AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-09-05, 5:32am

This is awesome, thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-05, 12:28pm
I speak Murrini!

Aw, thanks for posting Sandy! I appreciate and understand what you are saying, and I am of similar belief!

Likewise, though, I completely appreciate what Chau is saying and can understand how some perspectives (regional, religious, etc.) of different sects of our world society may not find this appealing or appropriate, so please don't take what I said as defensive or disrespectful, Chau. As I said, to each their own...

Further, for those of you who are not necessarily here in the States or are familiar with "Federal Laws and Guidlines" concerning the distribution and handling Cremains, please know that it is very important that proper "casting to the wind" (so to speak) parameters be followed so that you are not violating any federal laws depending on where you may choose to disburse the ashes of a loved one.

For one example, when my FIL who was a Merchant Marine passed away several years ago, he had asked that I, as Executor of his Estate, be sure his ashes where "buried at sea". Interestingly, this was a complicated task! It took the assistance of the Neptune Society, who worked on my behalf and were required to obtain a permit to scatter the ashes in the Pacific Ocean, and we had to charter a boat who was Federally certified and obliged to take the ashes to a Federally designated location in the ocean in order to complete this task. It was a sweet sentimental ceremony, and I was relieved that I had followed through and done it "the right way" as he'd wanted. But had I been "caught" without proper preparations either dumping the ashes at sea or scattering them on the beach somewhere, I could have been subjected to some hefty fines, at the very least! http://www.epa.gov/Region4/water/oceans/burial.htm

On the flip side, a few years back there was an article in the Los Angeles Times regarding the dumping of Cremains at various locations in Disneyland http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal...E2%80%99s-999/ and http://articles.latimes.com/2007/nov...s/fi-disney14/. Given that Disneyland officials can't properly leave the Cremains where they've been dumped on the grounds - irregardless of the intentions of "dumpers" to fulfill the wishes of the recently departed - it would appear that ending up in a vacuum and thereafter, who knows where, is a far worse "earthbound" fate than being embedded into a bead which is lovingly created and held close to the heart by those who loved and cherished the deceased.

Just my two cents...
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2009-09-05 at 6:43pm.
Old 2009-09-05, 6:02pm
Channeling Chaos

Hi DeAnne,
Thanks so much for the wonderful, caring tut! I am wondering if you or others can chime in on whether there are certain colors that are usually used more succesfully than others. Any comments would be appreciated.
Alana
Old 2009-09-05, 6:47pm
I speak Murrini!

I've found that a white base, rolled in the Cremains, then a CRYSTAL CLEAR encasing combo is NOT a great one as it looks sort of "blah" and uninteresting, and some may consider it a bit too graphic or macabre. Also, the Cremains against the white, with the clarity and "magnification" of the clear just didn't strike me as interesting.

On the other hand, a white base, then the cremains and a strong colored transparent (such as Med. or Dk. Aqua, Med. or Dk. Green, Med. or Dk. Amethyst) is nice.

Other than this, I've found really no problems with colors, so choosing a favorite of the recipient or a commemorative color on behalf of the deceased might be nice. If you decide to do a Military Commemorative bead that requires Red, White and Blue, I suggest a clear or white base, roll in the Cremains, then add a stripe of white down the center, and transparent red on one side (Striking Red is good) and a strong blue on the other (Cobalt is a suggestion). The Cremains can be seen through both the Red and Blue - rather muted - but the White will encase over the Cremains and not look odd or peculiar in comparison. Hope this helps you...

De

Old 2010-02-02, 10:37pm

Dear DeAnne,

This is a most remarkable posting & I honour and respect you for it. What an incredible way to remember our ancestors/progenitors and loved ones. I recently saw something in the press about a company who make diamonds through some complicated (and most probably very expensive procedure) from the ashes of loved ones & thought well well - that is quite everlasting. Some people even have their ashes shot into space... I think Timothy Leary did that.

But, as a contemporary flameworker to be able to facilitate in any way possible the passing of a loved one for the relatives - well that really is magic, indeed almost priestly.

I can understand that some people may disagree with it - but then it is a very large world out there - plenty of room for different traditions.

I will never forget this post & I think you may well have planted a seed that will bear fruit for generations to come. I hope you may you be recognised for this contribution.

Many thanks for your sensitive and instructional guidelines. Blessings be.

All good things - Greg Ash (funkibeads)
Old 2010-02-03, 12:48pm
I speak Murrini!

