Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-21, 4:46pm

Default thick encasing?

Can someone tell me how to make the beads that have a little color in the center with clear all around? When I try it I just get an encased bead, without much clear surrounding it. I could keep adding the clear but I'd end up with a giant marble type bead. Is there a simple secret I'm missing?

Edited to say: here is a picture for an example. I wished I knew who did them so I could give them credit. See how some have a little white in center, then clear, then dots. And opposite.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell

Last edited by Donna T.; 2007-03-21 at 4:53pm.
Old 2007-03-21, 4:49pm

Start with a tiny core bead. As wide as you want your footprint to be, but a skinny barrel. Looks odd till you add the clear, but it will magnify it. Hope that helps!

Old 2007-03-21, 4:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMary View Post
Start with a tiny core bead. As wide as you want your footprint to be, but a skinny barrel. Looks odd till you add the clear, but it will magnify it. Hope that helps!
I've tried that, apparently I just need PPP. I'm probably getting my barrel too big.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2007-03-21, 6:52pm
Floral Obsessed

This thread might be helpful for you...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=encasing%27

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-03-22, 12:08am
Viking Flame Keeper

Try to make the barrel with one of the commercial stringers if you use Effetre. 3 wraps sideways and marvered into a barrel is perfect for a nice bead.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2007-03-22, 3:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather/Ericaceae View Post
This thread might be helpful for you...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=encasing%27
Great thread! I've got the general idea now! Thanks eveyone!