Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-04-08, 4:26pm
Unmedicated since '62

Default repairing boro

can one of you boro guys help me?

I bought my daughter a beautiful glass winged horse some time ago, i think it must be pyrex or boro because of the size - its been coloured on the outside in rainbow colours.

its not the mass produced type, they guy was a glass artist

anyway - i broke one of the wings off accidently

is it possible for me to fix it? could i just melt the wing back on and if so would it need annealing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-04-08, 4:46pm
crabby...who me?

I would put the pieces in the kiln and get them up to temperature for an hour or so,then you should be able to repair it without any trouble.Weld the wing back on keeping everything warm,when your satisfied with your repair,I would put the piece in the kiln and do your normal ramp down after about1/2 hour or an hour. I just did a repair like that welding on broken off flower petals,The piece came out nice.
Jeff
Old 2009-04-08, 5:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
- its been coloured on the outside in rainbow colours.
It may be possible to fix, but if the colors are painted on (some artists actually do that), the colors will probably burn off during the repair.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-04-08, 5:20pm
Dakine glass man

put up some pics of the broken horse so we might better help you please

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2009-04-08, 6:42pm
ManBearPig

If it's clear glass where the wing broke off, you may be able to use some UV glue. That won't work if it isn't clear, though...

Old 2009-04-08, 8:22pm
Unmedicated since '62

i'll take some pics

i dont think the rainbow is paint - it looks sort of fumed - but i could be wrong...

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-04-08, 10:06pm

I would just slowly heat up the wing and the body you want to attach it to. If you do it slowly with a small flame you should be able to do it without cracking, then put it in the kiln. Or you can heat up both pieces in the kiln first, than attach them, depending on the size of the piece. If it's boro it shouldn't be an issue of cracking

Ashlea

Old 2009-04-09, 10:25am
No Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
i'll take some pics

i dont think the rainbow is paint - it looks sort of fumed - but i could be wrong...
It may be some brushed/sprayed on luster. It gets fired on but will burn off in the flame....yup pics would be good.

(Beau & Shani)