Aw, what a sweet post Greg! I'm honored and very touched by your words.

Hugs to you from this side of the pond...

De

Old 2010-02-03, 1:17pm
Give to receive...simple.

Smile

Thank you for the loving way you have presented and shared this with all of us!
I appreciate this information you shared ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-05, 11:58pm

This is a wonderfully done and presented tutorial. Thank you, De!

I have to say - I so wanted to do this for my mother when my brother passed away... but she would have no part of it and was quite disturbed by the very suggestion. Her response really surprised me!

The point in stating this fact is that, although we may believe it's a wonderful way to commemorate someone, the recipient might surprise you with a complete opposite response. I would use caution making such beads unless keeping them myself or getting someone's permission to make such a bead for them in advance.

Just my thoughts. I hope that by posting this, it may help someone else avoid the bad places my conversation with my mother went on the topic!
Old 2010-02-06, 8:00am
Happy Beadmaker!

Just happened to spot this tutorial, De, beautifully & wonderfully presented. Thanks as always for your generous contributions to this community!

Another wonderful cremains keepsake, is to make a hollow vessel and seal them inside, great way to keep your loved one close. My son told me that once I'm gone, he's going to sit down at my torch and make a vessel to hold a bit of my ashes so I'll always be with him (most likely on his keychain, haha, so I can always enjoy his driving LOL). That was pretty sentimental for a guy of few words and who has steadfastly declined offers to make beads!

Best to all,
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2010-02-06, 8:44am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Thank you so much for posting this. I also appreciate everyone else responding with such dynamic suggestions and opinions.
I have wanted to do this with my grandfather's ashes, but I think the subject is still a bit emotional for my grandmother after 9 years. And I bet torching through the tears would be a challenge for me as well.
My husbands father passed away 3 weeks ago, he was cremated, but no one wanted a glass bead with his cremains. I was anxious for the opportunity and to contribute. I guess I will still have to wait.
I had also heard of a family dumping their son's cremains at his favorite ride at Disneyland. The Haunted Mansion. The ride was immediately shut down (you are watched every second of your visit at DL) I'm guessing the ashes did not last long and like previously mentioned, vacuumed up. Too bad for the family.

Old 2010-02-22, 6:45am

have to say having been a developing medium for 2 years now and also a fused glass artist, i decided to make memorial ash glass keepsakes for my family once my mother had passed away via the fused glass process (add small amount of ash between two half inch sheets of glass and full fuse).
the family were over the moon with them and all said it made them feel a connection with her still.
my mother has come through via mediumship with a message to say she was so happy at the memorial keepsakes i made for the family, she also showed me a new designs to make (hearts and vessels) ...if thats not the thumbs up from the spiritworld then i dont know what is.
in actual fact the departed couldnt give two hoots what happens to their bodys after death as they are still very much alive on the other side, all they care about is the greaving loved ones left behind and any guesture to bring some small comfort is all that they desire
x
Old 2010-02-22, 9:06am
I speak Murrini!

Aw, sorry for the long delay in checking in on this thread...but Christina, you'll find the right time and I'm sure you'll be OK when you're ready to make your memorial creations. I hope that not only my feelings shared in my first post - but this lovely posting by Kizzy1 - helps you feel a bit better when that time comes. (((hugs)))

Kizzy1 - what a wonderful idea! I'd never thought of fusing, but that's awesome! I am glad that you've found strength through your expression of love for your Mum (so sorry for your loss darlin' (((hugs))) to you too!) and that your family was pleased and supportive too!

All my best to you both!

De

Old 2010-02-22, 9:16am
Life is good

Hey De,
I think this is a wonderful Idea. My Brother passed away 15 years ago. We just had a sort of family gathering and were trying to figure out what to do with ashes. So that all of us could share a piece of him. We were going to put them is little boxes, but now that I've seen this, I'll be on the phone to see if they would like to do this. I also believe that anything anyone does in their life is their own. And that just because someone may disagree, that don't make it wrong. Thanks again

Old 2010-03-25, 1:32pm
Life is good

Hi De,
I did the cremations with some of the cremations of my brother. I made these 4 for myself, my brother, my sister, and his wife. There are 4 different styles. The large pendant is a rod implosion. The small pendant is a tube implosion. Both boro. The blue dichro is 104 soft. The encased flower is also boro. Thanks again for posting this thread.
Attached Images

Old 2010-03-25, 1:35pm
Life is good

Here are the rest of them.
Attached Images

Old 2010-03-26, 11:15am
working to pay for glass

Nicely written tutorial
I never thought you could do that ?
A special way to keep the ones we love the most with us since the soul is released with death the ashes serve only as a physical reminder for us that are still living . well done DE !
Old 2010-03-27, 5:50pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Melissa!

