtle, and then make your bead. It will turn transparent and there is no brining it back but that is usually because it was worked too hot. Add more oxy to your flame.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-05-05, 1:22pm
sunscreen me baby

Yes, cool and slow. Don't let it get any runnier than taffy.

~

Old 2010-05-05, 1:31pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Ditto what everyone else has said. Shampoo is one of my very favorites -- and one of the easiest glass to use once you get the feel for it. Slow & cool and VOILE, the bead is done....slick actually!

It's a relax-and-enjoy-the-process kind of glass!

~
~
~
Old 2010-05-05, 1:49pm

Just a bit of a hiss on your Oxygen, upper regions of your flame, and slow and steady. It really is beautiful stuff.
Joan
Old 2010-05-05, 2:58pm
Lampworkaholic!

Oh wow, I'll try, it may not be the glass for me, I do everything at warp speed.

Slow music may help.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-05-05, 3:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
it may not be the glass for me
If not, you don't have to twist my arm to take it off your hands or trade you somthin' But I'm sure you can make it work.

Old 2010-05-05, 5:00pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
If not, you don't have to twist my arm to take it off your hands or trade you somthin' But I'm sure you can make it work.
Let me give it one more shot tonight. If I can't make it work, maybe we can work out a trade.

Old 2010-05-05, 6:04pm
crabby...who me?

I boiled and burnt a sample pack or 2 of shampoo glass many years ago when I was getting into glass.I didnt have the paitience then.I could probably work it nice now that Im not in a mad hurry to melt glass and try every color like I was then.
Jeff
Old 2010-05-05, 8:31pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroglasstic View Post
I boiled and burnt a sample pack or 2 of shampoo glass many years ago when I was getting into glass.I didnt have the paitience then. I could probably work it nice now that Im not in a mad hurry to melt glass and try every color like I was then.
Jeff
Whoa. You just described me!

A little better tonight, but not sure the game is worth the candle. We'll see what comes out of the kiln tomorrow ...

Old 2010-05-05, 9:30pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

"You see it's like this.......I don't know."

Jeff, that is funny. I shared it with my hubby, he's running off to facebook to post it. lol

I recently got shampoo glass. I made some beautiful purple beads. Good luck.

Old 2010-05-06, 10:32am
Lampworkaholic!

I managed to make some spacers with less scum and fewer bubbles. Now how do you incorporate shampoo glass into a bead design with other colors?

I'm having trouble visualizing what else to do with this glass? Shaping it seems to require more heat than it tolerates.

The lavender gave me the most trouble, the green improved when I worked it cooler, the blue was not finicky but also looked like ordinary pastel blue.

Old 2010-05-06, 10:49am

Well, it's not really compatible with anything but itself. I made an encased floral with some CIM colors, can't remember off the top of my head, but I made the flowers in the focal bead match the shampoo glass that I have. I'm just going to make spacers with it. I think the shampoo glass kind of speaks for itself, so I don't think you have to add anything to it. It makes lovely leaves too. You can make fairy wings or sculptured flowers. I made a set of Bell Flowers with my Dona press and they turned out really pretty. Also, you have to anneal it at a different temp.

Old 2010-05-07, 9:39am
Lampworkaholic!

Hmm ... I used some in a barrel focal, with 96 Coe glass. It is fine so far but I used my usual annealing schedule., as I did with the spacers I made.

Can you combine different colors of shampoo glass in one bead?

I have a feeling this glass will go into my collection of glass that gets petted but not used.

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2010-05-07 at 9:44am.
Old 2010-05-07, 10:09pm
one day at a time

Does anyone have any pictures of what beads made with this glass are supposed to look like? The closest thing to shampoo glass I've ever seen was Moretti's old lot 409 translucent yellow.