Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-05-28, 11:50am
Oooh...Sparkly!

Default Help - asked to do an outdoor demo!

Help - I've been asked to do demos of lampworking at an outdoor festival and I've never done one before. Heck, my first craft show is this coming Saturday and though I sold antiques and crafts a long time ago I'm a nervous wreck! I've been reading up on advice through the threads about displays and such (fantastic info) but I haven't found anything about safe setups for an outdoor demo.

I'm torn about two things. One - I work on a Carlisle Mini with an O2 concentrator and propane tank. I don't want the safety issues of hauling (not to mention renting) an oxygen tank. So I'm thinking about doing the demo with a Hot Head instead on my propane tank. THoughts?

Two - I won't have a kiln with me and the sponsors really want me to sell right out of the annealing blankets. I know that some folks are okay with using just the blankets but I anneal with my kiln and I'm concerned that these beads would crack shortly down the road, even if they sat for 3 hours before the person picked them up. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks very much for any help on this. I'm figuring on needing a good sturdy table, heat proof surface, plexi shielding, plus my materials. Am I forgetting anything major?

HELP *gulp*

Thanks so much,
Lauren
Old 2008-05-28, 12:09pm
Borovangelist

I think I'd use the "I don't want it to explode and take out your eye" defense when telling the organizers you don't want to sell out of th blankets.

OR.....you might consider taking a page from the food network and bring along annealed beads still on the mandrel to slip into the blanket to look like you made that day. That way you can sell with confidence, no one gets hurt, your rep doesn't get destroyed by a bad product, and you still do the demo. Maybe tag the mandrels with a dot of clear nail polish on the end so you know which ones are annealed. Just a thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2008-05-28, 12:15pm
Oooh...Sparkly!

LOL!! Wow - not a bad idea...got me laughing instead of panicking at least! heh.
Old 2008-05-28, 12:17pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowbirdieBeads View Post
LOL!! Wow - not a bad idea...got me laughing instead of panicking at least! heh.
That's the spirit!

|
|
Old 2008-05-28, 3:21pm
Gentleman of Leisure

IF there is 'letricity to run oxycon, I dont see any reason why you can not take mini CC...

Hot head would be ok, it will be limited in basic heat, but with hose and bulk tank you can work all day...

You may want to consider some clear glass or plastic shield between torch and spectators, it will also double as "wind shield"...

WOULD NOT sell or give away non annealed beads. And stand strong on beliefs. IF festival promoters will not accept your reasoning, you really don't need to be there for them..... You could give away your "wonky" beads (less spectacular) as a example of what a finished bead is like.....

Have some one with you at all times torch is lit.... Somebody to "watch your back" while you are concentrating on glass, its tough to watch/control what people are doing around you....

Keep all tools and glass and whatever a safe distant from spectator (behind shield) ....

These are just some thoughts...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-05-28 at 3:26pm.
Old 2008-05-29, 5:36am
Oooh...Sparkly!

Thanks so much for the advice. You're right of course. I'm trying to build up a good reputation for my work. And if I'm not comfortable with it I don't want to sell it.

They're supportive and know nothing about working with hot glass so they'll be okay with any decisions I make.

I have a 2x3' spot to work in - can we say tight? And no electricity - not even sure if there will be any shade or cover, but I'll get more specs this Saturday when I meet with them.

Has anyone ever been shut down at a show because the powers that be didn't want any open flames? Just curious.

-Lauren

Old 2008-05-29, 5:48am
BeadsonCypress

I've demo'd outside many times. Dale is right on....a couple of suggestions which draw a crowd.....Pulling stringer (shows how pliable glass really is). and kids just love the pressed leaves.. When you go from molten glass to color as they cool, they think you are doing MAGIC!! Also I take a crab pot of vermiculite rather than a blanket.
I would not give or sell un-annealed beads. I take a tray of "odds" to give out to the kids (a helper here is a good idea) and ONLY ONE BEAD PER KID...some of them get really greedy!! Bring lots of business cards!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-05-29, 6:20am
Oooh...Sparkly!

Thanks Susan - where'd you get your vermiculite? Considering the small space that might be a better idea, since I could have the pot on the ground and put the rod and bead straight down into it. Geez - I completely forgot about kids! There aren't all that many children at this particular festival, but there are enough that the wonky beads are a good idea. Heck even I like watching someone pull stringers - and twisties!

Old 2008-05-29, 7:54am
Borovangelist

just curious..... in a 2x3 space where are you going to put your merchandise? Your demo space for safety reasons will occupy most of that.

|
|
Old 2008-05-29, 12:41pm
Oooh...Sparkly!

The 2x3 space is where my demo will be set up, with just me, the torch, tools and glass. That's why the vermiculite sounded like a good idea - I could have it down off the tabletop and free some space. The beads/jewelry will be at their table with all of their merchandise, so it will be out of my way and I won't have to watch it. That's the theory anyway...we'll see how it actually works out! Or what they have in mind at this point - I'll find out Saturday for certain.