Great job, Dave! I don't work in boro, so it's good to know that you can work this method in 33 as well.

I love what you did...I hope they were well received by your family members. So incredibly sorry for you loss...that must be so difficult to go through! I think you did a wonderful thing, though...I think your bro would be proud!

Hugs,
De

Old 2010-03-27, 7:05pm
Life is good

Thanks so much De. I asked my family if they would be interested first, and they were really excited about it. I know that my Brother would approve and be honored. He passed away almost 17 years ago, but every time I here "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, I tear up. He played that song during his wedding. Anyway, thanks again for the idea and inspiration.

Old 2010-03-28, 11:52pm
Eyes upon the horizon

De, this is a very lovely tutorial. I've been wanting to do something similar with my dad's ashes, but I can't bring myself to try it, should I mess up horribly. (He would tell me to go for it - he was very encouraging about my glass hobby and in fact got me started with my first kit in 2006 about a year before he passed. But, like I said I won't try it until I'm sure I can pull it off.) Unfortunately, I lost my kitty-soulmate on Tuesday and would like to make my husband and myself something to keep him with us always. I'm not ready yet, still a mess and haven't gotten any torch time in a couple months. I just wanted to thank you for this gift of knowledge because I know one day I'll be able to do this.

Dave, you did a wonderful job and I know these pieces will be special treasures to you and your family always. I have a few questions about your process on the larger implosion, which is just so stunning and breathtakingly magical.. I have done a few rod implosions before, so I *get* the basics. After imploding your design, I assume you pressed the maria on the cremains and it appears you put color behind, as well. Did you implode further after you added these or did you just flatten and finish it off from there? Also, what method do you use to make your loops? I have not gotten good at the "pull, loop, touch" method and have more recently used the "melt a big dot of glass, squish into a tab, and put a hole through it" method. I don't have handy andy's or a reliable hole-making tool, so with the 2nd method my loops are left with imperfections. I hope I'm making sense. I'm just curious because your loops look really nice. Any advice at all about your process would be extremely helpful. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures.

No matter what, I'm going to PPP and PPP some more until I'm comfortable enough to do this.

Old 2010-03-29, 5:41am
Life is good

Hi Melissa,
You are very kind. I am very new to beadmaking and pendants and such. My background, (20+ years ago), was in solid boro sculptures. That being said, I'd love to help if I can. It is a pleasure since all my knowledge has come from all the wonderful people here on LE. So, what I did was first make the implosion. Once I got the one I Liked, I then heated the back and pressed in the cremains. Then, I imploded them a little. That really brings them up into the background of the implosion. Then, I added some black frit, just to fill in the background. On the particular piece that you mention, I actually encased the back with clear to seal it. ( On the other I didn't seal it. The cremains actually melt and fuse with the glass.) As you probably already know, you can kind of look through the front to kind of get an idea of what it's going to look like. Anyway, as far as the loop goes, I wish I had something to be able to add glass and punch the hole, I like that look better. But, what I do is heat the front edge of where I want to add the loop, fuse a small rod, let it cool a few seconds, then heat a portion of the rod and stretch slowly and attach to the back edge. Once this is done, I reduce my flame to a fine point and melt in all around the loop connection to be sure there are no rough edges. Just be sure to go slow and keep letting it cool for a few seconds between sections of smoothing. Also, keep a round rod of some sort to keep reaming the hole, to prevent it from collapsing. Well, there you go. Like I said, I am nowhere close to being an expert at any glass, but that's how I do it. I hope it helps. I'm sorry for your losses, and I agree that this is a wonderful way to keep and share a everlasting keepsake of the ones we love. Thanks again to De for the idea and inspiration in getting me to do this. Good luck when you decide to do this.

Old 2010-03-29, 7:53am
I speak Murrini!

and hugs to Melissa, Dave and everyone who has had a loss.

