Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-04-05, 1:31pm
Flamewoman

Default TAG Blue Stardust?

Has anyone else out there bought TAG blue stardust? I got some from AS and one rod in the lb was dark and sautrated and melts in to sparklie almost looks like dicro beauty. The rest was clearish, about a saturated as a coke bottle and has a tiny bit of sparkly, but not much. Is this the way it goes with Tag Blue Stardust? Is it that different batch to batch? did I get the wrong glass? I want more of the dark stuff, but will I find it?
Oh, and BTW i love my new scorpion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-04-05, 1:35pm
LE cat whisperer

I have some of the blue stardust. I would have to say mine is on the lighter side then the darker. It must be based on the different batches. When I go out to my studio I'll take another look at it. I know blue stardust varies in sparkle and color intensity.

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~
Old 2010-04-05, 5:39pm

If I remember correctly, The newer batches have more "bling" in them. You could check with them at their site. Really helpful folks. The lighter version is good over other colors for just a little sparkle.

Old 2010-04-06, 7:25am

I've gotten some of the 'newer' batch which is deeper blue/translucent with lots of bling. I love it...everything that I bought is pretty much the same in terms of color...you may want to give them a call if you have questions.

They have a Heavy Blue Leprechaun that is very deep color and more opaque with the sparkle like an aventurine. That is also a beauty...

My experience with TAG is that they are pretty consistent. Great Glass!!!
Old 2010-04-09, 7:55pm

I'm having a love affair with TAG Stardust. A medium/dark aqua with lots of sparkle! I team it up with greens and the "blue" shows up, if I pair it with blues, the "green" happens. One of my favorites.

Vanessa
Old 2010-04-12, 9:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsrlove View Post
I'm having a love affair with TAG Stardust. A medium/dark aqua with lots of sparkle! I team it up with greens and the "blue" shows up, if I pair it with blues, the "green" happens. One of my favorites.

Vanessa
I'm with Vanessa. I love that glass, outside ,inside,alone,whatever. Just gorgeous over black.

Kevin
Old 2010-04-12, 12:18pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Yes, there is a light and a heavy version. It's pretty easy to tell
which one you have.

I pull stringers with it and use it to wind around beads. It's bloody
amazing.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-04-12, 1:41pm

Default stardust

Hey, we are always looking for feedback. How many prefer the lighter version? How many the slightly more saturated version?

Really happy you all like the color! Hope you try all the others too.

Paul
Old 2010-04-12, 2:12pm

I love the lighter version and it sounds like I have to get my hands on the darker one! Any chance of a clear version? Clear sparkle...the thought makes my heart go pitty pat.

Old 2010-04-12, 2:20pm

Oh a clear sparkle? Now that would be something awesome.

I have the blue startdust but it's not the dark I think. Comparing it against Moretti it looks like a dk transparent blue. (Not cobalt) dark. You can see through it.

Old 2010-04-12, 3:09pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I prefer the darker more saturated version - but then again, I can
lighten it up by mixing it with some clear - so I get the best of both
worlds .

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-04-12, 3:18pm
one day at a time

Pics please??
Old 2010-04-12, 6:35pm

Anybody know which vendor has the darker version?
Old 2010-04-12, 6:50pm
crabby...who me?

Mine was light with not a lot of sparkle.
Old 2010-04-12, 8:10pm

Think I've been using the lighter, think I would love either depending on how I'm using. I like it over white or colors.

Last edited by Kare TX; 2010-04-13 at 5:32pm.
Old 2010-04-13, 7:33am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
I love the lighter version and it sounds like I have to get my hands on the darker one! Any chance of a clear version? Clear sparkle...the thought makes my heart go pitty pat.
You might want to try out disco sparkle then. Please, check with your cardiologist first It's a silvery sparkle in a clear base, check the GA user manual for more info!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-04-13, 11:53am

Yeah, but disco over white is grayish and to me it looks icky. Lots of fun with other colors for sure! Prolly would help if I mixed it up with lots of clear but it's hard to do on my torch and get enough to do anything with. I just want clear sparkle. Wahwah, whine, whine, boohoo.

Old 2010-04-13, 12:12pm
Pyromaniac

What you want is glitter Glitter makes EVERYTHING better

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-04-13, 12:19pm

Old 2010-04-13, 1:18pm

FWIW, I think the standard here has indeed shifted from the original cloudier base to a more transparent base glass, but the level of sparkle should still be quite high. The actual shade of transparent blue can vary a tad from darker sapphire to lighter sapphire.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-04-14, 1:01pm

our stock here at ABR has some of each. so, i'd say it was batch to batch. but TAG is great at making color, so I'm sure they will get it dialed in. seems the darker is the favorite. i'd have to agree. i backed an opal marble with the blue stardust (darker version) and it was incredible.

Old 2010-04-14, 1:30pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Nevermind.

Ebay:

Last edited by killerbeedz1; 2010-04-14 at 1:32pm.
Old 2010-04-14, 4:53pm
boro color bender

from what i understand, they use the same pots for a group of similar colors... the darker stuff is probably the end of the stardust pot and has some blue leprechaun in the mix... both are just fantastic sparkle colors!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-04-15, 6:23am
Borovangelist

That's part of the fun of the TAG colors

Most are pretty consistent though, like the Elvises. Elvi? Elvis's? The red and yellow.

|
|
Old 2010-04-16, 6:41am
boro color bender

I've always LOVED Elvis... now I'm finding more and more reasons to buy TAG... they are really pushing themselves into new color territory and we need that.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-04-16, 10:46am
He can do the origami

TAG is doing some great things with color and offering more and more choices. Their tendency to offer consistent product is improving all the time and they definitely listen to feed back from the glass community. I just recently got my hands on some of the Blue Stardust and you can really have a lot of fun with it.

I teach off mandrel soft glass as well as work boro, TAG is really developing some great products.

Otter
Old 2010-04-21, 4:07am

I had a conversation with Jen from TAG about the stardust and the process that causes the lighter/darker batches. It is due to both the residue from the previous batch,like a blue Lep,and also the normal tendancy of pot batches to move from darker to lighter glass as the pot is drawn down. Learn to love the shades . If you need just a light or just a dark, call them at TAG and they are happy to get you the shade you like. Ordering a larger qty, like 5 lbs rather than one , can give you glass from the same run and shade. Also, calling opens up the opportunity to purchase really interesting odds not avail. atother retailers. For instance, I picked up some stardust with a cool core of blue lep, and some other with lots of bling in it. Psyched! If you have light stuff, put it over any opaque and be amazed at the shimmer. So nice. Use the dark as a stand-alone. Point is, this is American hand made glass, not some multi-tonnage factory run glass. It is as much a craft as the treasures we make from it.
Try calling them, you'll be pleasently suprised at the warmth the conversation will have and equally happy with the ability to buy some glass not avail. in retail outlets.I'm thinking of some other colors just for the call.

Kevin