Old 2008-05-29, 8:03pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Ahem... 2x3 space is way to small..... And if you are not going to give away your beads and you don't care about the demo beads don't bother cooling them in a blanket or vermiculite... Just drop them into a coffee can at your feet to cool and if the break, they break....

IF keeping them IS important, you can get vermiculite at most garden centers....

If space is so small, where are spectators going to be if they are close or within arms reach of "your space" it becomes a problem... You need a shield between you and busy hands (children and adult).

Sounds like you will be relegated to tanked fuel if you are going to use the mini or stuck with HH....

Dale

Old 2008-06-03, 10:42am
Oooh...Sparkly!

S'okay - the small space is the table size with plexi shielding on each edge to keep folks away from the flame, I'll be under cover so I can see the flame instead of in the sun, and the shielding will help keep the flame from blowing around. It'll be a hot head with a tank of propane and 5' hose - which should get to me by Saturday so I can start practicing with it before the show. It'll be tight, but not a whole lot more than what I work at now, honestly. And I'll be doing small beads as well. It won't be ideal, but it's a free opportunity to do a very large festival and sell the finished beads that I bring with me.

I hope.

Old 2008-06-03, 4:13pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Cool....... I think!

Dale

Old 2008-06-12, 5:32am

I demo outside all the time. Every festival we do in the summer we have our shop set up either running a phantom or by buddies CC. We usually work hollow and some small beads. We use fiber blankets and then batch anneal usually that night when we bring the kiln.

There was just a thread started about having a fan running when your working outside. If you ever decide to bring your mini CC and electricity is available i'd recommend using one. It helps keep the fumes going in one direction and helps keep your flame more sturdy while working.

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-06-12, 8:57am
Borovangelist

Hey Lauren,

Do your outdoor show demo yet? Just curious how it went.

Tom

|
|
Old 2008-06-15, 2:28pm
Oooh...Sparkly!

Nope - not yet! Thankfully...we spent the weekend building my demo table, with folding legs, metal sheeting on the top and plexi shielding around 3 sides. It's 2x3' exactly - and oddly enough when I measured my regular work space that's about the size of my studio table! I'm hoping I can have a side shelf or something because I find myself putting the tools down too close to the hot glass ends. Um, yikes. Ouch. It's working alright though

The demo is this coming Sunday! ye gods, I feel like I'm going to get there, one person is going to come by and watch and I'll forget how to get the glass onto the mandrel!

I really like hearing from people who do this sort of thing with regularity. Makes it seem less intimidating.

Old 2008-06-15, 3:43pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

We recently had to jump through several hoops to get to demo at a weekly market.

If you're using bulk propane, you may need to get a propane use permit from your local fire department. They may want to see your set-up and make sure you have a compliant fire extinguisher, regulators etc. We were also advised to put CAUTION tape across the front and side of our work area. It was too windy the last 2 times to have the torch going.

One thing I noticed: people were totally awed watching me pull vine cane. But not so much watching me make beads. (No they're not that bad ) Pulling stringer definitely has a Wow! effect.

Oh- and all our demo beads except one cracked in the fiber blanket- soooo not worth it to sell them- they will most definitely crack. I like the idea of selling the annealed ones off the mandrel. And if someone wants the one you just made, you can just tell them it'll be 5 hours before you can peek in the blanket. haha

Kelly

Old 2008-06-16, 6:00am
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowbirdieBeads View Post
I'm hoping I can have a side shelf or something because I find myself putting the tools down too close to the hot glass ends.
Can you rig up some sort of snap on shelf for under your table? Put a fiber blanket on there and voila, heat tolerant tool rest.

|
|
Old 2008-06-20, 8:34am

How did you build your demo table/stand? Any pics? I am trying to build one right now but not really sure how to do it so it is portable yet sturdy.
Jessica
Old 2008-06-21, 6:08pm

Good luck Lauren,
Let us know how you did!
Bulk propane with 5' hose on hot head?
That certainly would make things easier than 10 canisters of MAPP gas. LOL...
I was looking at the hoses for a demo. Not sure if a adapter is needed for the end fitting.
Hose for Refillable Tank
For an even more economical way to operate the HOT HEAD,use this optional flexible rubber hose to connect your torch to a large, refillable tank of brazing fuel, also called Propylene.

The five foot length is suitable for most purposes, but if you are planning to put your bulk fuel tank outside and run the hose through your window or position the tank farther from your work table, you may need the 12 foot hose.
If you are not using the Creation Station to secure your Hot Head, you may need a smaller hose clamp to if around the base of the torch instead of the Large, Mapp gas size hose clamp. See the end of this section for Small Hose Clamp.