Dave - you're wonderful to try and help Melissa out so much. I think when you mention "...keep a round rod of some sort to keep reaming the hole, to prevent it from collapsing..." I figure you meant a "tungsten" or other metal rod or pick, right? Brass works well too, such as those made by Maria Richmond, Whimzacalities on LE. If whatever you are using is filed into a point, as well, this is helpful. I recommend though that you use it "outside" of the flame; direct flame can cause the glass to stick a bit and that causes a who lotta other difficulties. In addition, there are the "Bail Biters" that are sold often in the Bead Classifieds here on LE. You might want to post a "Wanted..." in Garage Sale; someone may have a pair you can pick up at a pretty fair price.

Melissa, darlin' - so sorry for your loss and you've had a tough few years. I know that in time you'll find confidence to give this a try...just be patient with yourself and it will come.

I understand your hesitation...it is part of the reason I wrote this tutorial in the first place. I think no matter how long it's been since the passing of your beloved family member/pet, the FIRST TIME you try this it feels a bit strange as you simply don't know what to expect. But you just might be surprised to discover not only the peaceful remembrance I hope you'll experience when you do try, but the joy you'll have at your accomplishment and pride you'll feel when you wear your finished work.

Wishing you all peace...
De

Old 2010-03-29, 8:09am

De,

What a respectful and loving tutorial that can benefit so many when they have lost an important person in their lives. I had a request several years ago to add cremains into a bead for a person who had lost her Bengal Tiger cat. I made a couple beads using fireplace ash as a test to see if this could be done, without compromise to the strength of the bead. Less is more, for sure. The test beads are still holding together but I thought I'd show some pictures of what I did to give others some different inspiration for animals. The ash is deep inside and encased well. You can see a bit by the edges.

Thanks for posting this.
Kathy

Old 2010-03-29, 8:23am
Life is good

Exactly right De. I didn't mean a glass rod. I use a brass rod that has a point on one end. And I agree about not doing this in the flame. Thanks for clearing that up.
Kathy, those are very cool. The encased one I did does allow a small portion to be seen on the edges. Take care guys.

Old 2010-03-29, 3:00pm
Eyes upon the horizon

Oh Dave, thank you so much for answering my questions. It all makes perfect sense to me now. It's helpful to know the cremains spread and "melt" into the glass.

De, your advice is very helpful, too. Thank you. I actually have a brass tool from whimzicalities that she kindly gifted me. In the past I've used a 1/8" sharpened graphite rod to keep the hole open, but eventually it stuck like crazy. I'm excited to try the brass tool for yet another use.

Kathy, those beads are just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Old 2010-03-30, 4:05am
Life is good

Melissa, you are very welcome. Like I said, I am far from being an expert, but I am glad that I could help.

Old 2010-05-07, 8:08pm

Thanks so much, i will try this next week. I pick up my mom's ashes and i think will put in some vibrant colours (as she loved colour) and just simply encase with clear.

Became addicted on HH June 07
graduated to Minor Jan 08
Oxy Con & Natural Gas (frustrating but now great!)
Old 2010-05-07, 8:42pm

I think it is so lovely to make something beautiful that actually has a piece of a loved one with it.
Old 2010-05-07, 10:50pm
Glassy Broad :-)

I like the look of Memory Beads.
To me it looks like the universe in a bead
I've done many of these kinds of beads, and have been known to put the remains into the body of a bird, a heart or what have you.
De, you did an outstanding job on the tutorial, thanks so much for that!!!!
I will include some photos of a couple I have done, the two blue beads were for the Brother and the Grandmother and then the vessel for the Mother of the departed.
Not hijacking your thread I promise
Hugs
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-05-22, 1:11pm
Pincel de Fuego

This is a wonderful tutorial, but I definitely hope it is a LONG TIME FROM NOW before I have a use for it.

Thank you for how sensible you were to everyone and their beliefs... Those beads are certainly something to cherish.

Much love to all.
Old 2010-05-28, 3:18am
Senior Moment

Very nice tut DeAnne. I've been doing bead with cremains also, but I've made murrinis with them and then used them in the beads. I've done several in the manner that you described as well. I made several beads for my SIL making star murrinis and then trailed silver on a lapis blue bead. It looked like the night sky and my SIL loved it. His beloved dalmation, Rockie, traveled on about 3 years ago and he asked me to do that for him.
When my son's beagle traveled on I made a bead with copper mesh to look like a fence and then swirled the ashes going over the top because Annie was notorious for climbing the fence in her yard so she could go play with the neighbor kids. She could climb the fence as fast as the wind so the swirl of ashes was just perfect. My son loved getting that bead.
Thank you for sharing.