Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-21, 7:06pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Default Build up on torch head, please help!

HI,
SO, I'm finally using my cricket I got over a year ago!! I've mostly gotten over my fear of lighting it too, thanks to all of you who wrote in my other thread!! SO, tonight I was working and I noticed after a while my flame looked funny.......the little flames were mostly white and one was longer than the others. I tried adjusting but no change really. So, I finished my bead and shut it off and noticed a black gunky build up around the holes. My dh says this is carbon. I knocked it off but it came back again. Am I doing something wrong? Is dh correct in saying I need to clean it each time?
After a year of having the torch I have no clue what happened to the cleaning wire or if it was even with it. Can I just use a regular wire that fits the hole size?
I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong to cause the build up so I won't use my torch till I hear back from someone here.......dont' want to chance ruining it.

OH, anychance anyone has a picture of what my flame shoudl look like running 5 on my concentrator???
Thanks!
Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-21, 7:08pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I get a little bit of carbon every now and then too - if you can, up your oxy and it will help. If you can't, just keep something stainless to run across the face of the torch when you notice some build up. You don't even have to turn the torch off.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-04-21, 7:18pm
crabby...who me?

Clean the torch often to keep the ports clear of buildup.If your candles are not all the same length there's probably some interference.I clean mine every time.Any wire that fits will work.You can get a tip cleaner for a cutting torch that has an assortment of different size wires on it.
Jeff
Old 2011-04-21, 7:59pm
Lampworkaholic!

Work a little farther out in the flame. You have the fire power now. What you are getting is flashback off the bead. There is a discussion about it in the torch topic.

If you still get some, just knock it off with a tool like your graphite paddle whenever you notice it.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-22, 12:03am
He can do the origami

I would be very careful about the wire I stick into the ports of my torch. Some metals are brittle and could easily break if you stick the wire into the port and bend it.

Yes this is carbon, turn up your O2 and work a little further out so you are not working right up on the face of your torch.
Old 2011-04-22, 3:41am
Now part of the Dark Side

I use a piece of Guitar String/Wire to clean my ports it's not brittle. Also I use one of these before I light the torch each day. It's brass so it won't hurt the SS of the torch face.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_178825-47120...Dbrass%2Bbrush
Old 2011-04-22, 6:41am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
I use a piece of Guitar String/Wire to clean my ports it's not brittle. Also I use one of these before I light the torch each day. It's brass so it won't hurt the SS of the torch face.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_178825-47120...Dbrass%2Bbrush
The bristles on that brush are 90% steel and 10% brass. I don't know if that makes any difference ...

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-22, 7:18am
Critter Mom

I had the same problem when I first started using my Lynx so I contacted GTT. It is carbon caused by having your oxygen too low...or in my case, from having my propane too high. Now whenever I use the torch I clean the face with the little wire brush that came with it before lighting it. I clean the ports about every week. I did try to find a cleaner at the welding shop that would fit, got one with the assorted sizes, but even the smallest was too big...so I only use wires from GTT. If I get a little chunk of carbon on my flame while working I just use one of my dental tools to knock it off. It makes a "popping" sound when you do this...just a heads up.

Old 2011-04-22, 7:48am
Mr Brutus RIP

Thanks for the help everyone!! I think I am working a bit too close to the torch, I'll try to move back some. Bonnie, I heard that pop when I tried to wipe off while the torch was on, scared the crap out of me LOL Thanks for bringing it up!!!

I'll get a wire to clean and I have one of those little brushes.....gosh so many new things from using a hot head

Thanks everyone!!
Sue

Old 2011-04-22, 8:47am
da General

Sue - First of all, how long are the candles? When we switched from the HH to the Bobcat, we had the flame too small and that contributed to the carbon buildup so make sure that your flame is 1/4" minimum (use a metal ruler to measure, you will be surprised how "big" 1/4" flame is).

Secondly, call GTT to get a cleaning wire. Make sure you have your oxygen valve on when you clean the ports with the wire. Brush with a wire brush, then clean the ports. After cleaning the port, turn your torch on at its largest neutral flame and whack the torch with a wood dowel (my Barracuda come with a 1/2" dowel) gently to blow out anything you may have pushed in with the wire.

And as mentioned above, work further out from the torch face helps too.

I assume that you are on an oxycon? GTT's non triple mix torches such as the Cricket and the Bobcat are known to have carbon buildups especially on smaller oxycons.

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|