Last edited by beadgirl; 2008-06-22 at 6:14am.
Old 2008-06-23, 8:15am
Borovangelist

well?? How'd it go?

|
|
Old 2008-06-24, 5:43am

Just curious about demo...I am sure you had lots of fun, but who stopped and watched for awhile ?
Small children, women or men?
Did they stay long enough to watch a bead completed?
Thanks, MarieAnn
Old 2008-06-24, 1:55pm
SierraCatz

I also demo outside all the time - inside for shows as well (mostly rock shows). I use a hot head when doing so, even though it is a little noisy. The equipment is just a little to bulky to be carrying around and a lot of venues do not allow the propane oxy mix because of fire hazard. We set up on an 8 foot folding table - sit in the middle- you can put 8 people sitting in front of you at all times.

The most important thing to have is a shield setup to keep little fingers (and adult ones) from reaching in and trying to touch the class. I have a 2 foot high plexiglass sheet in front that sits in a routered grove in a 3 foot length of 2x4 board..an absolute must for safety.

I have teens, adults, kids, and seniors that will sit for the entire process - kids are the most enthralled however. I stopped giving the finished beads out however, because it was costing me too much since I supplied my own mapp gass, etc. Now I just have a coffee can filled will all types of things on the mandrel that they can hold and admire.

I keep a tray of finished & annealed beads next to me if someone wants to purchase something similar that is on display on mandrel!

I demonstrate twisties a LOT!! they are really impressed by the technique from molten to finished product and it takes so little time! They love the flair of pulling & twisting!

I use a fiber blanket to anneal and them take those back home later to anneal in the kiln and then have them ready for the coffee can next time I demo! I keep my beads small and usually critters!

Last edited by sierracatzlampwork; 2008-06-24 at 2:01pm.
Old 2008-06-25, 5:50am

Thank you everyone for sharing great suggestions!
Not Allowed to have bulk fuel there.
Sierracat... Oh I wish I could do twistie on a hot head, ha, ha. The clear turns grey.
Not a problem with opaque colors though.
Vine cane like Kelly suggested!
One last question can someone show me a picture of a hot head attached to a creation station?
Sorry Lauren to hijack this thread.
Old 2008-06-26, 9:48am
Oooh...Sparkly!

Hey! Sorry it took me a bit to get back about the demo and everything - it's been a bit crazy since Sunday - spent yesterday in the ER for an ocular migraine (first one - that was a trip!).

ANYwho - the demo was a lot of fun! The wind cooperated mostly, I faced the water so the plexi shielding kept most of it from interfering with the torch. I actually used the cans of MAPP gas instead of the bulk tank because of safety concerns and they worked well. Plus I had air conditioning! Heh. Well, you know, only around the lap and belly, but hey... I worked on and off about 6 hours throughout the festival, pulled stringers, made lots of small fish beads, and lots of little rainbow stringer decorated beads w/ pulled trails.

How can I insert a picture? I have photos of the table and of my demo I'd like to put in here.

People who stopped - mostly women, some young men, only three or four children. This was the Baltimore Pride Festival, so a bit of a different crowd than a normal craft show. My placement wasn't ideal as far as walk-through traffic and a banner would have been good announcing the demo was going on, but word of mouth brought a lot of people by. I had 10-15 people watch at a time, down to 3-4 at a time - a range. And one large dog (with his owner).

I used a pot of vermiculite and the only bead that cracked was because someone tossed it into a pot of water - don't ask!

The advice I got on here was great - thanks so much! I made my torch holder from an L bracket and two hose clamps, screwed it down onto the table so it wasn't going anywhere. Kept a fire extinguisher handy at all times and a gallon jug of water along with a heavy leather glove in case I needed to grab something hot.

Seems like the favorite thing for people was when I would put the eyes on the fish! And the lips - that got a lot of smiles. Pulling the "feathers" on the rainbows got some good reactions too, with a lot of questions about the colors not showing correctly until the beads were cooled.

So that's the general report. It definitely sold a lot of beads and finished jewelry having that demo.

-Lauren

Old 2008-06-26, 9:51am
Oooh...Sparkly!

AH HAH! Got the images to work! YAY!

The way we built the table was to scavenge old folding legs from a busted up folding table, buy a 2x3' top from the hardware store, a piece of cement board for the fire proof surface, and plexi. I screwed the plexi sides onto added pieces of 2x4 to add stability and carrying areas. Put little brackets to help brace the top corners, then sealed the corners with silicone glue. Cheap, relatively easy, and very portable!

Old 2008-06-26, 9:58am
Oooh...Sparkly!

Oh - my quick cheap tip for a rod rest is a piece of rebar. Works great and you have a long length to use as a rod rest! Not too pretty, but very practical.

Old 2008-06-26, 4:46pm

Thanks so much for the tips and photos of your booth! I am going to be doing outdoor demos this summer and was unsure of how to go about it. You have been tons of help!
Jessica
Old 2008-06-28, 4:50am
Borovangelist

Glad it went well. I hope you sold a bunch too

|
|
Old 2008-06-29, 10:17am
I speak Murrini!

Lauren~~~

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and your adventure! It looks just great and I see that you remembered to bring the FIRE EXTINGUISHER! I gotta tell you, had I seen anything like this as a local art festival back in the day, I would have sat there all day!

Glad it all went well!

~De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro